FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

????

<<

tonycrazy

Post Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:01 pm

????

Ok I know they been doin this since practice on this track started.....but what i dont understand is y all of a sudden this track or these drivers r demanding 2 pak racing......never been like that before....
Just curious!!!!!! :?

tc

<<

Lasvegas39fan

Post Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:04 pm

Re: ????

Seems like with new surface 2 cars can break away easier from bigger packs.Also seems the Fords can push longer with no overheating
<<

BevAnn

Post Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:07 pm

yup - two is awesome

way i heard it is that if a third car hangs on, the driver just can't see/feel enough of what is going on with the other two, to feel safe
You ain't nobody unless you've been boo'ed sometime - Bob Dylan
<<

tonycrazy

Post Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:09 pm

Ya i understand the result....i just dont understand the cause...unless its like LV39 said its the new surface........im not to crazy bout it....

tc

<<

Lasvegas39fan

Post Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:13 pm

TC I think it has to be new surface.I see no way they could've did this with bumps they had before the repave
<<

BevAnn

Post Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:16 pm

surface, changes in the car ... learning curve ... i think they'll have to figure something out cause it sounds like it's real hard on the drivers
You ain't nobody unless you've been boo'ed sometime - Bob Dylan
<<

tonycrazy

Post Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:18 pm

Yup i think so to LV39.......and ur right Bev....they all r complaining bout their arms being so tired....

tc

<<

Launch39

Post Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:28 pm

It appears to be the only way to go anywhere. I mean unless you are paired, you ride around like the old races at Daytona. If everyone agreed to do this, I feel it would be a boring, let's play follow the leader type scenerio. To get to the front, it appears you will have to be pushed. If the pusher drops back, you notice the car in front goes no where quick, except backwards.

If I were a driver, it would appear I have two options. With the closing rate being so quick on the coupled cars, do you just hang out in the back and try to avoid trouble, saving your engine, before you find a wing man and charge to the front at the end of 500 miles, or do you risk being in the back with the unstable cars and getting wrecked.

We have yet to see how this coupled thing is going to work over 500 miles. I know it is hard on the drivers, can't imagine the engines getting pushed to the heat limit and backed off over 500 miles of wear and tear.

It is going to be interesting.
Rocketman is ready to Launch!!
<<

HiddenHollow

Post Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:44 pm

It seems like this driving style is very physically & mentally demanding on the drivers. There is no time to relax heading down the back stretch.

I will be very interested to see what kind of shape they are in after the race.

So far, I'm not too fond of this driving style, but I understand that from the drivers' point of view, it's the fastest way around the track and that is what they are looking for.
"I'll wreck my mom to win a championship. I'll wreck your mom to win a championship." - Tony Stewart, November 17, 2011

"Fight For Four" - Annalee, March 27, 2012

#StandWithSmoke #14in14
<<

jamo14

Post Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:54 am

I'm not too fond of the butt buddy racing either.
I may listen to it on the radio, instead of watching it.
nascar has tried to do things to bring the entire field closer together (smaller RPs, creating a system that causes the water temps to rise quicker) but that' hasn't changed the style of racing.
Guess I'm too used to the 2 column draft racing, where a driver can go from 25th to 1st in 1 lap (and back again).
At least this tandem racing reduces the amount of drivers caught up in a wreck, aside from restarts of course.....maybe Newman will bring the car home in 1 pretty piece!
OR maybe he'll be FORCED to leave his car at the track :)
Do something with your life and go get me a beer.

<<

HiddenHollow

Post Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:11 am

jamo14 wrote:At least this tandem racing reduces the amount of drivers caught up in a wreck, aside from restarts of course.....

That's a great point :!: I hadn't considered the effect it would have on fewer cars getting caught up in a wreck...

Something to consider.
"I'll wreck my mom to win a championship. I'll wreck your mom to win a championship." - Tony Stewart, November 17, 2011

#StandWithSmoke #14in14
<<

smoke14rulez

Post Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:19 am

HiddenHollow wrote:
jamo14 wrote:At least this tandem racing reduces the amount of drivers caught up in a wreck, aside from restarts of course.....

That's a great point :!: I hadn't considered the effect it would have on fewer cars getting caught up in a wreck...

Something to consider.

I dunno', I miss the "pack racing"...especially when 3 wide, VERY nerve weacking, edge of the seat racing. I don't get the same "feeling" with the 2X2 stuff. :|
Image Image
...is that a breadstick or are you just happy to see me?
<<

beaverpond

Post Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:23 am

What I have also heard a couple of drivers comment on is that they can't see what is in front of them when driving so close to each other, but it does give them incredible speed. One of the things I also heard is that the size of the rear spoiler has more than doubled in size making it more difficult for the car in the rear to see out the windshield of the car in front.
<<

HiddenHollow

Post Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:44 am

The truck race last night was more the style I like to watch. The trucks can't stay hooked up because the bumpers don't line up. Maybe the COT needs a bumper tweak. That will stop the 2-car tango :!:

#StandWithSmoke #14in14

Return to NASCAR & Racing