FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Bobby Labonte possibly replaced by Allmendinger at MIS

<<

beaverpond

Post Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:50 pm

Bobby Labonte possibly replaced by Allmendinger at MIS

It is being reported that there might be a driver change in the #47 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series car for JTG Daugherty Racing.

Currently the #47 car is driven by 2000 NASCAR Winston Cup Champion Bobby Labonte, a ride he has been in since the 2011 season. The reason for the possible driver change is the lack of performance out of Bobby Labonte since entering the position in 2011.

Since Bobby Labonte joined JTG Daugherty Racing in 2011 the 1-time Cup Champion has only scored 1 top-5 finish (in the 2011 Daytona 500, his first race with the team) and 4 top-10 finishes. He has finished 29th and 24th in the last 2 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series Seasons.

The possible change in drivers is expected to take place next weekend at Michigan International Speedway.

The possible replacement for the #47 car is unknown at the moment but it is being reported that A.J. Allmendinger, who for JTG Daugherty Racing met with this month, is the possible candidate.

A.J. Allmendinger has been without a full-time NASCAR Sprint Cup Series ride since July of 2012 when he was suspended for a failed drug test as he was driving the #22 for Penske Racing.
Image Image

The Nascar Sprint Cup Champion For 2014 Is...
<<

michaeljohn

Post Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:35 pm

Re: Bobby Labonte possibly replaced by Allmendinger at MIS

bobby struggled ever since he left JGR and when to RP, and that is usually the kiss of death once you drive for petty.......
I will miss you Frehley........
<<

TishR

Post Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:59 pm

Jamie Little just reported on Twitter that AJ Allmendinger will be in the #47 for the next 5 races starting with Michigan.

She also stated that AJ and Bobby are sharing the ride.
Tish
<<

Annalee

Post Sat Jun 08, 2013 5:37 pm

I hope AJ can turn around his driving career....he has made a reall effort to change his personal life and I do think he deserves a second chance....

"Fight for Four".......................me

I #Support Smoke
<<

beaverpond

Post Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:51 pm

UPDATE: A.J. Allmendinger will race 5 races in the #47 car for JTG Daugherty Racing while Bobby Labonte will be in the seat for the remainder of the 2013 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series season. This will be done in an effort to bring the single-car team up to the standards by sponsors. ”We are realistic about our position in the garage as a single-car operation. However, we have always been able to punch above our weight to deliver a great value to our partners on and off the track. We have not been doing that with the new car and this move is an additional step in determining what areas we need to work on to improve our performance.” said the team’s co-owner Tad Geschickter. Plans for 2014 are yet to be announced.
Image Image

The Nascar Sprint Cup Champion For 2014 Is...
<<

BlackFlag

Post Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:57 am

I think they should wait until after the Michigan race to replace Bobby.

He has run really well and even won at Michigan in the past.
My least favorite band in the history of music is called: Dale Earnhardt Jr. Jr.
<<

awsum14

Post Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:32 pm

Update: Fox Sports
Bobby Labonte will continue his NASCAR Sprint Cup consecutive start streak this weekend as he will drive the Phoenix Racing No. 51 at Michigan International Speedway. Labonte has 703 straight starts in the series.

Labonte will drive for Phoenix while AJ Allmendinger competes in the No. 47 JTG Daugherty Racing entry at Michigan as part of his five-race deal with that team.

"Bobby came and helped us out a few years ago when we were trying to get our Sprint Cup program up and running," Phoenix crew chief Nick Harrison said. "Now (team owner) James (Finch) wants to return the favor. We know Bobby will do a great job for us this weekend."

The 2000 Cup champion has three Cup wins at Michigan.

On Tuesday, Phoenix is expected to fit Jacques Villeneuve for a seat in its car for the June 23 race at Sonoma Raceway. He will be driving the same chassis that Kurt Busch drove to a third-place finish at Sonoma last year.
If at first you don't succeed, don't give up
Try Harder
<<

wolfgang

Post Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:12 pm

Jacques Villeneuve -oh #### no,not that idiot!
One, two, three and one more Hendrick driver to go!
<<

TishR

Post Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:44 pm

Couldn't they find anyone else! I sure hope they like replacing cars and let's keep count of how many people he ticks off.
Tish
<<

Rochelle

Post Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:52 pm

wolfgang wrote:Jacques Villeneuve -oh #### no,not that idiot!

Well at least we know the 51 won't be running up front this year... Good for all the drivers that run well on the road courses... :twisted:
"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe" - Friedrich Nietzsche
<<

michaeljohn

Post Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:54 pm

wolf n rochelle blocked!!!1!!!
I will miss you Frehley........
<<

bugeaters

Post Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:16 pm

Sadly, I think the former champ will lose his ride. I often think these older guys should retire sooner rather than later. I don't think Bobby has forgotten to drive, but since he left Gibbs he's not been in the best equipment. Also, I wonder if some of these guys have lost their desire to compete.
spit on it, suck it up & go

Return to NASCAR & Racing