FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

What just happened???...

<<

Annalee

Post Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:02 pm

What just happened???...

For those who don't know.....or don' t read Tony's forum.....NASCAR has said "no penalties "...really! Then what was point of giving the teams approved spacers, then the teams "modify" them, NASCAR confiscates them.....parades them around like they just found Jimmy Hoffas body, threatens them with penalties, fines suspensions, taking their first born and this is sacred ground because WE gave them to you, you may loose your head...then it is OH, not a problem......they look like complete idiots! And they wonder why there are empty seats in the Grandstand......? :roll: :roll:

Speaking of empty seats in the GRANDSTANDS......you need to read the marketing idea for empty grandstands...I hope and pray someone didn't pay good money for this idea!!

ISC to continue cutting track seats: International Speedway Corporation already has decreased the capacity of its tracks by 17 percent from 2007-2012, cutting capacity from 1.1 million to 909,000. And it pledges more cuts. Daytona International Speedway, which once had 168,000 grandstand
seats and currently seats 147,000, will seat a mere 101,000 (not including suites) by 2016. ISC, whose stock is primarily controlled by the NASCAR-owning France family, told financial analysts last week that it plans to decrease capacity at several more racetracks. Other tracks cutting capacity points to at least a 25 percent reduction from 2007. Company officials said seats without views of pit road don't deliver as good of an experience. Or seats too far from many of the midway areas or the prerace activities don't allow fans to take advantage of those amenities.
In order to create urgency and worry among ticket buyers, ISC will cut the number of seats available. They don't want fans to wait on the weather. They want fans nervous that if they don't buy early, at best they will end up disappointed with their seat, or at worst, out of luck because the race sold out. ISC's answer is to decrease the number of seats. In some ways, that is an
acknowledgment that fewer people attend live sporting events overallpurchasing habits of sports fans have changed and packed grandstands at facilities that can hold 125,000 will never again exist.(Sporting News)(7-10-2013)

Short version......less seats, higher prices that will make them want to rush to the Box office and pay twice as ,much for the same seat they sat in last year.......how stupid do they think WE are??
I give up........ :roll: :roll:
Image"Fight for Four".......................me

"Take this as your warning: I gave you guys 14 weeks without me. I'll be back and ready at Daytona to kick your #### again," Smoke
<<

Schmoopy1000

Post Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:06 pm

Re: What just happened???...

Annalee wrote:For those who don't know.....or don' t read Tony's forum.....NASCAR has said "no penalties "...really! Then what was point of giving the teams approved spacers, then the teams "modify" them, NASCAR confiscates them.....parades them around like they just found Jimmy Hoffas body, threatens them with penalties, fines suspensions, taking their first born and this is sacred ground because WE gave them to you, you may loose your head...then it is OH, not a problem......they look like complete idiots! And they wonder why there are empty seats in the Grandstand......? :roll: :roll:

Speaking of empty seats in the GRANDSTANDS......you need to read the marketing idea for empty grandstands...I hope and pray someone didn't pay good money for this idea!!

ISC to continue cutting track seats: International Speedway Corporation already has decreased the capacity of its tracks by 17 percent from 2007-2012, cutting capacity from 1.1 million to 909,000. And it pledges more cuts. Daytona International Speedway, which once had 168,000 grandstand
seats and currently seats 147,000, will seat a mere 101,000 (not including suites) by 2016. ISC, whose stock is primarily controlled by the NASCAR-owning France family, told financial analysts last week that it plans to decrease capacity at several more racetracks. Other tracks cutting capacity points to at least a 25 percent reduction from 2007. Company officials said seats without views of pit road don't deliver as good of an experience. Or seats too far from many of the midway areas or the prerace activities don't allow fans to take advantage of those amenities.
In order to create urgency and worry among ticket buyers, ISC will cut the number of seats available. They don't want fans to wait on the weather. They want fans nervous that if they don't buy early, at best they will end up disappointed with their seat, or at worst, out of luck because the race sold out. ISC's answer is to decrease the number of seats. In some ways, that is an
acknowledgment that fewer people attend live sporting events overallpurchasing habits of sports fans have changed and packed grandstands at facilities that can hold 125,000 will never again exist.(Sporting News)(7-10-2013)

Short version......less seats, higher prices that will make them want to rush to the Box office and pay twice as ,much for the same seat they sat in last year.......how stupid do they think WE are??
I give up........ :roll: :roll:

on a side note to your short version. Less seats means less empty seats on TV. Their perception is everything.
ImageImageImage
<<

housesandhogans

Post Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:17 pm

Well, have to admit that the no penalties is, as Larry Mac would say, a head scratcher to me. I don't pretend to understand what all these parts and pieces do. And of course, it is the media who blows everything up, not necessarily Nascar. But, it does seem to me that if they say they added spacers to the cars this year to keep everyone safer and to keep the cars more on the ground.........then you would think messing with those safers would be a rather severe issue. But, obviously I know less than I thought I did. I don't even know enough to make sense of what they do.

