FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Montoya expected to drive third Penske car in some races

<<

michaeljohn

Post Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:46 pm

Montoya expected to drive third Penske car in some races

Team Penske is expected to announce on Wednesday that Juan Pablo Montoya will return to Sprint Cup competition in the Brickyard 400 on July 27. However, Montoya's NASCAR homecoming could come sooner than that. Don't be surprised if Montoya runs a third Penske Racing car (likely the #12 Ford) at Sonoma Raceway on June 22. Montoya's first career Cup win was earned at the track in 2007. He could also compete at Watkins Glen on August 10, the site of his second Cup win in 2010. Both dates are open on the IndyCar calendar. Sources say Montoya tested a Team Penske NASCAR Ford last week at Nashville Speedway. Veteran Greg Erwin, who was retained after serving as Sam Hornish's crew chief last year, would likely fill that role with the third Cup car.(Motorsport)(4-29-2014)
I miss you Frehley........
<<

tlmerk

Post Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:45 pm

Re: Montoya expected to drive third Penske car in some races

Well, if he's going to drive at Sonoma that's kind of convenient as road courses are his specialty and he's pretty competitive with the real drivers IMO.

I go back and forth about JPM. Some days I think, how did he get into NASCAR and other times, I think he's got a lot of talent. I never have liked his whininess but then Smoke has always been known to be a big whiner. I think both of them have outgrown it to some extent but... I don't know. Does JPM deserve a ride outside of Sonoma??

And I think actually Penske and JPM might be an interesting fit?
Where there's Smoke, there's fire!
<<

racer1

Post Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:47 pm

Re: Montoya expected to drive third Penske car in some races

Montoya's yrs in Nascar was not really with what many considered a top team but with Penske giving him some PT races in Cup now we'll see as they have proven to be a TOP team & one to beat IN Cup & NNS. Montoya has won in alot of different series & considered to be a top driver by many because of that & is favored by some to win the Indy500 this yr, probably because of the top team Penske he is with--guess we'll see? 8-)

BTW--have to say I bet Hornish Jr is feeling a little let down by Penske giving Montoya a PT ride in Cup & not him as I thought they said if they could find a way they would, but looks like Penske is done with him--Nice run though? :)

Return to NASCAR & Racing