FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Daytona Ratings Down 62%

<<

Anyone But Earnhardt

Post Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:53 pm

Daytona Ratings Down 62%

Did everyone hear:

last weeks Daytona 500 ratings were 62% lower than last years race and also lower, I don't remember the exact#, but I believe it was around 50%, lower than the 2012 Montoya jet dryer Monday night race. Are we in danger of losing our sport and sponsors?

Anyone But Earnhardt
<<

Jellikit

Post Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:05 pm

Re: Daytona Ratings Down 62%

I think that after last year's 500, it's not a surprise.
That snooze-fest probably turned off more than just the casual fan to plate racing.
I know my Dad said that exact thing. He's not a die-hard fan, but he lives about 40 minutes from Daytona and like most sports fan, has at least had an interest in THAT race. (He does like Tony. ;) He was always an AJ Foyt fan and lived in Indy...he loves that Tony took the 14 because of his love for AJ too.)
Growing up, there wasn't a lot of races on ABC's Wide World of Sports, but I never missed that race as a kid. While this year's had too many wrecks for my liking, at least the racing was improved over the last several plate races.
I'm wondering too how they calculated these stats with such a separation in the race from the rain delay. At what times do they take the rating? Because the finishing time was so late, it may affect it in some way.
<<

michaeljohn

Post Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:43 pm

its real funny how people wanna piece it together as it bein Jrs fault the ratings are down, people have a life to live and cant be a slave to the tv for close to 10 hrs
I miss you Frehley........
<<

beaverpond

Post Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:52 pm

MJ, you hit it right on the head...who is going to sit there for 10 hours waiting for a rain delay to end so they can watch a race. While I did watch the race. I spent the afternoon and early evening doing other things and figure if there was anything to watch, I would hear about it on the radio and would go home to watch it eventually. I did miss the first 70 some odd laps of the race. No big deal in the grand scheme of things.
<<

michaeljohn

Post Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:56 pm

same here beav, no way i was gonna sit there and watch a replay of a race, did stuff around the house then turned the race on about 9, like tony says, just make the race 50 laps long, thats all ya need to see.
I miss you Frehley........
<<

racer1

Post Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:11 pm

I guess many here didn't read my links when I posted actual facts to these lousy ratings. Making excuses for the rain delay is a lame excuse as the 500 race in 2012 was rain delayed till Monday night primetime and still got over 13 million viewers against good primetime shows--wake up. Also in 2010 the 500 ratings were much higher also going against the Olympics so face facts. ALL the HYPE surrounding this race didn't help this race as you cant force the GP to watch as those who wanted to watch clearly DID watch, and that FEW IS the low number you're seeing-- end of story.

Question is--how long will the Nascar PR keep the lame Earnhardt this & that every 5 minutes 24/7 HYPE going-- for all the good its NOT doing?? Wake up Nascar to what isn't working and find something else that might, as one driver or name cant carry this series, or haven't you noticed? Good grief? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Return to NASCAR & Racing