FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

MWR to field three Cup cars in 2014

<<

beaverpond

Post Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:03 pm

MWR to field three Cup cars in 2014

Michael Waltrip Racing will field a third car in 2014.

Despite NAPA’s decision not to return to MWR in 2014, and driver Martin Truex Jr. and crew chief Chad Johnston opting to move on, team owner Rob Kauffman told FOXSports.com that three teams will operate out of the shop next year.

“We’ll have two full-time cars and a third car that will run part-time,” Kauffman said. “It’s really kind of as simple as that. It’s not going to run for the championship – so it will have the flexibility to try stuff – but the same as everybody else has to pass tech each week and make sure everything’s correct.

“But it is a third car. It will help us keep the core of the team a little bit more substantial by keeping the engineering staff full, the pit crews are still able to keep in practice and keep going through the motions, so if in ’15 we can scale back up to a third car, the infrastructure would still be in place. “It’s kind of a little bit of a diet, then maybe you can get back to a playing weight by ’15.”

In 2007, MWR expanded its Sprint Cup program to run two full-time teams and a part-time effort. The following year, the organization added more races to the third car. When Mark Martin became available in 2012, the company began building the third team again and continued with that effort this season. However, MWR experienced a setback at Richmond International Raceway in September when the organization was accused of manipulating the final race before the Chase for the Sprint Cup.

Regardless, MWR has solid support from 5-hour Energy for the No. 15 Toyota and Clint Bowyer. Bowyer is currently seventh in the point standings (before Sunday's race). Aaron’s will continue its support on the No. 55 and driver Brian Vickers when he returns to action in 2014. Vickers was diagnosed with a blood clot last month and has been sidelined since.

When asked who the driver would be for the third car, Kauffman said coyly, “There is one.”
Pressed whether that driver was Jeff Burton, he replied, “There is a list.”
Image Image

The Nascar Sprint Cup Champion For 2014 Is...
<<

midwesternsmoke

Post Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:54 pm

Re: MWR to field three Cup cars in 2014

beaverpond wrote:Michael Waltrip Racing will field a third car in 2014.

Despite NAPA’s decision not to return to MWR in 2014, and driver Martin Truex Jr. and crew chief Chad Johnston opting to move on, team owner Rob Kauffman told FOXSports.com that three teams will operate out of the shop next year.

“We’ll have two full-time cars and a third car that will run part-time,” Kauffman said. “It’s really kind of as simple as that. It’s not going to run for the championship – so it will have the flexibility to try stuff – but the same as everybody else has to pass tech each week and make sure everything’s correct.

“But it is a third car. It will help us keep the core of the team a little bit more substantial by keeping the engineering staff full, the pit crews are still able to keep in practice and keep going through the motions, so if in ’15 we can scale back up to a third car, the infrastructure would still be in place. “It’s kind of a little bit of a diet, then maybe you can get back to a playing weight by ’15.”

In 2007, MWR expanded its Sprint Cup program to run two full-time teams and a part-time effort. The following year, the organization added more races to the third car. When Mark Martin became available in 2012, the company began building the third team again and continued with that effort this season. However, MWR experienced a setback at Richmond International Raceway in September when the organization was accused of manipulating the final race before the Chase for the Sprint Cup.

Regardless, MWR has solid support from 5-hour Energy for the No. 15 Toyota and Clint Bowyer. Bowyer is currently seventh in the point standings (before Sunday's race). Aaron’s will continue its support on the No. 55 and driver Brian Vickers when he returns to action in 2014. Vickers was diagnosed with a blood clot last month and has been sidelined since.

When asked who the driver would be for the third car, Kauffman said coyly, “There is one.”
Pressed whether that driver was Jeff Burton, he replied, “There is a list.”

Lemme guess.......They've talked Martin out of retirement AGAIN???? :shock: :roll:
Unless you've experienced the Unconditional Love and Loyalty of a good dog, you have yet to live.
"GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS,ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS"[/[color=#FF4000]
color]
<<

ndunn

Post Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:17 pm

Michael is lucky to find a partner with big bucks.
The Military Thanks You For Standing Behind Them. If You Can't Do that You Can Always Stand In Front Of Them.....Think About It.....

Thank you to those who took a step forward to save the rest who stand still.
<<

Annalee

Post Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:05 pm

One can only hope MM goes back to MWR.....If he needs a ride I will be happy to pick him up and personally deliver him to the front door of MWR...... :mrgreen:

"Fight for Four".......................me

I #Support Smoke
<<

wolfgang

Post Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:54 pm

Annalee wrote:One can only hope MM goes back to MWR.....If he needs a ride I will be happy to pick him up and personally deliver him to the front door of MWR...... :mrgreen:

Thinking the same! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
<<

beaverpond

Post Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:57 pm

I read somewhere that MM was going to be a test driver for SHR next year. I will see if I can find that.
Image Image

<<

Rochelle

Post Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:02 pm

I read that too Beaver... He said he had no plans to run NASCAR races next year... :roll:
"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe" - Friedrich Nietzsche
<<

beaverpond

Post Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:04 pm

After racing parts of 31 NASCAR seasons, Mark Martin might take his final checkered flag next week at Homestead-Miami Speedway.

Martin told reporters Friday at Phoenix International Raceway that while he's unwilling to use the word "retire," the 54-year-old has no racing planned for next year and has declined offers on every level of NASCAR racing.

After 40 wins in NASCAR's premier Sprint Cup Series, 49 more in the Nationwide Series and five championships in the now-defunct International Race of Champions, Martin said it was "time to open a new chapter."

He plans to stay active in the sport by helping Stewart-Haas Racing with testing next season, including driving Tony Stewart's No. 14 car in preseason Daytona activities while the team owner continues to heal from a broken right leg.

"We've known this for awhile, we just kept it to ourselves and to our friends and stuff," Martin said of his decision. "If I get through Homestead without a scratch, it will be pretty cool. It will be one tremendous career that we did some really great things and I got out of it without paying a big price."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/na ... p/3479375/
Image Image

Return to NASCAR & Racing