FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

The Safer Barrier

<<

beaverpond

Post Sun May 01, 2011 12:05 am

The Safer Barrier

They have made it mandatory for a fence to go up so high in front of the fans. The have made it mandatory for a safer barrier on certain stretches on all tracks.

Why is NASCAR not making it mandatory for it to be all the way around the track on the inside and outside. I saw what happened tonight to Jeff Gordon in Richmond. The track escapes me at the moment as to which one that was lined with trees and no wall at all where there should be an outside wall and last year a car almost went right up and over that section. I think it was this same track that another driver almost hit another section of the inside wall that was protruding and it was not a safer barrier, it was like a section of guard rail. I almost think the driver was Elliot Sadler or maybe it was Bill Elliot.
<<

azk8ster

Post Sun May 01, 2011 3:21 am

Re: The Safer Barrier

Last year's incidents that you wrote of were both at Pocono - it was Kasey who almost went over the trees, and it was Elliott who had that head-on into the wall hit. A few years back, Jeff also had a horrendous wreck there...he just seems to be the magnet for finding the non-SAFER parts of the walls, that's for darn sure!

I'm not sure i think that each and every inch of the walls should be reinforced, i'm guessing that NASCAR and the track owners are figuring on percentages of likeliness where incidents will happen when they determine where the barriers go, and to me, that's reasonable, but only because the cars are so much safer than they used to be.
"Faith is believing in things when common sense tells you not to"

Return to NASCAR & Racing