FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Penske wanted deal.... with 38 Gilliland to get Logano in

<<

Annalee

Post Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:36 pm

Penske wanted deal.... with 38 Gilliland to get Logano in

Penske deal with Front Row at Richmond to help Logano? UPDATE: Penske Racing may have cut a deal with Front Row Motorsports in the closing laps at Richmond for track position to help get #22-Joey Logano in the Chase for the Sprint Cup championship. In radio communications reviewed Wednesday by The Associated Press for Front Row driver #38-David Gilliland, his spotter informs the team of a request to let Logano pass him in the final laps of Saturday night's race. Logano was trying to claim a spot in the 12-driver Chase field. Both Penske and Front Row are Ford teams and thus considered partners. A voice on the radio, believed to be crew chief Frank Kerr, asks who the request is coming from. The spotter replies: "We've got the big dog and all his cronies." Kerr then says: "Travis knows what I've been asking for," an apparent reference to Penske Racing competition director Travis Geisler. Logano passed Gilliland on a restart and finished 22nd, one spot ahead of Gilliland and good enough for a berth in the Chase field. "Good job, good job, man," the spotter says after the race. "Hopefully we'll get something out of that." Statistics analyzed by AP also show Gilliland's lap times dropped off by almost 1 second from the times he was running prior to the radio communication.(Associated Press)(9-11-2013)
UPDATE: "NASCAR is aware of reports about the #22 and #38 radio communications at Richmond
International Raceway and is looking into it, but has yet to see anything in full context that requires any action."(NASCAR)(9-11-2013)

This is not passing the smell factor again..........I hope this opens the door for Jeff!

"Fight for Four".......................me

I #Support Smoke
<<

onerockindoc

Post Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:02 pm

Re: Penske wanted deal.... with 38 Gilliland to get Logano

Well this is just getting nastier and nastier.

We can probably all agree that this sort of thing is done and has been done in the past. I'm troubled most by the promise of....what?? Who knows but there sure was a promise made.

Black eyes all around. Very troublesome.
I strive to live by the Golden Rule, do you?
<<

KMOAutobahn

Post Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:05 pm

Whoa, well now......I thought logano was just a 'blind' beneficiary of the MWR's shenanigans, turns out his team mightve cut a deal. This is crazy, i expect a NASCAR penalty to come through if the radio proves to be as d-a-m-n-i-n-g as the brian vickers radio. If not, NASCAR continues to be a farce.
Last edited by KMOAutobahn on Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

HiddenHollow

Post Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:21 pm

Wednesday afternoon, the sanctioning body [NASCAR] issued a statement on the issue:

"NASCAR is aware of reports about the No. 22 and No. 38 radio communications at Richmond International Raceway and is looking into it, but has yet to see anything in full context that requires any action."

Try to sell that to Jeff Gordon & Rick Hendrick.
"I'll wreck my mom to win a championship. I'll wreck your mom to win a championship." - Tony Stewart, November 17, 2011

"Fight For Four" - Annalee, March 27, 2012

#StandWithSmoke #14in14
<<

KMOAutobahn

Post Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:32 pm

Yeah if what i heard that quicken loans and the other sponsors got involved to get the MWR punished is true, I cant imagine any bigger dawg than Hendrick Motorsports and their armada of sponsors pushing for Jeff Gordon to get in now that they have this opening.....
<<

michaeljohn

Post Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:33 pm

one thing i learned what has gone down or could go down for joe, the drivers are not at fault here, they were doing what the higher ups wanted done, so to this day i have no beef with brian, clint or even joe, i think joe has a great chance to finish high in the standings this year, if not win the cup.
I miss you Frehley........
<<

onerockindoc

Post Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:35 pm

MJ, you are correct but.....lets say Joey or Clint wins the championship...will there be an asterisk in some people's minds over all if this?
<<

onerockindoc

Post Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:37 pm

Or...let's say Truex or Gordon bust off a bunch of wins in the chase....in their fans minds will they be champions? I think so.
<<

michaeljohn

Post Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:40 pm

id say no, because they didnt put themselves in the chase, they had 25 races to be in the top ten,
<<

KMOAutobahn

Post Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:50 pm

In all honesty, logano probably should NOT have made it in if everything were gravy. At the time of the last caution, logano was still a lap down in 25th spot. At the time, Jeff Gordon was good to clear by 1 point and closing in on Martin Truex for 7th. Ryan Newman and Kasey kahne wouldve been WC 1 and WC 2 with 2 wins and logano wouldve been left out with truex.

In fact, it was only because MWR parked both their cars and now presumably was forked over a spot by david gilliland that logano picked up 3 spots to knock Gordon out of the chase.

Knowing the prevalence of 'team orders' in nascar, it's not surprising this was the case for logano making it into the top 10. However, given that NASCAR specifically instructed 'no funny business' in the driver's meeting, they now no choice but to penalize logano in the same fashion they penalized truex (who probably had no idea, but benefited massively from race 'fixing' by his team) or else they end up looking like hypocrites.

I honestly dont HOW theyre going to penalize logano (whether they take him out of the chase, or just give him a points deduction after the points reset).... but clearly, they need to take action because that snippet of radio is just as questionable as vickers' radio with ty norris
<<

onerockindoc

Post Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:57 pm

MJ MJ....wake up wake up....you're dreaming.

This is why they(we) are called fan(atic)s
<<

newmanfan3914

Post Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:48 pm

michaeljohn wrote:id say no, because they didn't put themselves in the chase, they had 25 races to be in the top ten,

The problem with this is their are 26 races to get in the chase and 1 of them has been manipulated.
<<

michaeljohn

Post Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:52 pm

sorry i see things different, look at kyle, matty, jj, those 3 teams busted their buts to be in the chase, they didnt wait til the last couple weeks to start running well enough to be in the chase
<<

michaeljohn

Post Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:54 pm

sorry doc, im not a fanatic, this is a source of entertainment, my week will not improve or be ruined by how the driver i follow does on the track.
<<

onerockindoc

Post Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:02 pm

Not necessarily talking about you personally, just lumping folks together.
Next

Return to NASCAR & Racing