Races, tracks, drivers and all the drama that comes along with it
Post a reply

my rant on the media.............

Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:40 pm

today was another example on why i dont like to watch speed, inside nascar, or listen to fox while the race is on. they beat everything into the ground, it is ridiculous. it is like someone comes up with something remotely funny, and by sunday you just want them to shut up, because they have repeated it 100 times. The thing that got me this week, is how they call kevin harvick "the closer."
in no way am i trying to discredit what harvick did in cali, it was a classic move and deserved to win, but at this time last yr they called JJ the same thing for his wins at cali, vegas and bristol. no im not bein a spoil sport cuz they are calling harvick that and not JJ, but it shows the lack of creativity on the people at fox, and speed.
I miss benny parsons and his whit. i miss ned jarret and his laid back way of explaining things, i miss bob jenkings who was informative. I for one can not wait til the summer when TNT takes over, then espn.

Re: my rant on the media.............

Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:59 am

I agree MJ, it was an awesome move and an exciting finish (especially since I had picked JJ for 2nd place), but that was last week, last race and this is a new week with a new race to talk about. I like Dale Jarrett and Ricky Craven's commentaries also...

Re: my rant on the media.............

Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:47 am

michaeljohn wrote:today was another example on why i dont like to watch speed, inside nascar, or listen to fox while the race is on. they beat everything into the ground, it is ridiculous. it is like someone comes up with something remotely funny, and by sunday you just want them to shut up, because they have repeated it 100 times. The thing that got me this week, is how they call kevin harvick "the closer."
in no way am i trying to discredit what harvick did in cali, it was a classic move and deserved to win, but at this time last yr they called JJ the same thing for his wins at cali, vegas and bristol. no im not bein a spoil sport cuz they are calling harvick that and not JJ, but it shows the lack of creativity on the people at fox, and speed.
I miss benny parsons and his whit. i miss ned jarret and his laid back way of explaining things, i miss bob jenkings who was informative. I for one can not wait til the summer when TNT takes over, then espn.



Thank you Michael.[size=150] I've been in this attitude since fox first signed on. I've always thought Fox paid by the word and still do. Apparently they never read the comments because they never "shut up". I have to mute the TV and have the radio on to get what I can't see. That is another thing. I do watch so they can forget the play by play which after 100 times gets boring. Now to finish my rant I want to say something about the notion that Trevor Bayne is taking over JJ as NASCAR'S nice guy. That is outrageous as most if not all the racers are nice guys. Winning the Daytona does not define a career even tho it was awesome. Michael Waltrip raced for years without a points win and he finally got one at Daytona and if memory serves me correctly he won it again. Does that make him a candidate for best driver? Not in my book it doesn't. Benny, Buddy and Ned never made me angry or make my skin crawl or made me mute them and I miss them more than ever. [size=200] Rant over..... [/size][/size]

Re: my rant on the media.............

Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:24 pm

good points nd, especially about the drivers, they are all good guys, but fox needs to find that lil angle and beat it to death.

Re: my rant on the media.............

Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:44 pm

michaeljohn wrote:good points nd, especially about the drivers, they are all good guys, but fox needs to find that lil angle and beat it to death.

Your correct Michael. I would never complain if it wasn't negative. Most analyst are educated and know their sport but for some reason they don't realize what the public want to hear. Beating a subject to death is crazy and has lost more viewers than they will admit to. I would rather watch paint dry than an listen to Fox sports.

Re: my rant on the media.............

Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:14 pm

OHHH %hit,i found something i can agree with MJ about with our drivers and the media both.lol

Re: my rant on the media.............

Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:14 pm

ndunn wrote:
michaeljohn wrote:today was another example on why i dont like to watch speed, inside nascar, or listen to fox while the race is on. they beat everything into the ground, it is ridiculous. it is like someone comes up with something remotely funny, and by sunday you just want them to shut up, because they have repeated it 100 times. The thing that got me this week, is how they call kevin harvick "the closer."
in no way am i trying to discredit what harvick did in cali, it was a classic move and deserved to win, but at this time last yr they called JJ the same thing for his wins at cali, vegas and bristol. no im not bein a spoil sport cuz they are calling harvick that and not JJ, but it shows the lack of creativity on the people at fox, and speed.
I miss benny parsons and his whit. i miss ned jarret and his laid back way of explaining things, i miss bob jenkings who was informative. I for one can not wait til the summer when TNT takes over, then espn.

AMEN! To both of you!

Thank you Michael.[size=150] I've been in this attitude since fox first signed on. I've always thought Fox paid by the word and still do. Apparently they never read the comments because they never "shut up". I have to mute the TV and have the radio on to get what I can't see. That is another thing. I do watch so they can forget the play by play which after 100 times gets boring. Now to finish my rant I want to say something about the notion that Trevor Bayne is taking over JJ as NASCAR'S nice guy. That is outrageous as most if not all the racers are nice guys. Winning the Daytona does not define a career even tho it was awesome. Michael Waltrip raced for years without a points win and he finally got one at Daytona and if memory serves me correctly he won it again. Does that make him a candidate for best driver? Not in my book it doesn't. Benny, Buddy and Ned never made me angry or make my skin crawl or made me mute them and I miss them more than ever. [size=200] Rant over..... [/size][/size]

Re: my rant on the media.............

Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:24 pm

hey i wanna throw up when they talk to JJ cuz they are so far up his back side its unreal, this is why i RARELY watch speed, they jump from driver to driver every week.

Re: my rant on the media.............

Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:23 am

Thanks wolfgang. I'm glad to know not everyone wants "in your face broadcasting". I realize we'll never see or hear the kind of broadcasting we were used to as there are more than 3 networks and it's a big competition out there but what ever happened to class? If I could have my say I'd stop the personal attacks and just ask for what is really going on during the race. I'd also ask them not to forget the fans do watch the race and we are as informed as they are. But then if wishes were horses I'd never have to walk. o

Re: my rant on the media.............

Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:48 pm

Besides what you all are talking about, I was so dissapointed when they were gonna reveal Harvicks nic name. I thought for sure it would have been "Cup Cake".. not that stupid Basher name...lol

Re: my rant on the media.............

Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:23 pm

Hate to be negative when the good feelings are pouring over this post. Everyone agreeing with each other! :-) In this instance that is COOOOL! But back to the original post---- Harvick "closed" again MJ. He seems to have actually earned that title this season. But I am sure we can find something else to #### about the media for--who I wonder half the time if they even watch the same races I do. They all have their biases. Guess that's life but you'd think journalists would try to be fair and accurate and for Heaven's sake, get the car/drivers/numbers correct.

Re: my rant on the media.............

Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:13 pm

I think Ol' "DW" needs to stop wetting himself EVERYTIME "June Bug" gets the lead

Re: my rant on the media.............

Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:33 pm

tl, your missing my point, im not complaining about harvick, im just tired of how the media throws those terms around loosely, from driver to driver, if thats what they wanna call him fine, but be more creative, you cant have one driver being the closer then all of the sudden harvick is the closer, because if you look at it from a logical point of view, is not every driver that wins a race a closer?????

Re: my rant on the media.............

Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:48 pm

I get it MJ, and I agree with you on this. I just had to make light of the fact that Harvick won again at the last minute.

There is a place for nicknames in our sport definitely. In fact, it would be fun if we threw out some here. But when the media does that based on a race or two, it makes them look kind of ignorant.

Re: my rant on the media.............

Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:54 pm

The fox group does indeed get annoying. Their constant priase of JJ and Kyle Busch (yes they are both great but come on), the stupid jokes, they always seem to miss something big. TNT is way worse though (Look to the fact that didn't cover the Dinger's arugement with the King), ESPN is only a slight improvement. Maybe after 2014 NASCAR goes back to CBS and puts Rick Allen, Phil Parons and Michael Waltip who do an aamzing job in the truck races in the booth. That would be really cool.
Post a reply