Good Morning from Darlington.....Pit Stalls

WHO WILL TAME THIS LADY.!?!?

"Fight for Four".......................me

I #Support Smoke
<<

racer1

Post Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:41 pm

Re: Good Morning from Darlington.....Pit Stalls

Thanks for the pit stalls. Once again Iam wondering who on the team picks the stalls & why? Example Annett in the #7 chose the 6th stall & the 17th chose the 4th stall close to exiting, when Tony or Kurt could have chose those as they out qualified them? :roll:

Therefore when they qualify well enough to pick a better stall, what do they consider a good stall?

1--First in maybe or first exiting as with Pole setter usually?
2--a stall where no other driver is in front of them for a fast exit may be a preferred choice?
3--a stall whereby the driver(s) in front or behind them may go a lap down early?
4--a stall closer to their parts trailer?
Course when they pick a stall early they may not always know who will be in front or behind them at the time??

Oh well, a little bored waiting for the race tonight or late afternoon here on the west coast to start. 8-)
<<

Schmoopy1000

Post Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:48 pm

racer1 wrote:Thanks for the pit stalls. Once again Iam wondering who on the team picks the stalls & why? Example Annett in the #7 chose the 6th stall & the 17th chose the 4th stall close to exiting, when Tony or Kurt could have chose those as they out qualified them? :roll:

Therefore when they qualify well enough to pick a better stall, what do they consider a good stall?

1--First in maybe or first exiting as with Pole setter usually?
2--a stall where no other driver is in front of them for a fast exit may be a preferred choice?
3--a stall whereby the driver(s) in front or behind them may go a lap down early?
4--a stall closer to their parts trailer?
Course when they pick a stall early they may not always know who will be in front or behind them at the time??

Oh well, a little bored waiting for the race tonight or late afternoon here on the west coast to start. 8-)
they pick in order on how the qualify, which is why you always see the pole sitter picking the 1st pitstall. then the 2nd Qualifying team gets to pick their stall & so on. Which typically goes with where there is a gaps in pit lane so teams can either get in or exit their stall without being affected by other cars pitting. Then the other thing the CC has to figure in. Is the pitroad speeding lines. This is where they try & grab a pit stall where they can use the loop hole to speed for a short period, either entering their pit stall or leaving their pit stall. Then there is the whole if you know you are gonna be racing with a particular car, they typically don't like to be pitting directly behind that car. For instance a few years ago the 48 saw where the 11 car had picked to pit & picked the stall in front of them, which didn't make the 11 team happy. (or vice versa don't remember) so yeah a ton of things go into why they pick where they are gonna pit.
I know on some tracks Chad Knaus if the 48 doesn't get the pole but gets to pick early will pick the very last pit stall if it is open. Hope some of that helps.
ImageImageImage
<<

ndunn

Post Sat Apr 12, 2014 2:38 pm

I believe in most cases it's the crew chief with a voice from the driver that picks the pit stop. I got my info from someone who posted it here on SHR. If that is wrong info I'll never believe anything posted. #1 hasn't always belonged to the pole sitter. Does anyone remember when Jeff Gordon was awarded that prize as part of the perks he got for a championship? I don't remember if he had that for all his championships but NASCAR changed that. My guess would be not everyone who drives was happy with not being able to get #1 when they won the pole. Matt Kenseth liked the very last pit stop when he raced for Roush but that hasn't continued with Gibbs racing. Maybe his crew chief didn't like last place.
The Military Thanks You For Standing Behind Them. If You Can't Do that You Can Always Stand In Front Of Them.....Think About It.....

Thank you to those who took a step forward to save the rest who stand still.
<<

Schmoopy1000

Post Sat Apr 12, 2014 3:41 pm

ndunn wrote:I believe in most cases it's the crew chief with a voice from the driver that picks the pit stop. I got my info from someone who posted it here on SHR. If that is wrong info I'll never believe anything posted. #1 hasn't always belonged to the pole sitter. Does anyone remember when Jeff Gordon was awarded that prize as part of the perks he got for a championship? I don't remember if he had that for all his championships but NASCAR changed that. My guess would be not everyone who drives was happy with not being able to get #1 when they won the pole. Matt Kenseth liked the very last pit stop when he raced for Roush but that hasn't continued with Gibbs racing. Maybe his crew chief didn't like last place.

The CC is the one that picks the spot for the team. Yes way back when The Champion was rewarded with the 1st pit stall. But many complained about how it gave the champion to much of an advantage during the season. (which is true actually) Finally Nascar changed that rule.
ImageImageImage

Return to NASCAR & Racing