FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

New Chase format making drivers take more risks?

<<

michaeljohn

Post Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:40 pm

New Chase format making drivers take more risks?

Just two races into the Sprint Cup season, NASCAR's emphasis on winning has made an impact. #22-Joey Logano was more aggressive on a late-race restart, and Daytona 500 winner #88-Dale Earnhardt Jr. was more comfortable with a fuel gamble during Sunday's race at Phoenix International Raceway. "It's all about the win, right?" Logano said after his daring restart backfired. Yes it is. It always has been that way but now there's more incentive for drivers and teams to take risks. "Third place really doesn't mean anything,'' Logano said. "Last year, you may have taken a third place and the points, but this year it's like, "hey, go for it.' "
Harvick's dominance didn't keep others from trying different strategies. Dale Earnhardt Jr. was going to be short on fuel after his last pit stop before all the cautions but crew chief Steve Letarte told his driver not to worry about saving fuel. "We're here to try to win," Letarte told Earnhardt on the radio. "The gamble was not as nerve-racking and not as a big a gamble for us considering the circumstances," said Earnhardt, who finished second. "The new system definitely allowed us to be more carefree about that and not have to really think it over."
Now Harvick and crew chief Rodney Childers will have the opportunity to gamble over in the next 24 races since they have a victory. "It allows (Childers) to stretch fuel windows and do things and do a few things," Harvick said. "For the guys in the shop, it allows them to really broaden their horizons. You can really get aggressive on really everything."(Motors Racing Network)(3-3-2014)
I miss you Frehley........
<<

Keener29

Post Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:35 pm

Re: New Chase format making drivers take more risks?

I think it is making the drivers go a little harder to get a win. But if you look at it, I don't think it's making them more aggressive per se. Logano could have easily spun Harvick out on a couple of those restarts, but he didn't. He did settle in and take the 3rd place points. I think it's a risk versus reward scenario. If I do this I may get that, but what will it really cost me. If that makes sense.
<<

michaeljohn

Post Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:45 pm

i agree, sure it will be great to have that win, but if you can be consistent and run up front, you can still get in the chase, i personally dont see 16 different driver winning.
I miss you Frehley........
<<

Schmoopy1000

Post Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:41 pm

I disagree with the OP.
I don't think they try any harder than they ever did to win a race. They will do whatever they can within reason to win a race. I think it was like that before this ridiculous new rule set. All it changes is what they say in front of a camera.
I think it will ruin racing. When the teams that have already won don't have to worry about points, they may do some experimenting & get some DNFs for their effort. Bad finishes mean nothing now to Jr or Harvick.
There are only 20 something fully or nearly fully funded teams. No chance of falling out of the top 30, so points are meaning less to the winners.

I wish Brian France would get caught up in some personal scandal & be forced to give up his strangle hold on Nascar before he drives it completely underground!

BTW any driver that wasn't trying his best to win races their team were capable of winning, before this season should be fired on the spot.

I don't agree with Kyle Busch very often, but I felt he had a right to be offended by Nascar thinking otherwise. Glad they didn't fine him when he spoke against it. Even though they corrected his point of view later.
ImageImageImage

Return to NASCAR & Racing