FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Drivers and foul language on the radio

<<

michaeljohn

Post Fri May 06, 2011 7:34 am

Drivers and foul language on the radio

NASCAR fans love to see the sport’s top drivers show some raw emotion.

Jeff Owens 72x92 20091216182021 JPG

Jeff Owens

Whether it’s ripping another driver for being an “idiot” on the track, wrecking someone in retaliation, tossing a helmet at an offending car or watching two drivers go at it in the garage or on pit road, such emotion is part of what drives the sport’s popularity.

And if the fans love it, so do NASCAR officials – who declared open season on such outbursts last year with its “boys, have at it” decree – as do its TV partners, the media and, in some cases, even sponsors.

In essence, raw emotion sells. It sells in most sports, but particularly in NASCAR, where danger and aggression are part of the game.

But when does that raw emotion become a bit too raw?

When does it cross the line between genuine, competition-fueled emotion and x-rated displays of outrage not fit for prime time?

It might have started inching toward that line Saturday night at Richmond International Raceway.

Nowhere is raw emotion more prevalent than in radio communications between a driver and his crew.

It’s common to hear drivers lose their cool and deliver some offensive diatribes toward other drivers or their own crew during the heat of battle.

Lambasting another driver when he rams the rear of your car or sends you spinning into the wall is understandable.

Berating your crew when it just cost you 10 spots on pit road is expected and even a bit acceptable.

Some drivers have been known to bark at their team owner or even NASCAR officials.

But the language some drivers are using is getting close to crossing the line – especially when the whole NASCAR world is listening.

Kurt Busch and Martin Truex Jr. both delivered tongue-lashings to their crews at Richmond that made you hope your mother wasn’t listening or that your children weren’t following the race on Twitter.

After a slow pit stop and a parts failure on his car, Truex screamed, “You’re all (expletive) fired. Every (expletive) one of you.”

Few drivers have had worse luck this year than Truex. He and his Michael Waltrip Racing team have run well all season only to have something go wrong almost every week. When it happened again at Richmond, Truex lashed out.

But Truex’s outburst was tame compared to Busch’s profanity-laced abuse.

After several sarcastic rants toward his team, Busch dropped more F-bombs than a B-1 bomber.

“We look like a monkey (expletive) a football. The (expletive) Penske (cars) are a (expletive) joke. (Expletive) everybody,” he yelled.

Busch is not the only driver – and certainly not the only athlete – to use such language during moments of frustration in the heat of battle.

Some of NASCAR’s worst offenders are normally mild-mannered drivers you would never expect to react with such venom or use such language. (Truex fits that category, which demonstrates just how much he lost it Saturday night.)

But when the competitive juices are flowing and the fire of intense competition reaches a fever pitch, athletes do and say things they normally wouldn’t. That fire and desire – and the baggage that may come with it – is what makes them world-class athletes.

But it’s also what stirs up the demons that sometimes bring out the worst in people and make them cross the line of acceptable behavior.

Busch was once parked during a 2005 race at Darlington for crudely cussing NASCAR officials and throwing a water bottle at one of them. His brother, Kyle, was penalized last year for flipping off NASCAR officials on pit road.

Kurt Busch, Kevin Harvick and others are particularly cruel and abusive to their crews when things go wrong.

But their behavior and language is by no means rare in the sports world.

We would be shocked and outraged at some of the things that are said on NFL playing fields or inside MLB dugouts. The language used when some major league managers or players are arguing with baseball umpires is so crude it has become legendary.

But there’s a big difference in those fits and the ones NASCAR drivers have during races – NASCAR’s tirades are not private.

They are broadcast over radio frequencies that are available to anybody at the track with a scanner or the radio or Internet technology that allows them to listen in.

And, as a result, those radio transmissions are often rebroadcast by the television networks covering the race and widely reported on Twitter and other websites following the action.

Right or wrong, drivers aren’t just talking to their crews when they go on a profanity-laced rant. They are talking to the whole NASCAR world, and the exchange is then spread far and wide through numerous other media sources.

