FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Dale Jr losing National Guard sponsorship

<<

Outlaw7841

Post Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:15 pm

Dale Jr losing National Guard sponsorship

National Guard to end motorsports sponsorships: After undergoing an intensive internal review, the Army National Guard is set to make changes to its sports sponsorship approach to recruitment marketing. These substantial changes include an end to its sponsorship of NASCAR driver #88-Dale Earnhardt Jr. and Graham Rahal in the Indy Racing League (IRL). "Significantly constrained resources and the likelihood of further reductions in the future call for more innovative and cost-effective ways of doing business," said Maj Gen Judd H. Lyons, acting Director of the Army National Guard. The Army Guard spent $32 million on its NASCAR sponsorship and $12 million on its IndyCar sponsorship for 2014. Future programs will rely on much smaller budgets. And while sports sponsorships have played an important role in helping the Guard build strong brand awareness, existing Army National Guard sponsorship contracts with NASCAR and IRL are set to expire at the end of the current season, he said. "Our NASCAR sponsorship was principally a marketing program, intended primarily to build awareness of the National Guard as a career option" said Johnson. "The NASCAR sponsorship allowed the National Guard to leverage a 77 million fan base and the sport's most popular driver." Motorsports sponsorships are not the only programs to be impacted by decreasing budgets. Since 2012, the Army Guard has reduced sports sponsorships from six-including professional fishing and motorcycle racing-to just the NASCAR and IndyCar sponsorships. In fiscal year 2015, the Army Guard's marketing budget is expected to be about half of what it was just three years ago in fiscal year 2012.(Army National Guard)
Hendrick Statement: "Our team has a contract in place to continue the National Guard program at its current level in 2015. We have not been approached by the Guard about potential changes and plan to honor our current agreement."(Hendrick Motorsports)(8-6-2014)
<<

beaverpond

Post Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:32 pm

Re: Dale Jr losing National Guard sponsorship

On Wednesday the Army National Guard made announced that they will be ending its sponsorship in motorsports, affecting both Dale Earnhardt Jr. in the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series and Graham Rahal in the Indy Car Series.

The Army National Guard announced on Wednesday a redesign of its sports marketing program which includes an end to the motorsports sponsorship of both Dale Earnhardt Jr. in the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series and Graham Rahal in the Indy Car Series. In the statement it was mentioned that the NASCAR and IRL contracts are set to expire at the end of the current season.

“Our NASCAR sponsorship was principally a marketing program, intended primarily to build awareness of the National Guard as a career option” Lt. Col. Christian Johnson, who heads Army Guard marketing, said in the statement. “The NASCAR sponsorship allowed the National Guard to leverage a 77 million fan base and the sport’s most popular driver.”
<<

Rochelle

Post Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:35 pm

So what happens to the contract that runs through 2015?
"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe" - Friedrich Nietzsche
<<

beaverpond

Post Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:09 am

wonder if that is what it means by "redesign of it its sports marketing program"
<<

Anyone But Earnhardt

Post Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:00 pm

WHO CARES. He will get a sponsor no problem. I'm not a fan at all of him or his daddy. But I do realize that yes he is the popular driver. Don't worry about sponsorship.
<<

beaverpond

Post Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:10 pm

There are other drivers just like him...sponsors may come and go, but they always manage to find somebody who wants to be on there whether it be for a few races or several races.
<<

michaeljohn

Post Thu Aug 07, 2014 2:10 pm

many people care here Abe, Nationwide insurance is one of those sponsors that is taking over.
I miss you Frehley........
<<

jdpirate

Post Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:41 pm

In many ways, I'm not surprised that they are ending the sponsorship....there has been much negativity about it for a couple years. Plus other branches of service have almost eliminated any sponsorship deals (even minor/associate programs).

