FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

What is going on with the #14 and Tony?

<<

osoblu

Post Mon May 16, 2011 9:50 am

What is going on with the #14 and Tony?

Can't get the balance right on short tracks? Tony wanting to quit after going down 5 laps? This is something new to me being a long time Stewart fan. Never heard him utter the word quit before. Hopefully they can turn it around on the 1 1/2's. Don't like what I'm seeing at all and am mostly confused about it. Anyone else confused?
<<

Smoke_14

Post Mon May 16, 2011 10:49 am

Re: What is going on with the #14 and Tony?

Besides 2009, Tony has been junk on the 1 mile or less tracks. He backed into a couple of top-10's at Dover last year and really has lost it at Richmond the last few years. Even Bristol has been poor. If a team is going to struggle anywhere, I guess you would want it on the short tracks since there isn't many of them. He was WAY off yesterday.

I was at the race and listening to his scanner. Haven't heard him that mad in a LONG time. He was at one point telling the crew that he hasn't decided where he wanted to wreck the car yet. The car would just not turn. He was a moving target out there. I thought the team might have a decent run, since Darlington is a good indicator of how a team will run at Dover. He was strong at Darlington, but man, was just not even close yesterday.

The car he brought should be trashed. That chassis has consistently been a horrible chassis. I'm not sure why they continue to bring it out. Another possibility could be that it was supposed to be overcast and cool, yet was sunny and hot. Maybe there wasn't enough adjustability in the car to adapt to the track conditions. Though others seemed to make it work. On top of that, the track was slick and hot, and that really falls into Tony's type of track. So that was the biggest thing that shocked me.

It's on to Charlotte, and we will see what they have there. A 600 top-5 will be a big morale booster for this team. After what happened on Sunday, they all need it. I'm not going to panic yet. It just seems that on the short tracks is where this team is off. If that is the case, and they continue to run strong at the 1/5 + tracks, then he will be ok.
Leave the Ears On the Dog
<<

midwesternsmoke

Post Mon May 16, 2011 12:45 pm

Smoke_14 wrote:Besides 2009, Tony has been junk on the 1 mile or less tracks. He backed into a couple of top-10's at Dover last year and really has lost it at Richmond the last few years. Even Bristol has been poor. If a team is going to struggle anywhere, I guess you would want it on the short tracks since there isn't many of them. He was WAY off yesterday.

I was at the race and listening to his scanner. Haven't heard him that mad in a LONG time. He was at one point telling the crew that he hasn't decided where he wanted to wreck the car yet. The car would just not turn. He was a moving target out there. I thought the team might have a decent run, since Darlington is a good indicator of how a team will run at Dover. He was strong at Darlington, but man, was just not even close yesterday.

The car he brought should be trashed. That chassis has consistently been a horrible chassis. I'm not sure why they continue to bring it out. Another possibility could be that it was supposed to be overcast and cool, yet was sunny and hot. Maybe there wasn't enough adjustability in the car to adapt to the track conditions. Though others seemed to make it work. On top of that, the track was slick and hot, and that really falls into Tony's type of track. So that was the biggest thing that shocked me.

It's on to Charlotte, and we will see what they have there. A 600 top-5 will be a big morale booster for this team. After what happened on Sunday, they all need it. I'm not going to panic yet. It just seems that on the short tracks is where this team is off. If that is the case, and they continue to run strong at the 1/5 + tracks, then he will be ok.

Well, I heard Tony on the Johnboy and Billy show on Friday and he did say that they can't seem to find a comfortable balance on the short tracks. He also said that if they can keep it together on the intermediate tracks, they'll be okay. He also said that he considers Kyle a friend and that he's a helluva race car driver, and that he sees alot of himself in Kyle and that he can appreciate the way Kyle tells it like it is.
Unless you've experienced the Unconditional Love and Loyalty of a good dog, you have yet to live.
"GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS,ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS"[/[color=#FF4000]
color]
<<

