FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Ryan is right....Something needs to be done

<<

Annalee

Post Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:24 pm

Ryan is right....Something needs to be done

Newman expresses safety concern about Watkins Glen: A serious crash occurred on lap 56. #31-Ryan Newman hit the Armco barrier - a guard-rail instead of a concrete wall and SAFER barrier - and bounced off it back into traffic. He was pummeled by #95-Michael McDowell, whose car went airborne and flew backward into a barrier on the outside of the racing surface, destroying it and sending debris flying. That caused two lengthy delays - totaling one hour and 21 minutes - to fix the fence. It also raised questions about the safety standards at Watkins Glen. "It's just an antiquated racetrack and the safety is not at all up to NASCAR's standards," Newman said. "It's a shame that we have to have accidents like that to prove it."
Newman's pleas echoed the concerns voiced after the track's 2011 race, which included two violent wrecks. David Ragan, who was involved in a nasty crash with David Reutimann, said he'd seen better walls at dirt tracks and urged the addition of SAFER barriers.(USA Today)(8-11-2014)
AND Drivers weren't in agreement as to what sorts of barriers might be preferable. Watkins Glen has made a number of safety enhancements in recent years, and NASCAR vice president of competition Robin Pemberton indicated the process is under constant review. "It's a constant improvement process," Pemberton said during a televised interview with ESPN during a red-flag
period that lasted more than an hour while track workers repaired the Armco barriers. "And as you know, many of the places we go to, the facilities, are multi-purpose, and we're only here one weekend a year-and it's busy throughout the rest of the year. Watkins Glen has made great advancements. You remember Turn 1 and 2 and all that, moved grandstands and fencing and SAFER barriers, and that's worked quite well for us. But not all places are places for SAFER barriers. There
are different types of systems to help slow cars down."(NASCAR Wire Service)(8-11-2014)

I hope NASCAR was listening yesterday.....Ryan is soooo right that track is old and something needs to be done to prevent the type of violent wrecks we saw yesterday. That was awful!!! And it just wasn't yesterday, Jeff Gordon, Sam Hornish David Ragan and many others....I wish NASCAR would become more proactive than reactive. We certainly don't need anyone to be severely injured ....Maybe with the new owners group can push to make this happen.....Safety needs to be the # 1 concern for the drivers, pit crews and spectators...

"Fight for Four".......................me

I #Support Smoke
<<

Schmoopy1000

Post Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:05 pm

Re: Ryan is right....Something needs to be done

I am sure ryan will get fined for his comments.
Pemberton didnt look none to happy about them.
Loved DJ though for standing up to Nascar basic answers & delved deeper into the subject when Pemberton was trying to get out of it. (asking about all the money tracks get from Nascars TV deals & such) This will probably make Ryans fine even more LOL
I was upset that Ryan lost basically a whole race worth of points in that wreck, but honestly I am just happy when his car was thrown back into the track he didnt get T-boned in the drivers door. There was much more danger than just what savagery the cars damage took.
ImageImageImage
<<

Midniteflyer

Post Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:23 pm

NASCAR needs to dump some of their own money into the tracks that need some safety upgrades. They always say the safety of the drivers is important. NASCAR needs to put their money where their mouth's are IMO.
Not how fast you get from Point "A" to Point "B" it is how much fun you have getting there
<<

michaeljohn

Post Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:33 pm

i think it is up to the track to make and pay for the upgrades if they want to hold a nascar event, but there will always be a certain part of the track that isnt protected and this same conversation will eventually happy, Kevin commented that he rather have those railings then a cement wall.
I will miss you Frehley........
<<

Schmoopy1000

Post Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:44 pm

michaeljohn wrote:i think it is up to the track to make and pay for the upgrades if they want to hold a nascar event, but there will always be a certain part of the track that isnt protected and this same conversation will eventually happy, Kevin commented that he rather have those railings then a cement wall.

he said he would rather have the railings & not cement walls in turn one.
ImageImageImage
<<

michaeljohn

Post Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:46 pm

same thing dude
<<

Schmoopy1000

Post Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:08 pm

michaeljohn wrote:same thing dude

not really. Where Ryan, Gordon, Hornish & others wrecked is completely different. Those tire barriers launch cars back into traffic. I get what he was saying about turn one. A hung throttle going even into safer barriers would be bad right there. As kevin or maybe it was another driver (they asked a lot of them) said. Think different areas would dictate different types of walls. Regardless think it has been proven that, this area needs something different done about it
ImageImageImage
<<

michaeljohn

Post Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:20 pm

your knit picking my words, i never made reference to the area where ryan was talking about.
<<

wolfgang

Post Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:41 pm

Why don't they just all race with bumper cars? :mrgreen:
One, two, three and one more Hendrick driver to go!
<<

Schmoopy1000

Post Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:44 pm

wolfgang wrote:Why don't they just all race with bumper cars? :mrgreen:

they don't want JPM as Champion :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
ImageImageImage
<<

Annalee

Post Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:08 am

Schmoopy1000 wrote:

Thanks Schmoopy....you made me smile!! NASCAR would not fine Ryan...he just stated the very obvious.....he sure took a hit in the points....sorry.

"Fight for Four".......................me

I #Support Smoke
<<

wolfgang

Post Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:31 pm

Schmoopy1000 wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: You're too much!
One, two, three and one more Hendrick driver to go!
<<

kim92164

Post Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:47 pm

Schmoopy1000 wrote:

That's our Schmoopy. lol

Return to NASCAR & Racing