On the # of seats. Its funny you should mention this. I just watched the beginning of the re-play of last weekends race and I noticed (for the second time - remember noticing it on Sat) that there were a lot of empty seats in the first camera shots. With today's economy, raising the price of seats to me is ridiculous. If people can't afford to go now, what makes them think people will pay more just because there are fewer seats? I know they like to think they are marketing gurus and they know what they are doing..........but I think they are silly.
<<

Rochelle

Post Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:28 pm

That's really not surprising. Every week you see tons of empty seats. Besides, if the demand is down, why not get rid of them? Most of the tracks will probably add more fan friendly things to do. Don't we all know that NASCAR is all about the all mighty dollar?

I get the no penalties thing. Too many teams involved in something that means nothing. Can you image the press and time spent if only half of those teams appealed? For once I'm saying NASCAR isn't stupid, a 180* departure from my normal opinion. Besides, Larry has already scratched off most of his hair.
"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe" - Friedrich Nietzsche
<<

Jellikit

Post Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:43 pm

Easy way to fill the seats. Sell them cheaper....a LOT cheaper. Make them like the crap seats you can get at baseball stadiums for around $5.

More money, more people, more people buying concessions, more people viewed on TV...everybody happy, happy, happy.

It's one thing to clear out empty seating, which does cost money, to put in things for the fans to enjoy, but I doubt that is the case.

People here want to rag on Danica, but at this point, she's one of the few who are bringing in new fans. That is badly needed.
<<

michaeljohn

Post Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:27 am

its all about dale sr, like it or not, there was an explosion of new fans into nascar throughout the 90's and once he passed most of those fans went away.......

i dont think danica had that much of an impact on tickets sales, in fact if you have proof, i would love to see it, i just checked and the few that i seen all talk about a decline since she has bee in the sport.
<<

Jellikit

Post Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:38 am

I didn't say she sold seats..I said she brings in new fans. If you don't think it's true, you provide the proof. Do you have any idea how many young people, both boys and girls are fans of hers? Without question, she is bringing in new fans.

I highly doubt that she is responsible for any decline in ticket sales, as you are insinuating. It's more likely do to the fact that 5time has no personality. People want a winner they like, not just go "ho-hum" about. :roll:
<<

HTower

Post Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:53 am

Fans in the stands don't mean a thing. Television viewers is what concerns sports leaders. And NASCAR turned in some fantastic numbers for the FOX portion of the season.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2013/0 ... ar/186283/

NASCAR on FOX concluded its 2013 portion of the season as the highest-rated and most-watched sport in-season for the 13th straight season, according to figures released today by Nielsen Media Research. The complete 2013 NASCAR on FOX Sprint Cup season averaged a potent 4.8/10 household rating/share for the third time in four years (2010, 2012 & 2013).

In addition to its 13-year in-season reign, the 2013 NASCAR on FOX season also outperformed the NBA Playoffs on ABC by +41% (4.8 vs. 3.4), as well as complete NBA Conference Finals coverage on all networks by +7% (4.8 vs. 4.5). NASCAR on FOX is the only major sport on a broadcast network not to post a year-to-year ratings decline this year. NASCAR on FOX also continues to be a ratings force among male viewers watching events live. Compared to broadcast network prime time entertainment programming, live NASCAR on FOX viewership ranks No. 2 among Men 18-49 and Men 25-54 from February through the end of the broadcast season.
<<

michaeljohn

Post Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:43 am

i have nothing to prove, i did check and it said attendance has been down since she started full time in 2012, is that a reflection on her of course not, plus i dont supply links, you have to take me at my word, i dont b.s when i debate, i just choose not to sit here and cut and paste to prove my greatness, hahaha
<<

Schmoopy1000

Post Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:58 am

1st off I think Jelli & MJ are making different arguments.
While I believe Danica has brought some new fans to the sport. That is to the TV viewers, Which is why Nascar pushes her so much.
However She is irrelevant to putting butts in the seats. The proof is in the fact of all the empty seats & the fact ISC is taking seats out. No that doesn't mean she is the reason for empty aseats either. So stay calm Danica fans. She simply has no relevance to the topic.

Even though ISC is owned by Nascar, they have two different jobs.
Nascar has to push ratings to make money by revenue from commercials.
ISC has to promote for the tracks, & get revenue by putting butts in the seats. (selling food etc. etc. etc.)

As far as Dale Sr. goes, my opinion is it is true this is when Nascar jumped the Shark, but not for the reasons you would think.