Now, I'm not worried about them finding any sponsorship to replace it as it always seems that Hendrick
doesn't have the trouble finding sponsors like other do.
I'm Living my life the way I want to..... Tony Stewart
Never Quit..... Marcus Luttrell Lone Survivor
<<

bowtie_4

Post Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:04 am

Yeah, Jr. is a sponsor magnet, lol. Don't see a problem there.
We've lost military flyover, it was just a matter of time.
I don't understand the Guards reasoning, meaning they are saying they are basically not getting a return fir their investment. It seems investing in Nascar and getting exposure would be way more lighter on the pocket book than paying for T.V. rights. jmoo
<<

Schmoopy1000

Post Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:12 am

Anyone But Earnhardt wrote:WHO CARES. He will get a sponsor no problem. I'm not a fan at all of him or his daddy. But I do realize that yes he is the popular driver. Don't worry about sponsorship.

What you might not be seeing far enough into the future is this ABE.
When Dale Jr loses a sponsor there is no doubt he wont get more sponsors. However where is that sponsor coming from? Chances are a sponsor that would be sponsoring someone else will now go to Jr. So plenty of teams might want to hurry if their deal is coming up soon.
I realize Kurt doesn't have to worry therefore Kurt fans don't need to worry, but you might think differently if Kurt had a sponsor that could leave & go to the 88 next year. So you may not have to care, but why tell the rest of us not to care? There is a ripple effect when any sponsor leaves the sport. Just because Kurt & his sponsor (Daddy Warbucks) play in their own pond & don't have to worry about ripple effects, doesn't mean all the others teams & fans are in that same scenario.

So I care when any sponsor leaves the sport.
ImageImageImage
<<

Anyone But Earnhardt

Post Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:50 am

Schmoopy1000 wrote:
Anyone But Earnhardt wrote:WHO CARES. He will get a sponsor no problem. I'm not a fan at all of him or his daddy. But I do realize that yes he is the popular driver. Don't worry about sponsorship.

When Dale Jr loses a sponsor there is no doubt he wont get more sponsors. However where is that sponsor coming from? Chances are a sponsor that would be sponsoring someone else will now go to Jr. So plenty of teams might want to hurry if their deal is coming up soon.
I realize Kurt doesn't have to worry therefore Kurt fans don't need to worry, but you might think differently if Kurt had a sponsor that could leave & go to the 88 next year. So you may not have to care, but why tell the rest of us not to care? There is a ripple effect when any sponsor leaves the sport. Just because Kurt & his sponsor (Daddy Warbucks) play in their own pond & don't have to worry about ripple effects, doesn't mean all the others teams & fans are in that same scenario.

Schmoop/Mj,

I think I should have worded my thoughts differently. The WHO CARES should have been a NOT TO WORRY. It's Dale Jr. He will have a sponsor. So, I apologize for the who cares.
<<

Schmoopy1000

Post Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:51 am

Anyone But Earnhardt wrote:
Schmoopy1000 wrote:

Schmoop/Mj,

I think I should have worded my thoughts differently. The WHO CARES should have been a NOT TO WORRY. It's Dale Jr. He will have a sponsor. So, I apologize for the who cares.

my point is just that actually. When Dale Jr. loses a sponsor other teams do now have to worry. Unless he is bringing in a sponsor not already in cup (which would be cool) he will end up with someone elses sponsor. So a lot of teams should care. (& or their fans) that was my point.
ImageImageImage
<<

michaeljohn

Post Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:51 pm

RFR has gotten sponsorships from other teams, its the nature of the sport, he low balls other teams so these sponsors jump ship, im glad NW is going with Jr, because they will get more exposure, what the heck they been using him in the commercial for years
<<

Schmoopy1000

Post Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:14 pm

michaeljohn wrote:RFR has gotten sponsorships from other teams, its the nature of the sport, he low balls other teams so these sponsors jump ship, im glad NW is going with Jr, because they will get more exposure, what the heck they been using him in the commercial for years

So Roush lost a sponsor to Jr?

I am no fan of Roush. Everything about that guy seems shady.
ImageImageImage
<<

michaeljohn

Post Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:54 pm

JR had fastenal as a sponsor, they jumped ship to RFR,
Next

Return to NASCAR & Racing