FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

SIMONA DeSILVESTRO ANYONE????

<<

midwesternsmoke

Post Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:49 pm

SIMONA DeSILVESTRO ANYONE????

looks like an interesting newcomer???...............

The list of drivers to latch onto the back of Will Power or Tony Kanaan on a road course--and stay within striking distance--is a short one, but that's just what Simona De Silvestro, the 22-year-old native of Thun, Switzerland did today at the Honda Grand Prix of St. Petersburg.

De Silvestro, all smiles and excitement after placing fourth in the 100-lap season opening race for the IZOD IndyCar Series, crossed the finish line less than a half-second behind Kanaan, the 2004 IndyCar Series champion, and ran as high as second early in the event.

Attrition certainly played a part in helping De Silvestro move from her 17th-place starting position to fourth by the end of the two-hour race, but it had nothing to do with her ability to tussle with three of IndyCar's best road racers.

While Franchitti and Power created a bit of separation in at the head of the field, the most heated battle on Sunday took place between Kanaan and De Silvestro as they scrapped for the final spot on the podium.
De Silvestro's attacking style fits perfectly with the best road racers in the IZOD IndyCar Series. (Marshall Pruett)

Both drivers came into the race feeling unsettled, with Kanaan signing to drive for his KV-Lotus Racing team just days before the event, and De Silvestro having to work with a new and unfamiliar race engineer on the eve of her sophomore IndyCar campaign.

The fact that De Silvestro's usual engineer left her team to assume the role as Kanaan's engineer at KV-Lotus only managed to add to the brewing on-track battle at St. Pete.

With the final 15 laps of the race turning into a private duel between Kanaan and De Silvestro, and only after the race was over, the two protagonists revealed just how much they enjoyed the spirited duel.

"It's the first time really competing against each other," said De Silvestro. "You know, it's pretty crazy for me because I've been watching him since I was growing up and to be right there racing him now is pretty cool, you know."

Kanaan, who was unfamiliar with the new green and white color scheme on De Silvestro's car, admitted it took a while before he learned which driver was pushing him to his limits and beyond in the quest for third place.

"[My team] said that it was Simona, and I [then] remembered because she blew my doors off in the restart before. And I knew she was strong. You know, I used everything I could to be able to hold her off."

Becoming a regular contender at the sharp end of the grid is clearly De Silvestro's goal, but for now, and with many celebrating her breakthrough performance at St. Pete, a Tweet late Sunday night from her sparring partner put a nice wrapper on the weekend.

"Great job girl," said Tony Kanaan to his new pal @simdesilvestro. "Next time take it easy on the old guy here. :-) . Nice drive."

Kanaan and De Silvestro step into the ring for Round 2 at Barber Motorsports Park on April 10th.
Unless you've experienced the Unconditional Love and Loyalty of a good dog, you have yet to live.
"GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS,ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS"[/[color=#FF4000]
color]
<<

HiddenHollow

Post Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:56 pm

Re: SIMONA DeSILVESTRO ANYONE????

She looks to me like she has promise as a driver. Did quite well here in St. Pete yesterday. Congrats to her!

Pretty good for a driver from a country that has banned auto racing and had to go to France to find a track.
"I'll wreck my mom to win a championship. I'll wreck your mom to win a championship." - Tony Stewart, November 17, 2011

"Fight For Four" - Annalee, March 27, 2012

#StandWithSmoke #14in14
<<

duffygoofy

Post Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:50 pm

She did a great job but i think TK was blocking her the last lap.
(she did better than Danica and (Danica)shes been racing alot longer than Simona.
ImageImage
<<

Schmoopy1000

Post Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:49 am

Simona raced her way up to 2nd place for awhile about mid way into race. So I think they cheat her when they say she finished 4th because of attrition. She was racing. Also Kanaan blocked her a couple times the last two laps, which I believe is illegal in the Indy cars. (Could be wrong dont watch it much)
Simona from my understanding has mid teir equipment at best (from what I heard when I asked around) & is outperforming Danica in top teir equipment.
ImageImageImage
<<

michaeljohn

Post Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:18 am

it was one race, danica got caught up in the wreck, maybe this chick is the real deal, time will tell, it bothers me that people want to discredit danica at every turn, and LOVE to point out her faults. Im not a fan of hers, but i am a fan of women being racing, and respect anyone who can break into the top racing leagues. at the end of the day danica won a race( and its a cop out to say it was a fuel mileage race, because we ALL would be satisfied if our driver won that way.) first woman ever to do so, lead at indy, daytona, again first woman to do so. she has talent, yea she is charming and is attractive, but keep in mind people, its the media that shoves her down everyone's throat, because that is what media does, they beat a dead horse until there is backlash, i for one look fwd to danica coming back to the NW series and see if she can build on her good runs this yr,
<<

Schmoopy1000

Post Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:26 am

michaeljohn wrote:it was one race, danica got caught up in the wreck, maybe this chick is the real deal, time will tell, it bothers me that people want to discredit danica at every turn, and LOVE to point out her faults. Im not a fan of hers, but i am a fan of women being racing, and respect anyone who can break into the top racing leagues. at the end of the day danica won a race( and its a cop out to say it was a fuel mileage race, because we ALL would be satisfied if our driver won that way.) first woman ever to do so, lead at indy, daytona, again first woman to do so. she has talent, yea she is charming and is attractive, but keep in mind people, its the media that shoves her down everyone's throat, because that is what media does, they beat a dead horse until there is backlash, i for one look fwd to danica coming back to the NW series and see if she can build on her good runs this yr,

part of the problem is the media forces her down our throats. However if she was a guy, everyone would be expecting her to lose her ride (in Indy cars or Nascar) The fact is she has been in Indy cars with good or great equipment & has underachieved. Simona has outperformed her (until her equipment fails) with subpar to mid grade equipment. So if I had to root for a woman in the sport because they are a woman it would be Simona who is only starting her 2nd season. I believe her ceiling is much higher than the Media darling. So dont be mad at those of us that doesnt follow the media script on who to root for like sheep.
:)
ImageImageImage
<<

duffygoofy

Post Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:24 pm

How do you think shes going to do in Indy? I think she might do pretty good maybe 8-9 place.
ImageImage

Return to NASCAR & Racing