You see before Dales death he was talked about a lot because he was up front & winning a lot. But also Nascar paid attention to all the other drivers. Even the ones that weren't the most popular. They were very diverse. So even though the Hut Stricklins & John Andretti's & all the other not so popular drivers didn't have a lot of fans (% wise) they all still had fans. After Dale Sr. death nascar kneejerked reaction was everyone was gonna leave because they lost the guy that everyone either rooted for or rooted against. So they stopped caring about all those lil guys & focused literally on one driver for awhile. Dale Jr.
Which turns off the fans of the other drivers. Eventually them going so overboard, that fans that stuck around started getting annoyed with Dale jr & his fans which only weakened nascar even more.
Nowadays nascar still hasn't learned. Now they push their agenda of what I call their media darlings trying to boost their ratings, instead of letting the casual fan decide for themselves what to think or root for. When realistically if Nascars fan base was more diverse & spread out to a lot more of the drivers in the field. nascars fanbase would be much more stronger than having everyone liking Dale Jr. or Danica or whatever young driver they are pushing at the moment.
So while Dale's death is the starting point of Nascars fall, it was their Kneejerk reaction to it that is why nascars decline, & not his death itself.
Bottomline nascar needs to stop BSing their fanbase & let them think for themselves.
Oh & on a sidenote quit letting brian France make any decisions for Nascar.

As far as ISC. I don't understand spending tons of money to look like they are busier.
ImageImageImage
<<

michaeljohn

Post Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:03 am

see i didnt read all that you wrote, i never insinuated anything about danica, thats what you were looking for, btw you taking a swipe at JJ is hurting me? im sure you have a glowing personality by reading some of your posts, so you wanna take it down the road of busting balls, we can do that, im relentless, but id rather just debate a fact, and if im wrong, i am man enough to admit it...

I made a remark that i felt she was not putting people in the stands, and you got all excited and offended had to attack JJ, attack him all you want, just remember Mr Ho-Hum is one of the best at what he does.....

SCH........... i was pointing out attendance has been going down and since the addition of danica it still has gone down, its called an economy,
<<

Schmoopy1000

Post Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:08 am

michaeljohn wrote:see i didnt read all that you wrote, i never insinuated anything about danica, thats what you were looking for, btw you taking a swipe at JJ is hurting me? im sure you have a glowing personality by reading some of your posts, so you wanna take it down the road of busting balls, we can do that, im relentless, but id rather just debate a fact, and if im wrong, i am man enough to admit it...

I made a remark that i felt she was not putting people in the stands, and you got all excited and offended had to attack JJ, attack him all you want, just remember Mr Ho-Hum is one of the best at what he does.....

SCH........... i was pointing out attendance has been going down and since the addition of danica it still has gone down, its called an economy,

yeah I know. That is my point. you were talking attendance, Jelli was talking ratings. two different things. Like I said Danica has no relevance to butts in the seats. (danica talk was more for jelli than you) Just pointing out before you two dragged out your debate, you guys are actually debating two different things. Your talking ISC & jelli was talking Nascar (realistically)
ImageImageImage
<<

michaeljohn

Post Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:15 am

SCH it breaks my heart when i go to dover (fav track) and they have those big sections of stands covered up with banners, that use to be a hot ticket.......... they use to put make shift stands on the backstretch, just to handle the extra people, now like many tracks, lucky if its half filled and i stick by my original statement that a lot had to do with dale sr, for the explosion in popularity and the drop off.....
<<

HTower

Post Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:05 am

michaeljohn wrote:i have nothing to prove, i did check and it said attendance has been down since she started full time in 2012, is that a reflection on her of course not, plus i dont supply links, you have to take me at my word, i dont b.s when i debate, i just choose not to sit here and cut and paste to prove my greatness, hahaha

Not sure why you are coming after me here. Yes I posted a link, but that has nothing to do with my greatness ;) ;) ;)
<<

Annalee

Post Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:57 am

Most of the fan base for NASCAR is in the thirty to sixty range......in order to keep the sport alive they need to draw in the younger crowd.... By taking the sections that are now covered and having kids under the age of, say 12 ,in free when accompanied by an adult. Adults ticket...15.00-20.00 dollars.... Call it a family section.....Give the kids a free t- shirt, hot dog and coke, pop corn, some driver interaction (little girls love Danica) and other various types of entertainment....get them interested while they are young...
Lower all ticket prices for everyone else......their thought of eliminating seats has already been twice......That is definitely not working! Simple math....Lower prices....more seats filled...more people....more food, beverages and souvenirs sold....win win !
If there is a Military base close, provide the troops with free bus transportation and free tickets...complimentary drink and hot dog. They do this some places, but it should be at all tracks. That is the least we could do for all they do for us....plus the troops will want to buy souvenirs and food .....

So far NASCAR is doing better than Indy racing. Pocono was 75 per cent empty last Sunday......but both need to step up their game
Image"Fight for Four".......................me

"Take this as your warning: I gave you guys 14 weeks without me. I'll be back and ready at Daytona to kick your #### again," Smoke
Next

Return to NASCAR & Racing