FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

NASCAR INVESTIGATING BOWYER SPIN AT RICHMOND

<<

Annalee

Post Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:50 pm

NASCAR INVESTIGATING BOWYER SPIN AT RICHMOND

IF THEY DON'T DO SOMETHING ABOUT THIS.......I REALLY BELIEVE THEY WILL LOOSE WHAT LITTLE AUDIENCE THEY STILL HAVE...THERE THAT MANY PEOPLE UPSET ABOUT THIS!! :twisted: :twisted:

NASCAR president Mike Helton speaks during an interview before the NASCAR Truck Series auto race, Sunday, Sept. 8, 2013, at Iowa Speedway in Newton, Iowa.
CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP) — With one suspicious snap of the steering wheel, Clint Bowyer changed the outcome of a race and maybe the championship, too.
Accidental or intentional, his spin in the closing laps at Richmond International Raceway set in motion a chain of events that has shrouded the start of the Chase for the Sprint Cup championship and raised many questions about the potential for a race team to manipulate pivotal moments of a race.
Now NASCAR is reviewing evidence to determine if Michael Waltrip Racing deliberately altered Saturday night's race, potentially costing both Ryan Newman and Jeff Gordon spots in the Chase, to benefit MWR driver Martin Truex Jr.
NASCAR President Mike Helton told The Associated Press before Sunday's Truck Series race at Iowa that officials in the scoring tower did not immediately see anything to believe Bowyer's spin with seven laps remaining at Richmond was suspicious. The spin came while Newman was leading and brought out the caution that set in motion a chain of events that cost Newman both the race and a berth in the 12-driver Chase field. He was battling Truex for the final spot.
"We didn't see anything that indicated that anything like that was taking place. And it's natural when everything was as close as it was between who was going to get in and not go in to scratch your heads and try to figure out and wonder why," Helton said. "But we didn't see anything initially (Saturday) night that indicated that, but certainly we'll go back through all the video and everything to be sure, because we take the responsibility very serious to be sure that it's — that everybody has had a fair chance."

But an ESPN replay that included communication between Bowyer and his team implied the spin was deliberate. Bowyer was shown the video after the race and denied he spun intentionally, a
claim he repeated throughout the post-race activities.
"We had a flat tire or something. It just snapped around," Bowyer said, later adding, "I know it's a lot of fun for you guys to write a lot of wacky things. Go ahead if you want to, get creative. But don't look too much into it."
In-car audio framed the situation as his crew goading him into spinning his car to bring out the yellow in an effort to prevent Newman from winning the race.
"Thirty-nine is going to win the race," Bowyer was told over his radio.
"Is your arm starting to hurt?" crew chief Brian Pattie asked. After a pause, Pattie said, "I bet it's hot in there. Itch it."
Bowyer's car then spun.
NASCAR did not have access to that footage until well after the race, and it is presumably among the materials Helton was reviewing Sunday.
Also, it became apparent early Sunday morning that Bowyer and teammate Brian Vickers further aided Truex by taking a dive over the final three laps.
When the race resumed with three laps to go, four-time series champion Jeff Gordon was poised to claim the 10th spot in the Chase, and Joey Logano was ahead of Truex in position to claim the second wild-card.
But Bowyer and Vickers both made pit stops in the final three laps that allowed Logano to improve his finishing position and move ahead of Gordon to claim the 10th Chase berth. That bumped Gordon from contention and freed the wild card for Truex. Gordon was not eligible for the wild card.
The AP reviewed team communications for both Bowyer and Vickers on Sunday, and Vickers was told by MWR general manager Ty Norris to pit because "we need that 1 point."

"We're probably going to pit here on green," Norris says.

"Are you talking to me?" a surprised Vickers asks.
Vickers continued to question the call, at one point asking, "I don't understand, pit right now?

"You've got to pit this time. We need that 1 point," Norris replies.

"10-4. Do I got a tire going down?" Vickers asked.

Vickers then pitted as the field went green. When he asked after if his crew found anything with the tire, Norris replied, "I'll see you after the race, Brian, I owe you a kiss."

Bowyer's radio communication was not as verbose, but he had already pitted twice after his spin, once to change the tire and once for Pattie to double-check for any damage. The team then called him down pit road a third time with no explanation just as the field went green.

It's not uncommon in NASCAR for teammates to help each other with track position, so on its fac t the calls for the two MWR drivers to pit aren't that egregious. But added with Bowyer's spin, fans
were crying foul over MWR's actions, especially since it cost both Gordon and Newman spots in the 10-race Chase that begins Sunday at Chicago.

Waltrip, calling the Truck race Sunday at Iowa for Fox Sports 1, declined to comment to AP.
Gordon posted on Twitter that he felt bad for both himself and Newman.
"Was feeling pretty bad about missing the #Chase but after seeing all the details coming out now I feel even worse for @RyanNewman39," he tweeted on Sunday.
Newman downplayed the significance of Bowyer's spin on Saturday night because he said he still had a chance to win the race if his pit crew had delivered after the caution.

"They are teammates. I don't know if (Bowyer) looked at the scoring pylon, knew I was leading, it doesn't matter," Newman said. "If that was the case, I'll find out one way or the other. At the same time, we still had the opportunity to make our own destiny and win it on pit road, and we didn't."___
AP Sports Writer Luke Meredith in Newton, Iowa contributed to this report.

Follow JENNA FRYER on Twitter @JennaFryer

COMMENTS

"Fight for Four".......................me

I #Support Smoke
<<

HiddenHollow

Post Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:04 pm

Re: NASCAR INVESTIGATING BOWYER SPIN AT RICHMOND

Yeah, I read all that, but what do I expect from NASCAR?

