FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Phoenix TV Ratings a bust

<<

racer1

Post Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:25 pm

Phoenix TV Ratings a bust

From Jayski: http://www.jayski.com/news/pages/story/ ... tings-2014

Excerp:
"Phoenix TV Ratings down: After a record-low at Daytona, overnight ratings did not bounce back for the second race of the season. Sunday's NASCAR Sprint Cup "The Profit on CNBC 500" from Phoenix earned a 4.8 overnight rating on FOX, down 9% from a 5.3 last year, and down 4% from a 5.0 in 2011. The 4.8 is the lowest overnight for the second Sprint Cup race of the season since FOX began airing coverage in 2001. The 4.8 is also the lowest overnight for the spring Phoenix race since it moved to its current date in 2010. Though the Daytona 500 hit a record-low in television ratings, it has been suggested that Dale Earnhardt Jr.'s victory would provide NASCAR some much-needed momentum going into the rest of the season"

Therefore--enough said with ALL the JR HYPE 24/7 all week--didn't work Nascar loses. BTW Love to say it "Told you so". Neither him nor any driver in Nascar is capable of helping ratings nor attendance--sav one. Not being nasty-- just honest and factual.

Nascars PR was gong crazy since Daytona with its JR PR campaign & articles everywhere hyping this Phoenix race would show the results--NOT. Bottom line--you can hype all you want but as the die hard fanbase will watch, the mainstream GP isn't buying it, and some of the die hards are fading as well apparently?

Sadly-- even Harvicks win --was overshadowed by Nascars PR & articles about the over hyped JR finishing 2nd--WHO CARES--not many outside of the Nascar die hards as stated apparently, and this shows it--no NFL--NO rain delay--NO Olympics etc--NO excuses--? :lol: :lol: :lol:
<<

KB41fan

Post Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:46 pm

Re: Phoenix TV Ratings a bust

I believe some of the root causes might just be Fox Sports 1 & 2.. I work away from home & most hotels don't include FS1 & none provide FS2... I used to get up on all my pre-race drama watching Speed Channel on a regular basis... Now I can't get FS1 or 2 while I'm away from home & I have to pay extra to have FS2? What a rip off!! :evil: ... At least Speed concentrated on racing.. can't say the same for Fox Sports... :cry:
<<

racer1

Post Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:05 pm

While F1 & F2 may be a little issue now that the speed network is gone, ESPN & other cable networks were full of this PR and all over the reg TV networks had Nascar PR as it was suggested that Nascar ratings were down due to lack of PR for its races etc so Nascar is hyping up its PR this yr--good luck with that? JR because of his 500 win was on numerous network & cable TV shows ALL week for Nascars PR campaign hoping to draw attention to Nascar which apparently didn't work.

BTW--for JR fans-this isn't meant as a slam on JR--just Nascar using him due to its lame lovefest with the Earnhardt legacy such as it is? Nascar thinking JR alone can save their series when they have many bigger problems with drawing more fans in? :roll:

I believe the issue is mainly the racing is bad as stated by others here. Fans don't care about anything but a good exciting race and Nascar hasn't had that in a long time with few exceptions and the viewers are showing they wont tolerate it, not to mention almost more commercials then racing doesn't help? Get used to it Nascar as its likely only going down from here? :roll:

BTW--the NNS race on ABC on sat for Phoenix only drew a 1.5 rating per info on Twitter I saw as those ratings are tough to find. Last yr on ESPN2 they got a 1.4 ratings so not much different.
<<

Anyone But Earnhardt

Post Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:46 am

Boy I never do this, but I agree with racer1and his facts. I will continue to watch the races. I have a sprint phone and get free Nascar Mobil so I can listen to the drivers so may be that is why I watch. However, racer1 is right, OMG, Remember when Bristol was one of the best races. I used to have to but tickets 5 years in advance in the 90's and early 2000's now you can show up and buy a ticker at the gate.

And yes racer1 I am so tired of watching 5 laps of racing, then 5 min of commercials. I can tell you when a caution comes out before the #### broadcast cuts back from selling KFC or whatever through my NASCAR Mobil package. Actually happened 3 or 4 times during the phoenix race.

Here is something to think about as well. Right now in Ohio, and in other places it is cold and snow is still on the ground. What happens when the weather breaks and spring and summer arrive. I think people will be outside doing other activities than parking there butts in front of a TV for 5 hours. Heck, even Kurt doing the double, which I supported, doesn't sound so great. I am sure I will be at a picnic or something.

RATING ARE GOING DOWN........ Pretty soon NASCAR will be back on Wide World of Sports from 4 -5 like it sometimes used to air in the 80's.

Save our Sport!!!!

A.B.E.
<<

michaeljohn

Post Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:16 am

personally, i have no problem with it presented on tv. it is what it is... i pay money to see the vikings, twins, wild play, so if i have to sit through commercials to see a race so be it, just think if they didnt get their money from commercials they would it by charging more for fo1 and 2.
<<

smokieonefour

Post Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:21 pm

Just what in the WIDE WIDE WORLD OF SPORTS are you boys all agreeing to in here?

hee hee hee

WWWOS ... old school ... when you had to wait & see IF they'd broadcast a race ... and check your TV Guide ;-)
Smoke 'em if ya got 'em!

Sh*t happens... but don't worry, it usually happens to me.
<<

Searchers

Post Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:30 pm

smokieonefour wrote:Just what in the WIDE WIDE WORLD OF SPORTS are you boys all agreeing to in here?

hee hee hee

WWWOS ... old school ... when you had to wait & see IF they'd broadcast a race ... and check your TV Guide ;-)

Lived through that era and hope it never goes back to that. :roll:
<<

jdpirate

Post Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:05 pm

Searchers wrote:
smokieonefour wrote:Just what in the WIDE WIDE WORLD OF SPORTS are you boys all agreeing to in here?

hee hee hee

Me too...plus races weren't live only bits and pieces of them a week later if you were lucky :(
I'm living my life the way I want to.... Tony Stewart
[]Never Quit...... Marcus Luttrell
<<

Searchers

Post Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:11 pm

jdpirate wrote:
Searchers wrote:

hee hee hee

Me too...plus races weren't live only bits and pieces of them a week later if you were lucky :(

It's not that much of a stretch to consider.

Did you ever think ESPN would run their NASCAR Now show only in the wee hours of the morning? They do not have enough respect for NASCAR to run the show in a decent time slot.

Brian France is not doing a very good job.
<<

Annalee

Post Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:00 pm

Searchers wrote:
Did you ever think ESPN would run their NASCAR Now show only in the wee hours of the morning? They do not have enough respect for NASCAR to run the show in a decent time slot.

Brian France is not doing a very good job.

Searchers......you are sooooooo right! Brian France has a sister, Leza Kennedy....they interviewed her in Daytona before the truck race with her son Ben who raced that day....I think most of the brains and talent in the family went to her...she sounded so much like her father and grandfather....I think NASCAR is headed down the wrong track ...I am not sure what she would do to change it but some one needs plug the leak in this sinking ship! These ratings speak volumes...

I also wish Fox would put some new personalities on their lineup of announcers and do some
serious broadcasting and reporting......
Image"Fight for Four".......................me

Return to NASCAR & Racing