Smokeshow14

Post Mon May 16, 2011 5:18 pm

After his fueling issues his day went to he'll. I think that was thelongest day at Dover ever. They got some work to do. Coke 600 will be a great chance to win.
Cup: 14, 1, 29, 88, 99, 11, 17, 39, 15, 5, 2, 16
NW: 7, 31, 3, 11, 60, 88, 12
Trucks: 9, 88, 3, 7, 17, 31
IRL: 10, 11, 12, 26, 3, 38, 27
RIP Dan Wheldon
"Fight for Four"- Annalee
You got to have a big gigantic drum kit.
<<

wolfgang

Post Mon May 16, 2011 9:05 pm

?
Last edited by wolfgang on Tue May 17, 2011 9:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.
WHEN THE GREEN FLAG DROPS, THE B.S. STOPS !
<<

Smoke_14

Post Mon May 16, 2011 10:58 pm

Tony and Kyle have always gotten along. I would say that besides Neman & Harvick, Rowdy and Jr are smokes closest friends off the track.
<<

Schmoopy1000

Post Mon May 16, 2011 11:07 pm

Smoke_14 wrote:Tony and Kyle have always gotten along. I would say that besides Neman & Harvick, Rowdy and Jr are smokes closest friends off the track.

must make it pretty interesting with harvick & Kyle having their tiff
ImageImageImage
<<

Smokeshow14

Post Mon May 16, 2011 11:43 pm

That chassis the last three races it ran were Bristol, and the last two Dover races. Struggled in all three of them. Time for a total rebuild of the car or just donate that to some college.

They need to run well everywhere. Tony can run excellent at Dover two wins and over a thousand laps lead there. Unacceptable (Yes I dare say it) performance by the 14 on Sunday not very fun to watch.
RIP Dan Wheldon
<<

Smoke_14

Post Tue May 17, 2011 6:20 am

I have been going to Dover since 1994. I don't expect Tony to win at Dover but I at least think he can get a top 5/10. Tony hasn't really led any laps at Dover since 2004. Yeah a few here and there because of pit stops or he gambled like in the spring race in 2010. But really his dominance at Dover has been over. Both wins came in 2000.
<<

Smoke14TS

Post Tue May 17, 2011 6:22 am

Smoke_14 wrote:I have been going to Dover since 1994. I don't expect Tony to win at Dover but I at least think he can get a top 5/10. Tony hasn't really led any laps at Dover since 2004. Yeah a few here and there because of pit stops or he gambled like in the spring race in 2010. But really his dominance at Dover has been over. Both wins came in 2000.

Agree, it's long gone.
"This one's for every one of those fans in the stands that pull for me every week and take all the bull**** from everybody else." - Tony Stewart, July 29, 2007

"My fans have more balls." - Tony Stewart on Jeff Gordon's fans.
<<

wolfgang

Post Tue May 17, 2011 8:52 pm

Schmoopy1000 wrote:
Smoke_14 wrote:Tony and Kyle have always gotten along. I would say that besides Neman & Harvick, Rowdy and Jr are smokes closest friends off the track.

must make it pretty interesting with harvick & Kyle having their tiff

They don't get involved in each others affairs as far as what goes on, on the track.Kevin helped Kyle when he started his truck team,then Kyle bought Rick Wren out from under Kevins nose.The Darlington incident doesn't help matters bettween their relationship for sure.Tony is still friends with Joe Gibbs and that organization and that's how i see Kyle and Tony getting along.Since i don't know that for fact,it's just my guess about Tony and Kyle getting along.Everytime it seems i start to taking a liking to either Kyle or Carl Edwards,they show the side that never changes,%ssholes being my first thought.Don't know how these two are in person,but from what i see and hear on the track i can't see past that.
WHEN THE GREEN FLAG DROPS, THE B.S. STOPS !
<<

Smokeshow14

Post Thu May 19, 2011 12:13 am

Smoke_14 wrote:I have been going to Dover since 1994. I don't expect Tony to win at Dover but I at least think he can get a top 5/10. Tony hasn't really led any laps at Dover since 2004. Yeah a few here and there because of pit stops or he gambled like in the spring race in 2010. But really his dominance at Dover has been over. Both wins came in 2000.

I believe Tony can win at any race track at any time.
RIP Dan Wheldon

Return to Tony