That raises the question: Should NASCAR continue to allow fans to listen in on those radio transmissions?

Or should it consider censoring those conversations and cut off access because of the potentially offensive nature?

It’s a complex issue, one likely to spark great debate among a wide range of fans, competitors, media and sponsors.

The bottom line, though, is that NASCAR officials shouldn’t even have to consider such a decision.

Drivers should be professional enough to police themselves and refrain from using such offensive language, even in the heat of battle. They should be conscious of the fact that fans and others are listening and choose their words and rants more carefully.

They wouldn’t use such language during a television interview. Unfortunately, they have to use the same caution during “private” conversations they know are being aired publicly.

Access to drivers and competitors is one of NASCAR’s biggest attractions and greatest assets.

Listening to conversations between the drivers and their crews during a race – and having access to their strategy and emotions – is one of the best parts about being a NASCAR fan or covering the sport.

It makes NASCAR unique, giving its fans and media insight that is not available in other sports.

Fans are not allowed inside NFL or MLB locker rooms or on the sidelines during games; they are not privy to conversations that go on inside NFL huddles or inside MLB dugouts. They can’t listen in on conversations between players and coaches on the sidelines or around the pitchers mound.

In NASCAR, they can. They have access to practically every conversation between a driver and his spotter, crew chief or team owner. They can even listen to NASCAR officials make decisions and issue rulings.

And, as part of that, they also are privy to the arguments and rants and abuse that often take place among competitors.

NASCAR should not have to step in and restrict or prohibit that access because some drivers can’t control their emotions.

NASCAR, in fact, should continue to allow fans to hear the good, the bad and the ugly that comes out of the mouths of its competitors.

But those competitors need to be more aware of the ramifications of such outbursts and learn to control their emotions – or at least their language – a bit more.
<<

tlmerk

Post Fri May 06, 2011 10:25 am

Re: Drivers and foul language on the radio

Well that was kind of an interesting read. I'm not sure how I feel about this question. I think drivers should be able to say whatever they want on the radio without having to filter it, but is there a privacy issue here to consider? Listening in on their radio transmissions is interesting. I did it for several years a couple years ago. I don't think the driver should have to worry about whether or not his language is clean as he drives around the track at 200 mph and censorship never feels right to me. Should we just do away with the public listening in? Should we give the drivers privacy? I don't think their foul language is an issue. We all hear and say worse in our own lives. Don't have the radio playing in front of your kids if that's your concern? I don't know....
Where there's Smoke, there's fire!
<<

Smoke14Wins

Post Fri May 06, 2011 12:34 pm

I believe drivers need to be able to vent off steam during a race. It's not law we have to have the right to listen in to their radio talk, it's a privilege being given to us fans & it not mandatory that we listen in. It's like the warning lables on alcohol, cigarettes, or anything else. You have to take responisbility & like the radio communications, it's no different, you need to be responsible if you want your children to listen in. A good bit of homes now days......kids are already use that that kind of choice words anyway. But for those who aren't......it's called use parenting skills.

My kids are at the age they're learning stuff at school that they don't hear at home. I'm not going to shield them from what the real world is, they need to know things, learn, & know right from wrong about them.
Smoke
"We know that Mother Nature is a woman. If she were a man, there would be no rain on race day."
<<

aws14

Post Fri May 06, 2011 4:54 pm

Personally, listening to the drivers, regardless of what they say, is sometimes the most entertaining part of the race. Our being able to listen is a privledge, so I don't think anyone has the right to criticize them. If you don't want your kids to hear it, don't let them listen. Besides, I've heard the same and worse from fans at the races and they don't seem to care if children are around.
<<

Heather14

Post Fri May 06, 2011 5:43 pm

I agree I love listening to tony on the radio he and harvick are the most entertaining. Plus if you go to the race I had people around me talk worst let them say what they want on the radio!
<<

michaeljohn

Post Fri May 06, 2011 8:45 pm

i agree drivers should be able to speak as they wish, however, when people like truex and biffle threaten their teams with their jobs, it is uncalled for, would it be ok if the crew threatened the drivers with their job, every time they crashed????
<<

Rochelle

Post Fri May 06, 2011 9:39 pm

michaeljohn wrote:i agree drivers should be able to speak as they wish, however, when people like truex and biffle threaten their teams with their jobs, it is uncalled for, would it be ok if the crew threatened the drivers with their job, every time they crashed????

