FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

UPDATED: Raikkonen to compete in NASCAR

<<

peanut1439

Post Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:49 pm

UPDATED: Raikkonen to compete in NASCAR

Raikkonen to compete in NASCAR

By Pablo Elizalde Tuesday, March 29th 2011, 13:49 GMT

Former Formula 1 world champion Kimi Raikkonen will make a surprising move to NASCAR this year, the Finn joining the series with a new team.

According to the Turun Sanomat newspaper, Raikkonen - the 2007 world champion - will be racing with the new ICE1 Racing team in the Truck series before moving on to the Nationwide and Sprint Cup series.

He is expected to join the championship from this summer, although no dates are yet confirmed.

Raikkonen will be joining forces with Foster Gillett, who will be a major partner of the team, having worked with Richard Petty Motorsport in NASCAR last year.

Foster's family owned the Montreal Canadiens' NHL franchise and are also former co-owners of the Liverpool football club.

"I'm really looking forward to get there to familiarise to the world of NASCAR," Raikkonen was quoted as saying by Turun Sanomat.

"I have been following it for a long time. I know, it's a very tough and open, top racing series. I just love the American spirit of racing. It feels just great to get involved with that. Obviously, it will be very challenging and great fun for me."

According to the newspaper, the negotiations about which car the ICE1 Racing team will run are about to be completed.

Raikkonen will continue to compete in the World Rally Championship this year, where he has a deal for eight events.
Last edited by peanut1439 on Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Those who intentionally live off another’s labor will always want more free stuff!
<<

peanut1439

Post Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:11 pm

Re: Raikkonen to compete in NASCAR

UPDATE -
Evernham: Ray Evernham, a former partner of Foster Gillett at Richard Petty Motorsports was a little bit astounded when he learned of the rumor of Kimi Raikkonen coming to NASCAR with a new team owned by Foster Gillett. "I really don't know why Kimi would partner with people who continually fail with sports franchises," Evernham told Auto123.com. "I don't know how they could leave with so many unpaid bills and return to the sport," Evernham added. Evernham says he was not paid over $19USD million and brought a lawsuit against his former partner earlier this year in a state court in North Carolina.
Those who intentionally live off another’s labor will always want more free stuff!

Return to NASCAR & Racing