FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Rumor: NAPA leaving MWR

<<

KMOAutobahn

Post Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:02 am

Rumor: NAPA leaving MWR

im seeing a lot of unsubstantiated reports that NAPA is leaving MWR and talking with SHR.....can anyone corroborate this

Original source:

"RacingDaily ‏@Racing_Daily 5h
We are learning NAPA Auto Parts is in talks with Stewart - Haas Racing. MWR has been informed that NAPA will not be returning. #NASCAR"
<<

jdpirate

Post Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:18 am

Re: Rumor: NAPA leaving MWR

Not heard much about it...I'm sure we will know something one way or another soon...
I'm Living my life the way I want to..... Tony Stewart
Never Quit..... Marcus Luttrell Lone Survivor
<<

TishR

Post Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:33 am

ESPN and Jenna Fryer (AP) both reporting that NAPA is leaving MWR at the end of the 2013 but will remain involved in motorsports.
Tish
<<

onerockindoc

Post Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:40 am

Tish is correct....they are indeed leaving MWR. Bet those NAPA phones are ringing off the wall courting their sponsorship which is rumored to be up to 18 million dollars.

Wonder if 5 hour energy will follow suit.
You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Bob Marley
<<

Annalee

Post Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:47 am

Money talks........

"Fight for Four".......................me

I #Support Smoke
<<

awsum14

Post Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:09 pm

From Jayski.com

•NAPA Auto Parts leaving Michael Waltrip Racing at end of year UPDATES: NAPA posted the following message on their Facebook page Thursday morning:
"After thorough consideration, NAPA has made the difficult decision to end its sponsorship arrangement with Michael Waltrip Racing effective December 31, 2013. NAPA believes in fair play and does not condone actions such as those that led to the penalties assessed by NASCAR. We remain supportive of the millions of NASCAR fans and will evaluate our future position in motorsports."(9-19-2013)
UPDATE: Gaylord Spencer, NAPA's Vice President, Marketing Strategy, sent the following company bulletin Thursday morning:
"NAPA announced today that, after due consideration, it has decided to end its sponsorship arrangement with Michael Waltrip Racing (MWR) effective December 31, 2013. As many of you are aware, NASCAR determined that MWR attempted to manipulate race results at Richmond, Virginia, on September 7, 2013. NASCAR assessed a large fine, deducted 50 points from each of the three MWR drivers in the race and suspended or banned other members of the MWR team.
NAPA believes in fair play and we are very disappointed in the actions that led to the NASCAR penalties. We have made NAPAs decision known to MWR and posted a statement on our Facebook page. There will be significant media coverage and discussion among racing fans and we expect that our decision to terminate our sponsorship will generate additional attention. The decision was difficult, but we believe is the right thing to do.
We appreciate in advance your support of our marketing efforts. We will continue to evaluate our future position as it relates to motorsports."
MWR Statement: Michael Waltrip Racing respects the decision NAPA announced today following the events at Richmond. There is no doubt, the story of Michael Waltrip Racing begins with NAPA Auto Parts, but there are many more chapters yet to be written. MWR has the infrastructure and support of Toyota for three teams plus three Chase-caliber, race-winning drivers. With the support of our corporate partners we are preparing to field three teams in 2014. MWR is a resilient organization capable of winning races and competing for the championship and that remains our sole focus.(MWR)
Michael Waltrip Statement: NAPA has been with me from winning two Daytona 500s, to missing races with a new start-up team, and back to victory lane again. The relationship grew far past that of just a sponsor, but more of a partner and a friend. We will not be racing a NAPA car in 2014, but I have friendships that will last a lifetime. To the fans and those who made their voice heard through social media, as the owner, I am responsible for all actions of MWR. I sincerely apologize for the role our team played and for the lines NASCAR has ruled were crossed by our actions at Richmond. NASCAR met with the competitors in Chicago and we all know how we are expected to race forward.(MWR)(9-19-2013)
If at first you don't succeed, don't give up
Try Harder
<<

Smoke_14

Post Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:16 pm

I'm hearing Jimmy Johns will follow Kevin.
Leave the Ears On the Dog
<<

ndunn

Post Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:34 pm

The story I read was a little different than Jayski but his is much more involved. The possibility the teams will be cut to 2 was apparently just the idea if the sponsor couldn't be found. The difference would be information and writers. The PR that did Waltrip's message did a decent job of the apology.
The Military Thanks You For Standing Behind Them. If You Can't Do that You Can Always Stand In Front Of Them.....Think About It.....

Thank you to those who took a step forward to save the rest who stand still.
<<

beaverpond

Post Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:39 pm

This is the story I saw.

NAPA, the primary sponsor of Martin Truex Jr. and long-time sponsor of Michael Waltrip Racing, will leave MWR at the end of the season.

Thursday morning NAPA made a statement on Facebook announcing that they will end their sponsorship arrangement with Michael Waltrip Racing at the end of the year.

NAPA stated that the reason for leaving Michael Waltrip Racing is due to the actions the team took during the Federated Auto Parts 400 at Richmond International Raceway, the same actions that led NASCAR to penalize MWR.

“NAPA believes in fair play and does not condone actions such as those that led to the penalties assessed by NASCAR,” NAPA wrote on Facebook. “We remain supportive of the millions of NASCAR fans and will evaluate our future position in motorsports.”

No additional information has been given, including if NAPA will stay as a sponsor in NASCAR.
<<

KMOAutobahn

Post Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:51 pm

In retrospect this was somewhat surprising, given how long NAPA has been associated with waltrip (i wouldve expected 5 hour energy to go first).

not to mention this only directly impacts the one driver may have been completely innocent in all of this (oh the irony)
<<

beaverpond

Post Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:09 pm

This is not the first run-in between NAPA and MWR and they have obviously had enough and this was definitely was a big oops on the part of MWR. The problem is that after NAPA made the threat last week to pull its sponsorship, so did Aarons and so did 5 Hour Energy. Thing is now, we wait and see if the shoe drops from the other sponsors and they follow suit.
<<

Annalee

Post Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:37 pm

"Funny how Napa can slap the hands of a race team better than NASCAR can!" you are so right Schmoopy............if Six Hour Energy leaves too, this could be the end of MWR as we know it :roll:
......to be continued!!!!
Last edited by Annalee on Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"Fight for Four".......................me

I #Support Smoke
<<

classic_chevy

Post Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:15 pm

Sounds like a good sponsor for the 3 car next year.
<<

Banjo14

Post Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:43 am

NAPA colors would look good on the #31, too... :D

Truex must be feelin' low -- in the last 2 weeks, he has gone from the Chase to Unsponsored/Free Agent thanks to other folks' bad behavior. AND :cry: Poor Mikey :cry: -- how can MWR survive a $30 million (and maybe more) hit?
GO LIKE STINK, SHR!
<<

BlackFlag

Post Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:55 am

Maybe Waltrip can get Frito-Lay as a sponsor for next year.

Then they can put "Cheat-O's" on the side of the car. ;)
My least favorite band in the history of music is called: Dale Earnhardt Jr. Jr.
Next

Return to NASCAR & Racing