FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Former QB Says Jimmie Johnson Not An Athlete

<<

Rachael J

Post Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:54 am

Former QB Says Jimmie Johnson Not An Athlete

Former NFL quarterback Donovan McNabb said that Jimmie Johnson is not an athlete Friday night on “Fox Sports Live.’’ The comment came after McNabb and others were asked to rank some of sport’s most dominant athletes. Johnson, who could clinch his sixth NASCAR Sprint Cup title Sunday, was among the candidates.

“Do I think he’s an athlete?’’ said McNabb, a six-time Pro Bowl quarterback who lost in his only Super Bowl appearance. “Absolutely not.’’

Questioned about that comment by host Charissa Thompson, McNabb responded: “He’s not (an athlete). He sits in a car and drives. That’s not athletic.’’

Former tennis star Andy Roddick defended Johnson, saying: “I think it’s disrespectful to say he’s not an athlete.’’

Johnson has competed multiple triathlons. He runs, swims and bikes as part of his conditioning to race.

“I think that it, obviously makes his endurance a lot better throughout the course of these races,’‘ crew chief Chad Knaus recently said about Johnson’s workout program. “I think it makes him more alert and better come the end of the events when other drivers are maybe more tired. I think it also has provided a significant outlet for him to where he can go, train, get away from the racing environment and enjoy it.

McNabb’s comment drew quick response on Twitter from NASCAR fans and competitors.

Kyle Larson tweeted: “Donovan McNabb must be mad he never won a championship and Jimmie just keeps winning them over and over again.’’

Ricky Stenhouse Jr. wrote on Twitter: “Wow @donovanjmcnabb really? Got to b an idiot. I'd like to see him keep up with @JimmieJohnson in a workout. And drive our cars for 500 miles.’’

DeLana Harvick, wife of Kevin Harvick, also responded, stating on Twitter: “Hearing people "discuss" our sport who have no freakin clue what they're talking about is awesome...''

:x You tell'em DeLana! How rude! :x ALL NASCAR DRIVERS are some of the hardest working Athletes in the world!
<<

michaeljohn

Post Sat Nov 16, 2013 2:05 am

Re: Former QB Says Jimmie Johnson Not An Athlete

sure JJ isnt an athlete, he gets up at 5am and works out for 2 hrs, then goes to the shop to workout with his pit crew, then the day before a race he rides his bike75-100 miles, he also participates in triathlons and marathons,

Mcnabb is a jerk, only thing he ever done is his career is choke!
<<

Rachael J

Post Sat Nov 16, 2013 2:13 am

I agree what a jerk! That really ticks me off! As I saw someone say earlier, Let him get in the car at Talladega or any other track with a full field and go around the track at 200 mph hour for 4 hours and then see what he thinks!!! :roll: Just another reason not to watch Fox Sports 1! grrrrrrrrr...........
<<

midwesternsmoke

Post Sat Nov 16, 2013 3:46 am

McNabb is a putz. Couldn't win a championship and just can't stand it. I'm not a JJ fan but respect what he does on the track and in the gym. Back in the day I was a gym rat and I TOTALLY understand the discipline and dedication it takes to put your body through 3-4 hours of #### and bike a lot of miles. F@ck ol' "no trophy mcnabb"
Unless you've experienced the Unconditional Love and Loyalty of a good dog, you have yet to live.
"GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS,ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS"[/[color=#FF4000]
color]
<<

Schmoopy1000

Post Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:08 am

I like Delana's Comment.
I am not a JJ fan by any means but loved the fact when Golden Tate (a current athlete not a retired athlete) said JJ & Nascar drivers weren't athletes. JJ flat out challenged him to do what he does, & give JJ two weeks I think he said & he would do what Tate does. Tate didn't except the challenge. :twisted:

The naïve don't realize how much these drivers put there bodies through in a 3-4 hr race. How much weight loss they go through in a race.
Put McNabb in a go cart & have McNabb run it as fast as he can (no matter how slow he goes as long as he is trying to go fast) for 15 mins. Then let him get out & ask him if he is ready to do it again? I guarantee you he will want a break before going again. Ask Mcnabb if he knows what a race car drivers heart rates are for 4 hrs of racing. Without conditioning yourself for auto racing (of any type) not a single one of these other kinds of athletes would make it a 100 miles.
I have seen ex-track champions show up at an open show bring their old car out to race it in. in a 20 min race an ex race car driver no longer conditioned for what they do but had the skills. Got out of his car & talked about how cramped his forearms were & how wiped out he was. Now take a big mouth like McNabb or Tate, who has no idea how to control their breathing, or deal with their adrenaline from pushing a race to the edge. I seriously don't think not even one percent of these kinda guys would make it to an end of a race, & doctors would have to be waiting for the teams to drag them out of their cars so they can put IVs into them. In fact for some like McNabb it actually might be dangerous to his health to even try to do what race car drivers like JJ does. & I am not talking about dangerous from wrecks & such. I am talking about the heat & draining it would take on his body to try & drive a race car hard. Then it just makes it even more funny that they attack one of the most fit drivers in the garage.

McNabb is an ignorant douche bag.

on a side note. Kudos to the tennis guy for standing up for JJ
ImageImageImage
<<

Annalee

Post Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:05 am

JMO.....I think he was looking for a chance to get a ride around with JJ or a TV moment with him driving in one of the cars .....the man can't be that stupid... :roll: :roll:

if I remember about five years ago Junior put Shaquille Oneal in a car especially designed and built for him, raced him for 25 laps.....and Shaq couldn't do 15 laps....he said it was the hardest things he's ever done..... :lol: :lol:........Find the car and put this guy in it......NOW.... PUT YOUR MONEY WHERE YOUR MOUTH IS...... :lol:
Image"Fight for Four".......................me
<<

HiddenHollow

Post Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:02 pm

Shaq raced Dale Jr in 2010 in an episode of his "Shaq vs." TV show.

Shaq was all smiles after the race and seemed to be really enjoying himself. He gave a ringing endorsement to all NASCAR drivers when he said "I've heard some people say that these guys really aren't athletes. Anybody who tries to tell me they aren't athletes can kiss my a$$."

Pucker up Donovan! :lol: :lol:

:arrow: http://www.autoracing1.com/article.asp?id=2178 (the video in the article has been removed, so it's not your computer).
"I'll wreck my mom to win a championship. I'll wreck your mom to win a championship." - Tony Stewart, November 17, 2011

"Fight For Four" - Annalee, March 27, 2012

#StandWithSmoke #14in14
<<

onerockindoc

Post Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:35 pm

Ignorant douche bag....tell us how you really feel Schmoop
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement
<<

Schmoopy1000

Post Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:40 pm

onerockindoc wrote:Ignorant douche bag....tell us how you really feel Schmoop

just got done posting elsewhere where I am trying not to get myself riled up again LOL.

here is a link with nascar tweetershpere as it says. JJ took the high road. but there were plenty that took up for him, so he didn't need to get into it. Gordon asked if McNabb wanted to take a ride LOL.

whoever the blonde chick is. I give mad props too. She wouldn't let it go until the people in her ear told her too!
ImageImageImage
<<

onerockindoc

Post Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:44 pm

<<

Schmoopy1000

Post Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:46 pm

ImageImageImage
<<

onerockindoc

Post Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:49 pm

I think Donovan McNabb has stepped in it....
<<

michaeljohn

Post Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:38 pm

DB must think driving a race car is the same as driving a family car..
<<

wolfgang

Post Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:47 pm

The age old question, are race car drivers athletes? Jimmy Johnson may very well be an athlete, but I never and still don't believe you have to be an athlete to drive a race car and drive it well. The one thing I do agree, is you have to be physicly fit to some degree. What QB was saying was he didn't consider race car drivers athletes compared to one on one or individual sports. QB did say drivers just drive the race car which is just ignorance on his part.
<<

michaeljohn

Post Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:50 pm

drivers get hurt just like anyone playing a sport and people like denny and tony have to rehab to get to a certain level to drive
Next

Return to NASCAR & Racing