michaeljohn

Post Thu May 16, 2013 4:46 pm

Re: Dick Trickle Died

dunno why people commit suicide......
<<

Annalee

Post Thu May 16, 2013 6:53 pm

I remember someone said "Suicide is a permanent Solution to a temporary problem".........

Sad News - Dick Trickle: According to the sheriff's office, Retired race car driver Richard "Dick" Trickle, 71, died Thursday from an apparent self inflicted gun shot wound. Investigators say Trickle apparently went to the Forest Lawn Cemetery on Highway 150 East in Boger City around noon on Thursday. He used his phone to call the Lincoln County Communications Center and told the 911 operator to come to the cemetery and "there would be a dead body and it would be his." He then hung up the phone. Communications Center workers attempted to call Trickle back, but he did not answer. When emergency crews arrived on the scene, they reportedly found Trickle's body lying near his pickup truck. Dick Trickle was NASCAR legend who actually didn't start with the organization until he was 48-years-old. He won the Winston Cup Series' "Rookie of the Year" in 1989. Trickle, a Wisconsin-native who achieved much success on short tracks outside of NASCAR, made his Cup debut in 1970 but didn't race full time in the series until 19-years later. "Our thoughts and prayers go out to the family and friends of Dick Trickle on his passing today," said NASCAR
Chairman & CEO Brian France. "Dick was a legend in the short-track racing community, particularly in his home state of Wisconsin, and he was a true fan favorite."
"Personalities like Dick Trickle helped shape our sport. He will be missed," France continued. He was known as "The White Knight" and often referred to as the "winningest short track driver in history" with more than 1,200 wins on short tracks all over the country. His last Winston Cup start was in 2002. He finished his Cup career with 303 starts, but no wins. Trickle had more than 150 starts in the Nationwide series, the last in 2001, where he won twice.
NASCAR Hall of Fame driver and ESPN analyst Rusty Wallace competed for years against Trickle on Midwest short tracks, in the American Speed Association (ASA), and then later in the NASCAR Winston Cup Series. "I'm in 100 percent shock. Dick Trickle was my mentor. When I was short track racing, I would call him every Monday morning and he would always help me with race setups and stuff," Wallace said in a statement on Thursday afternoon. "He and I had such a good time telling little stories, but he was the guy that taught me almost everything in the American Speed Association. And he was the guy that I battled right to the end for my 1983 ASA championship. I barely beat the guy that taught me everything. I'd not seen Dick as much as I'd like to of late. He was a legend," Wallace continued. "A man that'd won over a thousand short track races, was one of the most winning short trackers in America, was a role model to many short track racers coming up. Could just do magic with the race car and he taught me so much about racing. My success in the ASA and what Trickle taught me is what got me into NASCAR. That's what got me hired by Cliff Stewart back in '84. Between Larry Phillips and Dick Trickle, they taught me everything." Dick Trickle has lived in Lincoln County since the early 1990's.(wbtv.com)
Trickle was the 1989 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series Rookie of the Year, started 303 Cup races with 15 top-fives [with a best finish of 3rd, five times), 36 top-tens and 1 pole (Dover 1990).(Racing-reference.info)(5-16-2013)
Image"Fight for Four".......................me
<<

azk8ster

Post Thu May 16, 2013 11:37 pm

Thoughts and prayers for Dick's family and friends, and obviously for Dick.
"Faith is believing in things when common sense tells you not to"
<<

dirt93

Post Fri May 17, 2013 12:35 am

I wonder if he was terminally ill or something.... I don't know why people do this. When I was a teenager I thought of ending my life but I figured that I liked me but I didn't like my life. SOOO I decided to make changes to improve my life ...

Sad news for sure.
Here kitty kitty.. come get you some of this!!
<<

michaeljohn

Post Fri May 17, 2013 1:42 am

hey dirt they said he left a note and was strugglin with a illness and very depressed, i can relate anytime someone is struggling with illness, i did so from 94 through 95 and it was a very depressing time, because no one could understand the pain and bein limited in doing daily activities. i could never kill myself, only because i think im gonna miss something big and no matter how sick i get i wanna live for as long as i can, this isnt a movie here where someone says "cut" and you get a do over.
<<

ndunn

Post Fri May 17, 2013 11:29 am

This news makes me sad. I remember his driving and what a character he was. Dick was a person who would do the unexpected and always had everyones attention. Because of his age Dick was probably depressed and could not imagine the future. Things in your 70's are way different than what they were 10 years ago for a person and it's a shame he felt he had to do what he did. Rest in peace Dick Trickle you deserve it.................
The Military Thanks You For Standing Behind Them. If You Can't Do that You Can Always Stand In Front Of Them.....Think About It.....

