FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

SMOKE GETS IN JOHNSON'S EYES..............

<<

Annalee

Post Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:46 am

SMOKE GETS IN JOHNSON'S EYES..............

LOVE THE TITLE...............

CUP: Smoke Gets In Johnson’s Eyes

Written by: Mike Hembree
Date: 06/02/2013 - 04:01 PM
RESULTS

FedEx 400 benefiting Autism Speaks
Points After Dover

Jimmie Johnson made a big mistake, and Tony Stewart made a familiar charge.The result in Sunday’s FedEx 400 Benefiting Autism Speaks was Stewart’s first win in what has been a tough Sprint Cup season for the former champion.
NASCAR ruled that Johnson jumped the race’s final restart with 19 laps to go, and he went from the lead to pit road to serve a pass-through penalty. That left the battle for the win to Juan Pablo Montoya, who was looking for his first Cup oval-track win, and Stewart, who was looking for his first top five of the year.
Montoya was the leader on the outside on the restart, and NASCAR said the Johnson started too soon from position two on the inside. Johnson surged to the lead but had to give it up to Montoya to serve the penalty.

Stewart, who had not led a lap, gained steadily on Montoya and passed him with three laps to go to take the lead for good.

Montoya finished second, and Jeff Gordon was third.

“Man, it’s been such a tough year,” Stewart said. “We’ve let them (fans) down for a long time. Hopefully, we’ll start building that momentum.”

The win was large in many ways for Stewart. He finally broke through the ice curtain to get his first victory of 2013, a win that’s sure to boost confidence in a Stewart-Haas Racing team that had seemed to be drifting. Stewart moved from 20th to 16th in points and, with the win, dramatically improved his chances of making the Chase for the Sprint Cup.

Stewart said his car wasn’t strong Friday and that the team made a big turnaround Sunday.

“These are the days that mean more to me, going from where we were Friday than having a weekend where we show up quickest in practice and sit on pole and everything goes right all weekend,” he said. “It’s much harder to do it like we had to over the last 48 hours.

“This was no layup. It wasn’t a little tweak here and a little tweak there. This was going and saying, ‘OK, we may have to abort everything we’re doing to come up with a new package.’ ”

Stewart said the team has focused on a turnaround.

“Our guys have never given up,” he said. “There have been a lot of dejected and disappointed guys all year, but that’s why we want them at Stewart-Haas. The way we’ve been running, we want them to be disappointed and dejected. But they’re all wanting to find a solution. The guys don’t quit and refuse to give up.”

The face of the race changed significantly on lap 378 when Denny Hamlin’s car crashed into the second-turn wall after a front tire exploded. Johnson had a comfortable lead at that point, but the caution bunched the field.

After pit stops, Montoya led Johnson, Clint Bowyer, Stewart and Brad Keselowski to the green flag.

After the race, Johnson, who finished 17th but kept the series point lead, disagreed with NASCAR’s call.

“I was half-throttle for the whole frontstretch,” Johnson said. “At some point, I’ve got to go. He (Montoya) is not even going. I’m not sure if his car broke or it’s off power. I’m running half-throttle down the stretch waiting for him, and he’s not coming. It’s a bummer. We certainly had the winning car.”

Stewart, whose top seasonal finish entering the race was a seventh last week at Charlotte, didn’t break into the top 10 Sunday until the final 30 laps. At that point, his car was the strongest it had been.

The race’s strangest crash occurred on lap 301 when Ryan Newman, teammate of the winner, bumped David Gilliland into a spin, and Gilliland’s car dropped down the track and into Newman, sending both cars to the garage. Gilliland, normally mild-mannered, approached Newman’s car and engaged him in an animated conversation about the incident.

Later, Gilliland told reporters he “got wrecked” and that Newman, who had been racing Gilliland hard for several laps, was too aggressive.

A few laps after the Gilliland-Newman incident, Kasey Kahne, running eighth, slipped and spun into the wall in turn two, bringing out the day’s sixth caution.

Matt Kenseth, in pursuit of what would have been a fourth seasonal victory, had a strong car in the first half of the race but fell victim to another in a perplexing series of Toyota engine problems. Kenseth was leading the race on lap 159 when his engine belched smoke, ending his day. He led 29 laps.

The race was eerily reminiscent of the Daytona 500 for Kenseth. He led 86 (of 200) laps in that race but finished 37th after engine trouble.

Martin Truex Jr. also had a potent Toyota Sunday, but he also parked with an engine issue.

After the race, NASCAR said Keselowski’s Ford had been measured as too low in the front and that any related penalties will be considered early this week.

Mike Hembree is NASCAR Editor for SPEED.com and has been covering motorsports for 31 years. He is a six-time winner of the National Motorsports Press Association Writer of the Year Award.

"Fight for Four".......................me

I #Support Smoke
<<

Jellikit

Post Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:51 am

Re: SMOKE GETS IN JOHNSON'S EYES..............

