FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Brazilian Stock Car Driver In Serious Condition

<<

HiddenHollow

Post Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:21 pm

Brazilian Stock Car Driver In Serious Condition

SAO PAULO (AP)—A Brazilian stock car racer is hospitalized in serious condition with a head injury sustained in a crash over the weekend.

Doctors said Monday that 67-year-old Paulo Kunze remains in an intensive care unit as he recovers from Sunday’s crash at the Interlagos track in Sao Paulo.

The Alvorada hospital released a statement saying Kunze remains under observation after undergoing surgery.

Kunze reportedly lost control at a high-speed corner during a stock car race and his car rolled several times.

The accident comes two weeks after 29-year-old Brazilian driver Gustavo Sondermann died in a crash at a different corner at Interlagos, which later this year will host the Formula One season finale.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nascar/news?slu ... spitalized
"I'll wreck my mom to win a championship. I'll wreck your mom to win a championship." - Tony Stewart, November 17, 2011

"Fight For Four" - Annalee, March 27, 2012

#StandWithSmoke #14in14
<<

NascarNanaOK

Post Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:54 pm

Re: Brazilian Stock Car Driver In Serious Condition

Do they use a Hans-type device down there? I know Tony resisted using the Hans, but I'm very glad they forced him. I'm a strong believer.
14 to win in '14

He has Risen!

Nascar Nana OK
<<

HiddenHollow

Post Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:12 pm

God question. I have no idea what the rules are for drivers in other countries, but it would be interesting to find out. Safety has to (should) be a top priority in all countries, I would think.
"I'll wreck my mom to win a championship. I'll wreck your mom to win a championship." - Tony Stewart, November 17, 2011

#StandWithSmoke #14in14
<<

Schmoopy1000

Post Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:08 pm

HiddenHollow wrote:God question. I have no idea what the rules are for drivers in other countries, but it would be interesting to find out. Safety has to (should) be a top priority in all countries, I would think.

I dont think the safety rules are as strong down below the border. I dont remember what it was, but something was a topic of concern between Nascar & the event coordinator about safety when they raced in Mexico. Also they had which I think was a nascar sanctioned, but not a US series, where they had a wreck late in a race, where a car got turned & slammed the beginning of a wall (which was a dumbass design) completely demolishing the car & killing the driver. This is where I found out the roll cages are made much more inferior to what Nascar mandates here in the states. So Safety is lacking down south. Why I dont know, but it is.
ImageImageImage
<<

HiddenHollow

Post Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:52 pm

Brazilian stock car driver dies in hospital

SAO PAULO (AP) — Hospital officials say a Brazilian stock car driver has died from head injuries he sustained in a crash at Interlagos track in Sao Paulo.

The Alvorada Hospital says in a statement that 67-year-old Paulo Kunze died Wednesday morning as a result of injuries from Sunday's crash.

Kunze reportedly lost control in a high-speed corner during a race and his car rolled several times.

The accident occurred two weeks after 29-year-old Brazilian driver Gustavo Sondermann died in a crash at a different corner at Interlagos, which later this year will host the Formula One season finale.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/motor/20 ... 1682_x.htm

Another death at Interlagos

ESPNF1 Staff

Paulo Kunze has become the second driver to die at Interlagos in less than three weeks.

During a stock car race on Sunday, the 67-year-old Stock Paulista driver crashed at the Curva do Sol - the long left handed turn three - and suffered severe head injuries after his car somersaulted numerous times. Despite being taken to hospital he fell in to a coma and died on Wednesday.

The death follows that of Gustavo Sondermann in a stock car race at the circuit two weeks prior to Kunze's accident. Sondermann's crash occurred at the Curva do Cafe corner, resulting in his car bouncing off the wall back on to the racing line. The fatality led to calls for a run-off area to be installed ahead of this year's Brazilian Grand Prix after Rafael Sperafico was killed in a near-identical accident in 2007.

Following consultation with the FIA, circuit organisers have since said that they will be removing a section of seating in order to make the necessary safety changes.

http://en.espnf1.com/f1/motorsport/story/46733.html

#StandWithSmoke #14in14

Return to NASCAR & Racing