Thank you to those who took a step forward to save the rest who stand still.
<<

BlackFlag

Post Fri May 17, 2013 11:40 am

Yea, that whole story is sad. Rest in Peace, Dick!
My least favorite band in the history of music is called: Dale Earnhardt Jr. Jr.
<<

Jellikit

Post Fri May 17, 2013 11:56 am

RIP Dick.
No driver's results ever appeared on ESPN more often then his. I don't know if he knew how endearing it was to race fans to see that each week, but I hope his family and loved ones do.
<<

HiddenHollow

Post Fri May 17, 2013 11:58 am

dirt93 wrote:I wonder if he was terminally ill or something.... I don't know why people do this. When I was a teenager I thought of ending my life but I figured that I liked me but I didn't like my life. SOOO I decided to make changes to improve my life ...

Sad news for sure.

'He didn’t know how much longer he could take the pain': Brother of NASCAR legend Dick Trickle says a chronic mystery ailment plagued him just days before his suicide

By Daily Mail Reporter and James Nye
PUBLISHED: 06:36 EST, 17 May 2013 | UPDATED: 07:25 EST, 17 May 2013

Legendary NASCAR driver Dick Trickle suffered chronic debilitating pain in his chest before his suicide according to Chuck, his brother.

Trickle, 71, who died on Thursday from a self inflicted gunshot wound was so distressed by his mystery ailment that he visited doctors twice a day.

According to his brother the popular racer became depressed by the discomfort under his left breast telling him that he 'didn't know how much longer he could take the pain.'

'It's a shock to me,' said Chuck Trickle to The Las Vegas Review Journal. 'It's real hard to think about. He was my brother, my friend and my hero, in that order.'

'He was very down.'

Chuck, who lives in Las Vegas said that to his knowledge his brother was healthy, except for the pain under his chest, but when they last spoke a week ago he suspected that something was wrong when he heard his brother curse.

Complete article here :arrow: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... icide.html
"I'll wreck my mom to win a championship. I'll wreck your mom to win a championship." - Tony Stewart, November 17, 2011

"Fight For Four" - Annalee, March 27, 2012

#StandWithSmoke #14in14
<<

michaeljohn

Post Fri May 17, 2013 2:42 pm

well there are people worse off than he, that face the day, suicide is the chicken way out, there were days my hemoglobin was under 4 and anytime something touched my lips i wold vomit, i endured 9 operations in one year, but thats life ya deal and move on, ya dont pull the selfish card and bail on people.
<<

smokieonefour

Post Sun May 19, 2013 4:50 pm

R.I.P. to an old hero... hope you're up there, revving it up & finding & feeling peace, once again. :-)

You may be gone, but will NEVER be forgotten for all the memories and the marks you left in people's lives. You will live on.

As for the suicide issue ... he went out, on HIS terms - his own way, with his pride & dignity. He didn't want to live on in pain & a burden to others, so he made, what we see in movies and on battlefields... the ultimate, selfless choice. God Bless this man and his family.

Smoke 'em if ya got 'em!

Sh*t happens... but don't worry, it usually happens to me.
<<

Rochelle

Post Sun May 19, 2013 8:33 pm

No, sorry, suicide is the cowards way out. I've seen what it does to families first hand and it's the most selfish act I can think of. The misery and despair that it leaves behind in family and friends is unbelievable. Everyone beating their selves up over not being able to help or kicking themselves over not seeing the signs. Survivors guilt doesn't just happen in accidents or wars. I have no respect for someone that does that. It almost makes me physically sick when I think about what that did to my closest friend and her kids. Shame on him
"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe" - Friedrich Nietzsche
<<

wolfgang

Post Sun May 19, 2013 9:04 pm

Don't know all the circumstances or what led Dick to this,but his accomplishments in racing over the years outside Nascar are remarkable.Whatever he was looking for by taking his own life,i hope he found what he was looking for as sad as it sounds.We'll miss you Mr.Trickle,R.I.P.brother! God Bless you and all the lifes you touched while you were here.

Return to NASCAR & Racing