Nada. :|

There is simply no PROOF of anything.
"I'll wreck my mom to win a championship. I'll wreck your mom to win a championship." - Tony Stewart, November 17, 2011

"Fight For Four" - Annalee, March 27, 2012

#StandWithSmoke #14in14
<<

Schmoopy1000

Post Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:09 pm

HiddenHollow wrote:Yeah, I read all that, but what do I expect from NASCAR?

Nada. :|

There is simply no PROOF of anything.

I think there is plenty of proof there. With that said. I don't think Nascar is gonna do anything either.
At worse maybe a fine to line their pockets & a slap of the hand. but honestly don't think anything at all will be done.

Honestly I wouldn't mind if they didn't allow Ryan & Gordon in but because of the crap all of MWR did, they took them both out of the chase & just had a chase with 10 drivers. That would definitely send a message not to play that game.

but I stand by the thought Nascar will do nothing at all.
Last edited by Schmoopy1000 on Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImage
<<

onerockindoc

Post Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:30 pm

Yeah, raise your hand if you think they will do anything about this.

Clint was locked in...Vickers had no shot of making it....in my mind it would be acceptable to give up a spot to a teammate. But to change the outcome is an entirely different thing.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement
<<

Annalee

Post Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:42 pm

Watch the YouTube and tell me this didn't happen....look at Bowyers face.......the man is not telling the truth!! Plus Scott Miller did the same thing for RCR and now he is competition director for MWR......coincidence ....i think not!!

Vickers was told to pit because they needed to get Logano in in order for Truex to make it in the chase......without Logano he still wouldn't have made it!! That is why the slow speed and both Vickers and Bowyer sat on pit road to get Logano in!!! No Logano ..... no Truex!

"Fight for Four".......................me

I #Support Smoke
<<

beaverpond

Post Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:44 pm

I don't picture anything being done either, but I too also feel that both MWR teams should be pulled from the Chase to set an example and leave it at 10 teams in the Chase. To add to it, I think they should deduct points and fine them all for everybody's part in this mess at MWR.
Image Image

The Nascar Sprint Cup Champion For 2014 Is...
<<

tlmerk

Post Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:46 pm

I know... all the shadiness leaves a bad taste in the mouths of many of the fans. It's bush league and it's done occasionally, but it's not fair. It's not a classy move IMO. MWR can go crawl under their rock and I hope their sponsors take note. I hope the fans have longer memories than we usually do and I hope MWR is fined BIG TIME. Driving slow and unnecessary pit stops are one thing, but intentionally causing a Caution is BS and should be illegal in this sport with stiff penalties. But, I notice no one is talking about Carl jumping his restart anymore?
Where there's Smoke, there's fire!
<<

Schmoopy1000

Post Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:47 pm

tlmerk wrote:I know... all the shadiness leaves a bad taste in the mouths of many of the fans. It's bush league and it's done occasionally, but it's not fair. It's not a classy move IMO. MWR can go crawl under their rock and I hope their sponsors take note. I hope the fans have longer memories than we usually do and I hope MWR is fined BIG TIME. Driving slow and unnecessary pit stops are one thing, but intentionally causing a Caution is BS and should be illegal in this sport with stiff penalties. But, I notice no one is talking about Carl jumping his restart anymore?

there is a thread for Carls BS restart. & even has Nascars statement about it
ImageImageImage
<<

michaeljohn

Post Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:24 pm

i dunno why people are shocked, nascar is inconsistent,
I will miss you Frehley........
<<

beaverpond

Post Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:31 pm

I think I would actually be shocked if they did anything that had anything more than a fine or loss of points
Image Image

The Nascar Sprint Cup Champion For 2014 Is...
<<

michaeljohn

Post Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:42 pm

its not like they are gonna take the win away from carl, because then JJ won dover, clint thing would be lucky if he gets a penalty, because there is no real proof of him sayin he was gonna spin himself out, jr did it almost 10 years ago, but he was dumb to say it was goin to do it on the radio
I will miss you Frehley........
<<

wolfgang

Post Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:58 pm

So what do you think of team mates now? RCR and HMS have pulled simular chit like this in the past and nothing was done-won't happen here either!
CARL jumps the start,why is it ok for him but not JJ?
Nascar has become the biggest joke in motorsports today!
Sorry Ryan drove his @ss off for the win and had it taken away due to pure B.S.!
<<

NASCARNan

Post Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:03 pm

Wow, missed all the Vickers additional antics until reading this. NASCAR should do something, but what? And I don't believe they will. I vote: Bowyer & Truex out & Gordon & Newman in! This will not happen! I always argued with anyone who said NASCAR was fixed, but last night the fix was in $ NASCAR will not do anything! Very disappointed!
NASCAR Nan
<<

Schmoopy1000

Post Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:12 am

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
ImageImageImage
<<

midwesternsmoke

Post Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:30 am

Well, if NA$$$$CAR DOES act, (but doubtful they will) a loss of points WOULD be appropriate and REALLY shake things up. Taking 25-50 points from all parties in question would SURELY give the "Chase" a different look. I'm not a big Newman fan but, the fact remains, MWR is a JOKE and Bowyer is a FIRST CLASS dosh nozzle. SOMEBODY needs to wake up and realize that MWR had a plan in place ever since Tony invited Martin in to drive the 14. Why didn't SHR bring in Larson or even Cole Whitt??
Unless you've experienced the Unconditional Love and Loyalty of a good dog, you have yet to live.
"GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS,ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS"[/[color=#FF4000]
color]
Next

Return to NASCAR & Racing