Thanks for posting Annalee.
Good read. 8-)
<<

HTower

Post Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:31 pm

Montoya pulled a fast(not literally) one on Johnson at the restart, it was very clear that Montoya did not begin accelerating in the normal place, and got Johnson and the 48 caught.

TRD managed to screw things up again with their engines this year. They had this problem earlier in the year for several races, most of had thought they had got it fixed, but apparently not.
<<

HiddenHollow

Post Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:51 pm

Engine failures so far in 2013 cup races:

Chevy - 2
Ford - 4
Toyota - 17

(ESPN stats)
"I'll wreck my mom to win a championship. I'll wreck your mom to win a championship." - Tony Stewart, November 17, 2011

"Fight For Four" - Annalee, March 27, 2012

#StandWithSmoke #14in14
<<

michaeljohn

Post Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:17 pm

JJ played it cool, he didnt whine about it, even chad said on the radio it was ok that JJ took off, so its no big deal, still got the point lead,.... and has a prime spot in the chase....

now none of people here that talk crap about JJ bein nascars golden boy have no room to talk, because if he was, they would have let him go,

did you expect anything less from me :D
I miss you Frehley........
<<

Rochelle

Post Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:52 pm

I was a bit surprised that JJ didn't let JPM pass him. I understand JJ going by what Chad said, but better to be safe than sorry. JJ had the better car. But hindsight is 20/20 and that track is short and there wasn't much time to think about it. Got to give him credit though, he said he didn't agree with it but didn't whine. The talking heads were irritating as usual. Glad we're done with them.
"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe" - Friedrich Nietzsche
<<

michaeljohn

Post Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:55 pm

JJ said he slowed up but JPM never wanted to catch up, which is a smart move on JPMs part, without crashing him, he took out the most dominant car.....
<<

HTower

Post Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:39 pm

michaeljohn wrote:JJ said he slowed up but JPM never wanted to catch up, which is a smart move on JPMs part, without crashing him, he took out the most dominant car.....

I've never thought of JPM as being crafty before, but yeah, he pulled some deviousness out of his hat there and removed what he thought was his biggest threat to winning. NASCAR may eventually have to revise/create new rules to prevent this sort of gamesmanship during a restart. Perhaps an examination of the tachometer of the lead car in the restart block? Too little acceleration and there is no penalty for the 2nd car taking the lead.
<<

Rochelle

Post Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:53 pm

If JJ had waited a couple of seconds, till he passed that 2nd white line, he would have been fine. I don't look for that process to change. The one thing I did notice was Tony was all over the back of JPM which shows he didn't take off, however, that's the leaders prerogative. And I believe JPM is that devious, just didn't realize he had the brain to think of it. But that could have been his cc's call, who knows. Besides, it's not as if JPM is in that position very often... :twisted:
"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe" - Friedrich Nietzsche
<<

michaeljohn

Post Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:55 pm

HTower wrote:
michaeljohn wrote:JJ said he slowed up but JPM never wanted to catch up, which is a smart move on JPMs part, without crashing him, he took out the most dominant car.....

I've never thought of JPM as being crafty before, but yeah, he pulled some deviousness out of his hat there and removed what he thought was his biggest threat to winning. NASCAR may eventually have to revise/create new rules to prevent this sort of gamesmanship during a restart. Perhaps an examination of the tachometer of the lead car in the restart block? Too little acceleration and there is no penalty for the 2nd car taking the lead.

there have been many issues over the years with the restart, so i agree, they need to settle on something that doesnt seem complicated...... hahaha i was not tryin to make JPM to be a crafty person, it was something that hit me last nite when i was goin brain dead...
<<

michaeljohn

Post Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:56 pm

Rochelle wrote:If JJ had waited a couple of seconds, till he passed that 2nd white line, he would have been fine. I don't look for that process to change. The one thing I did notice was Tony was all over the back of JPM which shows he didn't take off, however, that's the leaders prerogative. And I believe JPM is that devious, just didn't realize he had the brain to think of it. But that could have been his cc's call, who knows. Besides, it's not as if JPM is in that position very often... :twisted:

the point was JJ beat him to the start line and ya cant do that, so just by looking at it, it appears nascar has two sets of lines...
<<

Annalee

Post Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:38 pm

The tower gave Chad a chance to tell JJ to drop back, and give the lead back to JPM, but Chad didn't relay that message to JJ and that is why he received the black flag......That start JPM did is an old IRL and dirt track move....especially when the car in second is faster than the lead....JPM just "snookered" JJ......and JJ just played right into his plan.

"Fight for Four".......................me

I #Support Smoke
<<

michaeljohn

Post Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:54 pm

well i guess you and i listen to two different radio transmissions, must be hard to follow tony if your glued in to JJ radio,

JPM doesnt have the talent to out drive JJ so thats why he played his lil baby game
<<

michaeljohn

Post Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:56 pm

plus JJ and earl have direct communication
<<

Schlooby

Post Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:03 pm

Hey this ain't JJ's VIP Garage, I think its funny as heck old 5 time got schooled by someone who's never won on an oval !! And he was my pick to win the race! :D
Next

Return to NASCAR & Racing