FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

It's Official....Montoya to Penske's Indy car team

<<

midwesternsmoke

Post Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:33 am

It's Official....Montoya to Penske's Indy car team

Montoya moving to IndyCar with Penske: Team Penske announced that Juan Pablo Montoya will join the team in 2014. Montoya will drive the #2 Team Penske IndyCar for the full season as he will join Will Power and three-time Indianapolis 500 winner Helio Castroneves in the team's IZOD IndyCar Series lineup beginning next season. Montoya, 37, is a native of Colombia and he is one of the most accomplished drivers in the world. His career highlights include race wins in Formula One, NASCAR and the CART Indy Car Series. He is the only driver to produce victories in the Indianapolis 500, the 24 Hours of Daytona and the Monaco Grand Prix. Montoya earned 11 IndyCar wins over two seasons as he captured the CART Series title in his rookie season of 1999 followed by a victory in the Indy 500 in 2000.
"I am really excited to join this legendary team beginning next year," said Montoya. "I have had the opportunity to drive for some of the best racing teams in the world and I have always admired Roger Penske and his organization. I consider it an honor to be offered the opportunity to drive for Team Penske."
"Juan is a proven winner at all levels of motorsport," said Roger Penske. "He has won a lot of races and championships and he has an extremely passionate fan base. We look forward to building on his successes together and we believe he will be a great addition to Team Penske." (Penske Racing)(9-16-2013)
Unless you've experienced the Unconditional Love and Loyalty of a good dog, you have yet to live.
"GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS,ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS"[/[color=#FF4000]
color]
<<

michaeljohn

Post Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:03 pm

Re: It's Official....Montoya to Penske's Indy car team

glad he ended up with a good team
I miss you Frehley........
<<

midwesternsmoke

Post Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:05 pm

Yeah....me too. He was a good Indy car driver, just never quite fit the hype in NA$CAR 8-)
Unless you've experienced the Unconditional Love and Loyalty of a good dog, you have yet to live.
color]
<<

Schmoopy1000

Post Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:27 pm

is he replacing a driver, or are they adding a car to the stable? Anyone know?
ImageImageImage
<<

midwesternsmoke

Post Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:30 pm

I don't know....this will be a 3rd car. Not sure how many drivers Penske has already. 8-)
color]
<<

kellerjk34

Post Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:01 pm

Best of luck to JPM and Penske.
<<

wolfgang

Post Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:49 pm

Wreckers or checkers for Juan in open Wheel,the one thing that wasn't mentioned here.I'm sure Roger can change that and if not,well it's not going to be so enjoyable for him.
Roger got a grip on Paul Tracey,i guess anything is possable! Paul was one of my favs and i remember how he use to be,same way,wreckers or checkers.Juan is older now,the Cup scene wasn't working out for him,least he's back to where i believe he can make it.
WHEN THE GREEN FLAG DROPS, THE B.S. STOPS !
<<

KMOAutobahn

Post Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:53 pm

midwesternsmoke wrote:I don't know....this will be a 3rd car. Not sure how many drivers Penske has already. 8-)

penske's got helio castroneves and will power in his indycar stable. Some fans are also pre-emptively calling this a 'dream team'. JPM won the Indy 500 in his only try and the CART championship in his rookie year. He's won 7 F1 races, and is the last vestige and reminder of WilliamsF1's better days. Only guy to win monaco, indy and rolex. He's pretty much nearly achieved everything on the bucket list when it comes to open wheel cars.

Kinda disappointing he never really amounted to much in cup. There was so much hype around him coming in, and he actually ran decent in the early portion of his run with ganassi. Then that ganassi program went to sh*t and the only thing we'll remember about him is a run-in with a jet dryer.

Most people who only are familiar with JPM through NASCAR wont appreciate what a true wheelman and talent this guy is. However, my prevailing belief is that in order to succeed in nascar, you need to have talent in diagnosing the car and a talented pit boss to adjust a car throughout to accomodate constantly shifting weather and track conditions. Not saying JPM doesnt have talent in that regard, but F1 and Indycars are so dependent on engineers / technology and relies less on driver feedback that 90% of the races are won before the cars ever see the track.

That being said, while I am sad to see such a talent never come to fruition in NASCAR, I am happy he landed with a top ride and wish him well.

PS: sorry for the long-a** rant.
<<

dirt93

Post Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:45 pm

Juan was an awesome driver on open wheel. His only problem was he thought it would be the same. Stock cars and open wheel cars are about as different as driving a bus and a lamborgini. He just couldn't adapt to driving the bus.... lol

I wish him luck.
Here kitty kitty.. come get you some of this!!
<<

JohnsonSusan

Post Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:15 am

The Indy car team makes a good combination as all the team members are good car drivers and they all together is a strong team.

Return to NASCAR & Racing