FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

TRD President steps aside

<<

beaverpond

Post Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:49 pm

TRD President steps aside

Citing family health care needs, Toyota Racing Development president and general manager Lee White vacated his position and will serve as a consultant for the rest of the season before retiring.

White has worked more than 15 years for TRD and helped spearhead the Japanese manufacturer's entry into NASCAR. Toyota entered the Camping World Truck Series in 2004 and the Sprint Cup circuit in '07.

"I have been planning and working toward retirement at the end of this race season in December," White, who also oversaw Toyota in NHRA, Grand-Am, USAC and off-road series, said in a statement. "I have been offered and accepted an opportunity to perform a reduced amount of duties from my home office. This generous arrangement afforded to us by the company will allow me to attend to personal family priorities."

Toyota said the assignment of White's duties would be determined soon.

It's been a mixed season for TRD, which builds the Sprint Cup engines for Joe Gibbs Racing and Michael Waltrip Racing. Though it's notched five victories and eight pole positions, TRD also has suffered a spate of engine failures, including two apiece for JGR drivers Kyle Busch and Matt Kenseth.

A brief summary in another article says that Kenseth & Kyle Busch had engine failures at Daytona.
The next week in Phoenix there were two more TRD engine failures before the race, but it does not say who.
When going to California, Bowyer had an engine failure.
Then this past weekend in Dover we saw Kyle, Matt, and Truex who lost engines.

By this count, that is 8 TRD engines in 13 races.
Image Image

The Nascar Sprint Cup Champion For 2014 Is...
<<

michaeljohn

Post Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:55 pm

Re: TRD President steps aside

matt scares me this year, he could win it all, so as a race fan who like another driver, i like the engine failures, but matt is one of the good guys who deserves a championship........
<<

beaverpond

Post Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:01 pm

I think we are going to be seeing a different Sprint Cup Series Champion this year. However, these constant engine failures will make things difficult for Kyle, Matt, or any other driver with a TRD engine under the hood.
Image Image

<<

michaeljohn

Post Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:07 pm

no doubt about the new champ, id put my money on matt, he seems the srongest, but if the engines hold up it could be anyone from JGR, even denny, he hasnt fooled around since bein back
<<

beaverpond

Post Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:17 pm

As it stands right now and anything can change as we all know, but for Denny to climb high enough...he will need to win at least two races to knock Tony out of the Wild Card position and he will have to be in the top 20. Tony may be in 16th as of right now, but he is the only one with a win of any driver in positions 11-20.
Image Image

<<

michaeljohn

Post Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:08 am

all it took was one good race and tony is back in the game.......
<<

beaverpond

Post Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:45 am

All he needed was two good races. One to put him in the top 20 and a second for a win. It just happened in two consecutive weeks.
Image Image

<<

Banjo14

Post Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:35 am

If Toyota can build an engine that can run for 100 miles of practice and 500 miles of racing without blowing up, this will be their year for a championship (Kenseth/Bowyer/Busch/Hamlin -- any of them has a good shot). BUT if what Kyle Busch said -- "engineers told me the problem is not fixable" -- and JGR/MWR drivers are at the mercy of luck (who gets the bad engine this week?) then the Chase will be over by the end of the Texas 500.
GO LIKE STINK, SHR!
<<

michaeljohn

Post Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:18 am

ya know beav, i cant help but giggle when i think back to some of the post in here, and people were ready to commit harry caray........ :mrgreen:
<<

beaverpond

Post Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:23 am

You mean those days when I would be ready to kill you for every little comment you would make. Have you noticed how many times I have picked Jimmie, there was a time that I would have to kill myself before picking him.

As we grow up, we don't get older...we get wiser.
Image Image

<<

Rochelle

Post Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:24 pm

Both Kyle and Denny had engine failures at Phoenix. Didn't Kyle have engine failures 3 races in a row? I thought he didn't but don't know for sure
"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe" - Friedrich Nietzsche
<<

beaverpond

Post Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:35 pm

I was only going by the news article I was reading the detailed who blew a TRD engine where. There was one race where Gibbs did not use a TRD engine and one of his three drivers still blew it up, but none of them were near the front and that may be part of it. Break the contract and risk running in the back or keep the contract and risk having engine failures and being able to run up front. Either way, you are not going to be happy all the time because somebody in your garage is going to be on the losing end of this deal...you just hope not more than one on a given weekend.
Image Image

<<

Rochelle

Post Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:44 pm

Wow, I just found on the internet that Toyota has lost 17 engines in races this year and another 4 in practices.

Besides Matty's 2, "Other Toyota drivers with engine problems include: Travis Kvapil (four failures), Kyle Busch (two), Bobby Labonte (two), Joe Nemechek (two) and Truex, David Stremme, Clint Bowyer, David Reutimann and Mike Bliss with one each."

That is just plain ridiculous...
"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe" - Friedrich Nietzsche
<<

Annalee

Post Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:49 pm

Image.ROCHELLE....AVATAR IS PERFECT!!

MWR found two more engines in their inventory, that hadn't been used,also had similar issues ..... Back to the drawing board.......despite all this they are the FASTEST CARS ON THE TRACK!!
Image"Fight for Four".......................me

"Take this as your warning: I gave you guys 14 weeks without me. I'll be back and ready at Daytona to kick your #### again," Smoke
<<

Rochelle

Post Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:33 pm

:mrgreen: Sonja and King Julian... A match made in heaven... :mrgreen:
Next

Return to NASCAR & Racing