FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Davey Allison

<<

Smoke14TS

Post Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:36 pm

Davey Allison

Twenty years ago today, I lost my hero when Davey Allison passed away in a Birmingham hospital the day after his helicopter went down in the Talladega infield. Hard not to wonder what all he would have accomplished and what the resume of some of today's drivers would look like (I don't think Gordon would have as many wins or championships, he had the bulk of the success and Davey would have taken a bit of it) but I guess you have to fall back on the family motto of the Pettys: Never put a question mark where God has put a period.

Here's this I wrote if anyone is bored enough to give it a read. http://t.co/zy1wooC3IU
"This one's for every one of those fans in the stands that pull for me every week and take all the bull**** from everybody else." - Tony Stewart, July 29, 2007

"My fans have more balls." - Tony Stewart on Jeff Gordon's fans.
<<

Rochelle

Post Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:37 pm

Re: Davey Allison

Awesome article, thank you. I was watching Speed the other day when they focused on Davey. I wasn't a NASCAR fan when he was running, but I wish I had been.
"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe" - Friedrich Nietzsche
<<

ndunn

Post Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:02 pm

Smoke14TS wrote:Twenty years ago today, I lost my hero when Davey Allison passed away in a Birmingham hospital the day after his helicopter went down in the Talladega infield. Hard not to wonder what all he would have accomplished and what the resume of some of today's drivers would look like (I don't think Gordon would have as many wins or championships, he had the bulk of the success and Davey would have taken a bit of it) but I guess you have to fall back on the family motto of the Pettys: Never put a question mark where God has put a period.

Here's this I wrote if anyone is bored enough to give it a read. http://t.co/zy1wooC3IU

Aaron I wasn't bored before reading your tribute to Davey Allison and I surely wasn't after I read it. Being a long time NASCAR fan The Allison family was one of my favorites. I always felt the Allison racers were top notch racers but they had some of the most devastating things happen to them. It took grit for them to stay in racing. When Clifford passed away in practice at Michigan International Race Track it seemed to be the worst thing they would been handed. But some time later when Davey last his life it just didn't seem possible that one family would have the burden of losing two children. I saw an interview Bobby and his wife did in regard to their two sons. It was heart breaking but the Allison's spoke so eloquently that I was glad I had watched it. Thank you for your thoughtful posting. I really appreciated what you wrote. There is an error I believe you made regarding McReynolds. I believe Dale Earnhardt asked him to come to Childress and be his crew chief. Which MacReynolds did do. It wasn't a very long relationship and there wasn't any real reason but rumors as to why. It was then that he went into the broadcasting. Just a little more on Davey. It is hard to believe Davey would be in his 50's. I still think of him as that sweet little guy who could raced up a storm.
The Military Thanks You For Standing Behind Them. If You Can't Do that You Can Always Stand In Front Of Them.....Think About It.....

Thank you to those who took a step forward to save the rest who stand still.
<<

jsw14

Post Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:48 pm

Here's Davey Allison's WIN at Daytona. Signed by Bobby Allison :mrgreen:

Plus> The Allison Gang. Signed by Davey's wife Liz Allison :mrgreen:
BS & Brilliance only come with Age & Experience!!
Image "Fight For Four" - Annalee, March 27, 2012
Image "STAND UP FOR TONY & SHR"
<<

NASCARNan

Post Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:05 pm

Great article. Thanks for sharing. I was a NASCAR fan when Davey passed away. I also remember that a co-worker at the time was a huge Davey fan. He was taken way to soon.... We haven't made it to
Talladega, but after reading your article, I want to go more now then ever. Thanks again.
NASCAR Nan

Return to NASCAR & Racing