FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

We lost another Driver :(

<<

Schmoopy1000

Post Sun Aug 17, 2014 1:04 pm

We lost another Driver :(

The driver of a three-quarter midget car was killed in a crash today at Wall Stadium Speedway, state police said.

Amanda Gambacorto, 21, of the Belford section of Middletown, was pronounced dead at Jersey Shore University Medical Center in Neptune at 1:20 p.m., less than an hour after the crash, State Police Capt. Stephen Jones said.

Gambacorto was participating in a driving clinic involving the small race cars and was going around an asphalt track when she lost control of the car and hit a wall, Jones said.

Gambacorto was the only person in the car, and there were no other injuries, Jones said.

The driver was following another vehicle at the time of the crash, he added.

Gambacorto's LinkedIn page says she is a student at the State University of New York at Stony Brook and another website says she was studying environmental humanities and philosophy.

Brick-based Green Flag Driving Experience, a recreational racing company, operates the program at Wall Stadium for novices as well as for advanced race car drivers.

Its website describes the three-quarter midget cars as small-scale race cars “with a very high power-to-weight ratio” that can reach speeds of more than 90 mph.

It says drivers, who must wear race suits and helmets, are given an introduction and an orientation that covers the basics of safety skills and car handling.

A representative from Green Flag did not return a call and email for comment.

A sub-unit of the state police’s fatal accident unit that investigates speedways was on the scene.

Jones said an initial review showed the safety equipment in use was in compliance with New Jersey regulations.

The Wall Stadium Speedway opened in 1950, and is located off Route 34.

All scheduled events at the track were canceled tonight.

Stephen Stirling contributed to this report.
ImageImageImage
<<

jdpirate

Post Sun Aug 17, 2014 4:32 pm

Re: We lost another Driver :(

Schmoopy1000 wrote:The driver of a three-quarter midget car was killed in a crash today at Wall Stadium Speedway, state police said.

Amanda Gambacorto, 21, of the Belford section of Middletown, was pronounced dead at Jersey Shore University Medical Center in Neptune at 1:20 p.m., less than an hour after the crash, State Police Capt. Stephen Jones said.

Gambacorto was participating in a driving clinic involving the small race cars and was going around an asphalt track when she lost control of the car and hit a wall, Jones said.

Gambacorto was the only person in the car, and there were no other injuries, Jones said.

Gambacorto's LinkedIn page says she is a student at the State University of New York at Stony Brook and another website says she was studying environmental humanities and philosophy.

Brick-based Green Flag Driving Experience, a recreational racing company, operates the program at Wall Stadium for novices as well as for advanced race car drivers.

Its website describes the three-quarter midget cars as small-scale race cars “with a very high power-to-weight ratio” that can reach speeds of more than 90 mph.

It says drivers, who must wear race suits and helmets, are given an introduction and an orientation that covers the basics of safety skills and car handling.

A sub-unit of the state police’s fatal accident unit that investigates speedways was on the scene.

Jones said an initial review showed the safety equipment in use was in compliance with New Jersey regulations.

So sad :cry: Was she an actual driver/racer or someone doing the 'racing experience'?
I'm Living my life the way I want to..... Tony Stewart
Never Quit..... Marcus Luttrell Lone Survivor
<<

jdpirate

Post Sun Aug 17, 2014 4:33 pm

jdpirate wrote:
Schmoopy1000 wrote:The driver of a three-quarter midget car was killed in a crash today at Wall Stadium Speedway, state police said.

So sad :cry: Was she an actual driver/racer or someone doing the 'racing experience'?
<<

tlmerk

Post Sun Aug 17, 2014 6:19 pm

Terrible news. She was so young and had her whole life to live. Casts another bad shadow on our sport as well.
Where there's Smoke, there's fire!
<<

wolfgang

Post Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:22 pm

I don't know what to say, so young and so sad- this day in time it still happens!
<<

michaeljohn

Post Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:20 pm

its sad to see a young man pass, but he was doing what he loved, some go through their whole life and never do what makes them happy, i know next to nothing about dirt racing, and the way the tumble is scary.....
I will miss you Frehley........
<<

14Smokem

Post Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:44 pm

I read an article elsewhere that Amanda did it for the experience.
I did not find any other history on her racing interests.
1994 USAC Midget Champion ** 1995 USAC Midget Champion ** 1995 USAC Sprint Car Champion ** 1995 USAC Silver Crown Champion
1997 Indy Car Champion ** 2006 IROC Champion ** 2002 NASCAR Champion ** 2005 NASCAR Champion ** 2011 NASCAR Champion
<<

jdpirate

Post Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:29 pm

michaeljohn wrote:its sad to see a young man pass, but he was doing what he loved, some go through their whole life and never do what makes them happy, i know next to nothing about dirt racing, and the way the tumble is scary.....

MJ.... it was a young woman...
<<

michaeljohn

Post Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:48 pm

my bad i miss-read, my apologies to Amanda Gambacorto
I will miss you Frehley........
<<

jdpirate

Post Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:32 am