FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Old King fan - now New Kurt fan

<<

MtnArch

Post Thu Dec 26, 2013 1:39 am

Old King fan - now New Kurt fan

I've been a NASCAR fan since before it was "cool" (1970?), was able to visit Petty Enterprises garage during the summer of 1974 and was a Richard Petty fan until he retired (... okay, STILL an RP fan!). My ex-wife wasn't interested in NASCAR and until I purchased my SiriusXM subscription in 2010 I had fallen away, but have "found the way" back!

Looking for a new driver to follow I decided to look for an underdog and loved seeing Kurt drive the 51 to better finishes than it should have finished. Then watched him move to the 78 and take them to where no single-car team has gone before - the Chase! After that I was hooked!

Looking forward to what Kurt and Daniel Knost will do this year with SHR!

Cali Mtn Architect
Alan
"MtnArch"
<<

jdpirate

Post Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:10 am

Re: Old King fan - now New Kurt fan

Welcome to the Garage, Alan!

Ummm....70's huh? Glad to know there's someone else that knows those years ;)

It eill be an interesting year to see how SHR does...
I'm Living my life the way I want to..... Tony Stewart
Never Quit..... Marcus Luttrell Lone Survivor
<<

Wordguy50

Post Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:21 pm

Welcome, Alan, you say you like the underdog ... strange isn't it that we can still use that term when we're talking about a past NASCAR champion? I'm glad you've decided to join this bunch.
Hey, old timer, gotta tell ya one of my earliest memories of Kurt: Race in California, had to be 01, he qualifed dead last and had a tire go flat on the parade lap; no problem, into the pits to change it, but the gas guy ran out with the tire changer and topped off the tank; big problem. NASCAR penalty, down a lap.
So he starts 43rd place, already down a lap. (no lucky dogs in those days, remember?). Dammed if he doesnt pass every car on the track, and when he passes the lead car, he gets the penalty lap back. Benny Parsons (?) announcer deadpans: 'won't do him no good, he's still in 37th place.'
Kurt keeps plugging away, finally finishes in the top 15, even with a cut tire late in the race. Nobody nowhere will ever put that into their top 15 NASCAR moments, but it was the day that made me a solid Kurt fan, even if I have had to put on and scrape off a succession of 97's, 2's, 22's, 51's and 78 car decal. Maybe the 41 will stick.
Welcome aboard. -- wordguy
<<

MtnArch

Post Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:59 pm

Thanks for the welcome guys!

Can't wait for racing to start - didn't get to watch any of the Sprint Cup practices but did get to see Saturday's Nationwide practice! It was a nice fix, but it just whet my appetite for the season to REALLY start!

Go Kurt!!
Alan
"MtnArch"
<<

mark01

Post Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:12 am

Hey guys,watched my first race at bristol in 68 when there was two slabs of concrete,one on each side,and ya,loved Petty too.I still sit in the same seats,now metal at bristol.,Watch out for that 41 this year,the Outlaw is gonna roll.

Return to Introduce Yourself