bowtie_4

Post Sat May 03, 2014 2:21 pm

Qualifying @'dega

That was interesting!
<<

racer1

Post Sat May 03, 2014 2:56 pm

Re: Qualifying @'dega

Nice to see someone started this thread although to me all this qualifying changes etc isn't necessary as the race is whats important. HOWEVER--it was interesting to see the different strategys etc that played out esp with the SHR cars sticking together-- until the last segment anyway? Too bad Tony couldn't hold the pole when he had it in the last session but good Q results for all SHR anyway--hopefully the race ends up as good or better with a SHR driver 1st at the checkered? 8-)

Dale Jr apparently doesnt like this format of qualifying by his comments after & I doubt 6-time JJ likes it much either as his CC telling him why he messed up etc was surpising? Also--Scott on the Pole--good grief--that wont do much for Nascar. Oh well--no wrecks, some scratches but overall have to admit--interesting. 8-)
<<

michaeljohn

Post Sat May 03, 2014 3:02 pm

i think your reading more into it that what was there, Chad wasnt tellin him "why he messed up." there was confusion between JJ, Chad and Earl all Jr said was that he messed up, Jr is a very talented plate racer he will be at the front before ya know
<<

Searchers

Post Sat May 03, 2014 3:26 pm

Only one person has won from the pole in the last sixteen years at Talladega. Being on the pole is another completely different trip and more luck or now timing than winning a race. Somebody like Gordon, Earnhardt or Newman is a lot more concerned with tomorrow than qualifying. But rookies like Scott and Patrick see their poles as so far their biggest accomplishments. Different stories on different tracks.
Yeah any driver wants the pole but some put more value into it at Talladega than others.
<<

Rachael J

Post Sat May 03, 2014 8:14 pm

I thought qualifying was pretty silly myself! What a mess! Just my thoughts!
<<

Annalee

Post Sat May 03, 2014 9:00 pm

The good news...other than pit selection...it really doesn't matter. At any given time they can go front to back .....and back to front, in one lap.......but would have loved to seen Tony on the pole.....so close.... :(
Image"Fight for Four".......................me
<<

michaeljohn

Post Sat May 03, 2014 9:14 pm

i thought i was a fan of the new style of qualifying, but each week i begin to like it less, the only plus about today was that qualifying didnt take 4 hrs to complete
<<

Jellikit

Post Sat May 03, 2014 10:34 pm

I may be "home-boying" it here, but how about Newman?

He basically gives up a shot at the pole, which, as we all know doesn't really mean much at 'Dega, in order to benefit the team of RCR and it's affiliated drivers. By taking the point-man position as the lead car in their pack, he defers the possibility of the pole to one of the others in their group.

That small act of generosity...and taking one for the team...just shows how much class Ryan has. Very cool of B. Scott to point that out after qualifying. 8-) 8-) 8-)
<<

bowtie_4

Post Sun May 04, 2014 12:18 am

What surprised me was how the final 12 sat on pit road waiting, waiting, waiting....lol.
And then after the yellow came, how confused were some of the drivers? A lot of the teams thought the clock stopped when the yellow appeared?
SNAFU..NASCAR

Return to NASCAR & Racing