FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Tony Still Feels Good Inside Race Car

<<

peanut1439

Post Wed May 25, 2011 9:36 am

Tony Still Feels Good Inside Race Car

Tony Stewart Celebrates 40th Birthday, Still Feels Good Inside Race Car

There are a few ways to tell Tony Stewart is now a 40-year-old.

For one, the veteran has a few streaks of gray hair. He's now a team owner instead of just somebody's driver. And there are so many candles on his birthday cake that when he blows them out, he lives up to his nickname: Smoke.

But as of now, none of the signs that Stewart is 40 have shown up on the racetrack. He's still Tony Friggin' Stewart, the man whose peers voted him NASCAR's most talented driver last year.

As he gets older, will his skills someday decline? Or will Stewart walk away from the sport someday when he's still on top of his game?

"You don't know until you get in that position," he said. "Your heart and your mind might be 100 percent into it, but something (might) happen where you can't see as good or you don't feel as good in the car. Or you might be perfectly healthy and on top of your game and your mind says, 'I'm just tired of doing it.' You don't know what the variables are going to be."

Stewart once said that good drivers never forget how to drive and argued that the only reason a driver's performance may drop off is due to the car or circumstances on the team.

But when he said that, Stewart mentioned that eventually age would become a factor. After all, no one can race forever.

So I asked Stewart on Friday: How does a driver know when his career is starting to wind down?

"I think you just know," he said. "... I think mentally you know, your mind tells you something. It's no different than having a family or anything else – you just kind of know when the time is right. It's when priorities in your life start changing, that's when you can sense that. It's desire, it's health – there are a lot of variables to decide when that day really is that you walk away from it."

Certainly, I'm not saying Stewart has lost a step or is even close. Along with Jimmie Johnson, Kyle Busch, Jeff Gordon and perhaps Carl Edwards, Stewart is still among the drivers I'd want in my car more than any other.

But I wondered if Stewart still feels as good as he did when he was 20.

"Mentally? Yeah," he said. "Physically? Not so much."

Why doesn't he feel the same physically?

"I probably could take better care of myself," he replied.

Wasn't he on a good diet plan now? I asked sincerely.

He offered no response but smiled, gave me a friendly punch in the gut and walked into his hauler...
Those who intentionally live off another’s labor will always want more free stuff!
<<

azk8ster

Post Thu May 26, 2011 1:31 am

Re: Tony Still Feels Good Inside Race Car

I'm more than willing to check him out to see if he feels good, in a car or out of it!
"Faith is believing in things when common sense tells you not to"
<<

HiddenHollow

Post Thu May 26, 2011 7:33 am

azk8ster wrote:I'm more than willing to check him out to see if he feels good, in a car or out of it!

:roll: :roll: :roll: ;) Of course you are!
"I'll wreck my mom to win a championship. I'll wreck your mom to win a championship." - Tony Stewart, November 17, 2011

"Fight For Four" - Annalee, March 27, 2012

#StandWithSmoke #14in14
<<

ndunn

Post Thu May 26, 2011 9:27 am

I think the day Tony has a wife and wanting to have children he'll change his mind about his personal racing. He has so much to fall back on with racing he doesn't always have to race. He'll have a beautiful home to enjoy and being involved in SHR plus his other interests Tony will have a life most of will never have. He's work extremely hard for that life and even he admits it's way beyond what that little boy dreamed of.
The Military Thanks You For Standing Behind Them. If You Can't Do that You Can Always Stand In Front Of Them.....Think About It.....

Thank you to those who took a step forward to save the rest who stand still.

Return to Tony