Actually, for a few of the drivers, I'd like to hear that. At least for the ones that go out there and pinball other drivers race after race. It's not as if the drivers have that type of control over the crews though, or vice versa. I just think it would be kind of funny, what's good for the goose as they say...
"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe" - Friedrich Nietzsche
<<

dirt93

Post Sat May 07, 2011 12:01 am

I think it's the drivers and teams right to say whatever they want. The teams have their own way of dealing with the foul language, yelling, etc.

We are lucky enough to get to listen.... If you don't like it then don't listen!!
Here kitty kitty.. come get you some of this!!
<<

michaeljohn

Post Sat May 07, 2011 12:31 am

as i said, i dont care what the drivers say, if they want to flip out scream and cuss im fine with that, but dont threaten someone with their job, its a low tasteless move, its called mutual respect, you can get angry at people, scream and yell like your world is falling apart, but dont threaten, makes ya look like a bully.........
<<

wolfgang

Post Sat May 07, 2011 9:07 pm

What i find amusing is it all depends on who it is that's doing the complaining as to whether it's whining or passion.Attitudes don't just come about,they are developed by both sides.Passion is frustration and whining is what JPM is going to do next time Ryan coal cocks him! :mrgreen:Personally i prefer drivers and crews to be themselves as we are all human and whether it's passion or whining,it beats the #### out of listening to the same old corperate bs! ;)
<<

Smoke_14

Post Sun May 08, 2011 12:37 am

They should allow the drivers/crews to say whatever they want, and if the fans don't like it, then they don't have to listen.
Leave the Ears On the Dog
<<

SmokeFan14

Post Mon May 09, 2011 11:40 am

The radio is the only source of communication between the driver and his Crew Chief & Spotter. It it takes profanity to get a point across, then you do what you got to do.

I speak two languages; English & profanity and I'm #### good at both, and I would never tell a driver he or she has to censor themselves.

You don't want to hear it? Change the channel...

Speak on drivers!
"Where there's Smoke, There's Racin'!"
<<

azk8ster

Post Wed May 11, 2011 3:15 am

dirt93 wrote:I think it's the drivers and teams right to say whatever they want. The teams have their own way of dealing with the foul language, yelling, etc.

We are lucky enough to get to listen.... If you don't like it then don't listen!!

HELLO, can i get an "A-F'ing-MEN!" ;-)
"Faith is believing in things when common sense tells you not to"
<<

muskrat3

Post Thu May 12, 2011 4:55 pm

azk8ster wrote:
dirt93 wrote:I think it's the drivers and teams right to say whatever they want. The teams have their own way of dealing with the foul language, yelling, etc.

A Fing AMEN.
There shouldn't even be a debate. If people want to listen to the unedited version and the spontanous verbage, then you deal with it. I think I would fall over laughing if I evr heard a driver say " Gosh dang it, thats okay guys" Or "Oops, please tell Mr Johnson that I didn't mean to get in his way" Can ya just imagine.
I would rather be hated for who Iam the Loved for What Iam not
<<

tonycrazy

Post Thu May 12, 2011 6:45 pm

muskrat3 wrote:
azk8ster wrote:

A Fing AMEN.
There shouldn't even be a debate. If people want to listen to the unedited version and the spontanous verbage, then you deal with it. I think I would fall over laughing if I evr heard a driver say " Gosh dang it, thats okay guys" Or "Oops, please tell Mr Johnson that I didn't mean to get in his way" Can ya just imagine.

AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! it is a privilege for us to have the access.....if ya dont like it then just dont listen....that is THEIR venue to say what they want.....its THEIR communication access not ours.....we r just being allowed to hear it....if to many start complaining then that option could be gone and then we all lose.....so stop whinning bout what they say.....

tc

Next

Return to NASCAR & Racing