FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Fan Voted top 33 all time at the INDY 500

<<

michaeljohn

Post Sun May 22, 2011 3:40 pm

Fan Voted top 33 all time at the INDY 500

The three four-time winners of the Indianapolis 500 – A.J. Foyt, Rick Mears and Al Unser – are starting from the front row of "The Greatest 33" after earning the most votes from Indianapolis 500 fans worldwide.

Racing fans selected their dream lineup of the 33 greatest drivers in Indianapolis 500 history from March 18-May 14 at thegreatest33.com. The top 33 drivers in the balloting were revealed Sunday, May 15 during practice for the 100th Anniversary Indianapolis 500.

"It's only fitting that the three greatest legends of the Indianapolis 500, A.J. Foyt, Rick Mears and Al Unser, are leading 'The Greatest 33' to the green flag," said Jeff Belskus, Indianapolis Motor Speedway president and CEO. "We hope the fans have really enjoyed picking their perfect starting lineup and sharing their memories about the drivers who have created 100 years of history at the world's greatest race."

Foyt, the first four-time winner, earned the highest score of any driver, followed by Mears and Unser.

Occupying the second row are three-time winners Bobby Unser, Helio Castroneves and Johnny Rutherford. 1969 winner Mario Andretti, three-time winner Wilbur Shaw and two-time winner Bill Vukovich are in the third row.

Three current Indianapolis 500 competitors are among The Greatest 33, Helio Castroneves (fifth), Dario Franchitti (19th) and Scott Dixon (33rd).
The Greatest 33 program and its interactive website are key components of the 100th Anniversary Indianapolis 500, scheduled for Sunday, May 29 at IMS.

Fans chose their Greatest 33 from a list of 100 drivers pre-selected by an esteemed panel of international motorsports media and historians. Statistics, audio from IMS Historian Donald Davidson and images from the vast IMS photo archive were available for each of the 100 candidates, providing hours of entertaining content. A section of the site allowed fans to compare the statistics of up to five drivers simultaneously, helping make those tough final picks.

A wide variety of daily, weekly and grand prizes also are being awarded to fans at the site. Although voting has ended, fans can continue to enter the sweepstakes at thegreatest33.com for chances to win prizes through race day, May 29.

"THE GREATEST 33"

(Starting lineup order determined by number of vote scores received in fan balloting)

Row 1

1. A.J. Foyt

2. Rick Mears

3. Al Unser

Row 2

4. Bobby Unser

5. Helio Castroneves

6. Johnny Rutherford

Row 3

7. Mario Andretti

8. Wilbur Shaw

9. Bill Vukovich

Row 4

10. Emerson Fittipaldi

11. Al Unser Jr.

12. Louis Meyer

Row 5

13. Mauri Rose

14. Parnelli Jones

15. Gordon Johncock

Row 6

16. Arie Luyendyk

17. Rodger Ward

18. Jim Clark

Row 7

19. Dario Franchitti

20. Tom Sneva

21. Bobby Rahal

Row 8

22. Mark Donohue

23. Michael Andretti

24. Ralph DePalma

Row 9

25. Ray Harroun

26. Tommy Milton

27. Danny Sullivan

Row 10

28. Graham Hill

29. Dan Gurney

30. Jim Rathmann

Row 11

31. Juan Pablo Montoya

32. Tony Bettenhausen

33. Scott Dixon
<<

Rochelle

Post Sun May 22, 2011 6:14 pm

Re: Fan Voted top 33 all time at the INDY 500

Wow, the end of the 500 qualifying was awesome! Marco Andretti got bumped late and had to jump back in line to try again. He made it in but bumped a teammate out. Very tough day for the Andretti Autosport team.
"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe" - Friedrich Nietzsche
<<

michaeljohn

Post Sun May 22, 2011 6:21 pm

it was very exciting for sure, i hope the race has that kind of drama next weekend.
<<

jamo14

Post Sun May 22, 2011 8:07 pm

I was listening to qualifying on our local FM station (that's right FM...that's why it's awesome living in this state 8-) )
It was CRAZY exciting both days...Almost reminiscent of 1995 when both Penske cars (and champion drivers) failed to qualify.
The difference between 1st and 33rd is 2.5 seconds, which is the new record.
Plus it's cool having 2 "no-name teams" on the front row.
The 1st Ganassi car ran out of fuel on the final lap of qualifying. Then the 2nd Ganassi car got the pole, and that lasted for about 2 minutes when Alex Tagliani took it away from Dixon 8-)
Team Foyt qualified 11th (14 machine of Vitor Miera) and 19th (41 machine of Bruno Junqueira (2002 pole sitter). They have a new paint scheme for the cars to make them look like both the 1st & last winning cars of AJ Foyt.

I like the Lotus cars too.

Can't wait til next Sunday....F1 race@ 8am from the streets of Monaco, then the 95th Indianapolis 500, and then the Coca Cola 600.

Wish I had my satellite back for the F1 race :(
The Indy 500 will be blacked out, unless you have a 30 foot tv antennae that can receive Chicago stations ;)
Do something with your life and go get me a beer.

<<

jamo14

Post Tue May 24, 2011 10:31 am

Rochelle wrote:Wow, the end of the 500 qualifying was awesome! Marco Andretti got bumped late and had to jump back in line to try again. He made it in but bumped a teammate out. Very tough day for the Andretti Autosport team.

Andretti reached out to Foyt to ask him if Ryan Hunter-Reay could drive his other car, and appease Hunter-Reay's sponsors (keep them happy).
Foyt said yes, and he will start at the back of the field now in the 41 machine instead of Bruno Junqeiro.

Ryan was the last American driver to win a race back in 2008

He drove for AJ while Vitor Meira was out with a broken back in 2009

“We’ve been competitors for many years but still it’s the kind of relationship when someone is really down and out, you can’t turn your back on them -- at least I can’t,” said Foyt, whose fulltime driver, Meira, will start 11th in the No. 14 ABC Supply car. “This is going back to the way racing used to be, where if people were in a lot of trouble you tried to help each other out. I know it’s a tough deal for Bruno, but he understood the situation. I appreciate that more than anyone knows.”

<<

jamo14

Post Fri May 27, 2011 9:55 am

getting ready for "Carburetion Day" at Indy.

Jimmy Clauson starts from the pole today for The Freedom 100 in Indy's version of Busch series.

Another Indiana driver, Brandon Wagner starts at the back of the field. He drives for Davey Hamilton racing (Davey Hamilton finished a very close 2nd in points when Tony won his IRL title)
Chase Austin is in this race too, driving for Willy T. Ribbs (MJ might remember him)

There's a kid from Texas and a kid from Tennessee (starting 2nd) in the race too.

<<

michaeljohn

Post Fri May 27, 2011 10:06 am

im getting ready to watch it on VS, should be a really good race, no clear favorite,

this list has shown the Jaun Pablo is the greatest driver in NASCAR, no one can touch him ;)
<<

jamo14

Post Fri May 27, 2011 10:34 am

michaeljohn wrote:im getting ready to watch it on VS, should be a really good race, no clear favorite,

this list has shown the Jaun Pablo is the greatest driver in NASCAR, no one can touch him ;)

he's the greatest cause he stole Elton John's magical sunglasses :geek:

<<

michaeljohn

Post Sun May 29, 2011 10:56 am

jamo14 wrote:
michaeljohn wrote:im getting ready to watch it on VS, should be a really good race, no clear favorite,

he's the greatest cause he stole Elton John's magical sunglasses :geek:

if he ever won the coke 600 he would have to be considered as one of the greats, even then elton would just tell him to keep the glasses

Return to NASCAR & Racing