FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Nascar about the restart

<<

Schmoopy1000

Post Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:21 pm

Nascar about the restart

At Richmond International Raceway, the finish in the Federated Auto Parts 400 came down to balls and strikes on Saturday night. As questionable as the timing of Clint Bowyers spin on Lap 393, so was the final restart with three laps remaining in the race. Technically, race leader #27-Paul Menard should have crossed the start-finish line first  controlling the restart. But eventual race winner #99-Carl Edwards was nearly a full car length ahead at the line. When NASCAR vice president Robin Pemberton addressed the teams in the pre-race drivers meeting, he promised competitors that while many may have some questions on restarts tonight the sanctioning body reserved the right make a judgment call on. OK?
There are balls and there are strikes. Sometimes you dont like the call; sometimes we dont even like the call we have to make, Pemberton said. I just want to remind everybody: Do not put us in that position where we have to make the call. Because more times than not, it isnt going to be in your favor  and we dont want to do that, OK? Ironically, in the same meeting, Edwards had a question regarding another element of restarts. He broached the possibility of future use of video replay to review the drivers positions for the "lucky dog" or beneficiary position where the first car one lap down returns to the lead lap.
Although NASCAR insisted it would continue to use scoring loops to line up the cars, a review of the final restart would have clearly shown Edwards car beating Menard to the line. At Dover earlier this year, #48-Jimmie Johnson was black-flagged for a similar offense and was assessed a drive-through penalty that cost him a potential win.
On Saturday night, however, Menard took two tires on his last pit stop to gain track position. His #27 Menards Chevy was first off pit road. But coming to the line, Edwards claimed Menard was at a big disadvantage with grip after electing to take two tires. He took off, Edwards said. I waited until he went to go. As we were going, his car actually touched my door. I think it surprised him a little bit or something. He turned a little bit. I heard his engine speed up. He spun the tires. At that point, I mean, I really have a choice to either lift off the throttle and wait for him to try to gather it up  I've never seen a guy able to gather up too quickly when they spin that bad  or go and hope NASCAR understands that he spun his tires. In this case they did. They understand he came up and hit me and spun his tires.(FoxSports)
AND from a Team Chevy transcript of post race comments:
Menard: We just had a really good long run car. Restarts, especially that last restart old left side tires, we had to try something. We werent going to beat those guys heads up so we had to try a little strategy, but awesome Chevrolet on long runs. Just couldnt take off very good.(Team Chevy)(9-8-2013)
ImageImageImage
<<

Schmoopy1000

Post Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:23 pm

Re: Nascar about the restart

BTW I loved the fact DJ called Nascar out on this. nascar stated several times (think after the JJ penalty) Do not beat the leader to the line period.
I am pretty sure nascar probably isn't happy with DJ right now LOL
DJ flat said they were wrong :mrgreen:
ImageImageImage
<<

tlmerk

Post Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:33 pm

I can't find a video of that restart on NASCAR or Fox's site. NASCAR just has to get some consistency with their rulings or people are going to get so ticked off we quit watching altogether. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to when apply penalties and fines and when they look the other way.

I hate the fact that Ryan was cheated out of a spot in the Chase because of a bad restart and an intentional wreck. Clint Bowyer was obviously lying in that interview and his crew or whoever was on the radio put him in a bad spot. Junior essentially said he spun out for no reason and I tend to believe Jr. The radio chatter was also extremely suspicious and stupid IMO.

So crappy to have lost a spot at the Chase like this. Wonder what Tony is thinking about it all, afterall, Kurt and Kevin both made it in.
Where there's Smoke, there's fire!
<<

onerockindoc

Post Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:02 pm

On my way home after work Saturday afternoon I was listening to Sirius. They had just ended the drivers meeting where all drivers were told (after Friday night's debacle) NOT to make them make a decision because it just might not go their way.......
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement
<<

tlmerk

Post Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:32 pm

I know, I read about that drivers' meeting and that Carl had specific questions about restarts. Ironic considering his lack of penalty in jumping his restart. I don't know what will shake down. I suspect nothing will be done by NASCAR. For them to fine Waltrip's team would be one thing (and I think they should considering they made Vickers pit for their own agenda and Bowyer's obvious wreck) would be justifiable but unless they take Bowyer out of the Chase and put in Jeff G and Ryan and run a 13-driver Chase, it would not really be fair. I can't see NASCAR doing anything so radical as that.

Bah Humbug. This sport needs to have a separate regulatory commission that overseas it. It's not even a sport anymore. It's entertainment and not really all that entertaining. I can see them in the future... NASCAR teaming up with WWE and produce a WrestlerMania meets NASCAR drivers circuit.
Where there's Smoke, there's fire!
<<

onerockindoc

Post Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:33 pm

Then finally Kasey Kahne can wear make up in public.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement
<<

wolfgang

Post Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:25 pm

onerockindoc wrote:Then finally Kasey Kahne can wear make up in public.

You're killin' me,i thought i was the only one who seen that but i wasn't sure till NOW!! :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:
One, two, three and one more Hendrick driver to go!

Return to NASCAR & Racing