FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

WHAT IF ?????......

<<

Annalee

Post Tue May 14, 2013 8:26 pm

WHAT IF ?????......

What if the format for the All Star Race was changed to add this to the winner takes all format.......What if the winner had a choice either take the money or a guaranteed spot in the chase....... Make it lucky number 13 # in the Chase.........Money certainly isn't an issue for the drivers, but a guaranteed spot in the Chase.........hmmm mm! That would make the All Star race even that more intense.......even those who are high in the points might take this perk....look at Denny Hamlin and what happened to him. Food for thought......what do you think????
Image"Fight for Four".......................me

"Take this as your warning: I gave you guys 14 weeks without me. I'll be back and ready at Daytona to kick your #### again," Smoke
<<

Schmoopy1000

Post Tue May 14, 2013 9:47 pm

Re: WHAT IF ?????......

Annalee wrote:What if the format for the All Star Race was changed to add this to the winner takes all format.......What if the winner had a choice either take the money or a guaranteed spot in the chase....... Make it lucky number 13 # in the Chase.........Money certainly isn't an issue for the drivers, but a guaranteed spot in the Chase.........hmmm mm! That would make the All Star race even that more intense.......even those who are high in the points might take this perk....look at Denny Hamlin and what happened to him. Food for thought......what do you think????

I think the Chase is a joke already. This would simply make it, an even bigger joke IMO.
Remember when Championships were given out to those who did the best that year. Now its just a contest. As far as the All star race. if you enjoy purposely wrecking people it would work well in a Bruton Smith kinda way. You know nascar wont take a win away for wrecking others. They never have. But now we guarantee a spot to a team not even half way through the season. They might as well use each race as a test session. The races wont matter to that team anymore. HeII let the driver take a decent vacation to refresh himself a couple times the rest of the season. Points wont matter. All for being in a race that doesn't even have a full field of cars. To me it is a bad idea.
ImageImageImage
<<

onerockindoc

Post Tue May 14, 2013 10:26 pm

Call Bruton at 1-800-GRT-IDEA
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement
<<

dirt93

Post Tue May 14, 2013 10:43 pm

onerockindoc wrote:Call Bruton at 1-800-GRT-IDEA

LMAO
Here kitty kitty.. come get you some of this!!
<<

michaeljohn

Post Wed May 15, 2013 12:38 am

bad idea, lets say someone chooses to take a chase bid, they could run around all summer and do testing for the chase, and lets face it, regardless how much money you have, getting more never hurts, because you do not know what the future holds, they made changes in the past to the chase so certain drivers had a better chance to make, if anything they should lower it to 6 or 8.
<<

ndunn

Post Wed May 15, 2013 2:44 pm

I have to say go for the money. One accident can put a person out for the rest of the season. Now I know that most of the drivers are paid well but not all. Who was the guy years ago that was leading in points had an accident and was out of racing because of a break in his neck? He was the driver that got out of his car during a red flag stop and proceeded to fix his fender. Didn't go over very well with the officials. I can remember the goofy stuff but not his name.
The Military Thanks You For Standing Behind Them. If You Can't Do that You Can Always Stand In Front Of Them.....Think About It.....

Thank you to those who took a step forward to save the rest who stand still.
<<

Rochelle

Post Wed May 15, 2013 2:59 pm

If I'm not mistaken, that was Sterling Marlin. Wasn't that the Coors car?
"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe" - Friedrich Nietzsche
<<

ndunn

Post Wed May 15, 2013 3:10 pm

Rochelle wrote:If I'm not mistaken, that was Sterling Marlin. Wasn't that the Coors car?

You are correct. I don't remember the sponsor of the car I just remember Ned Jarret and Benny couldn't believe he got out of the car to fix the fender. I don't remember the wreck he had to injure the neck. It was before the chase. Thanks for posting I doubt if I would have thought about Sterling.
The Military Thanks You For Standing Behind Them. If You Can't Do that You Can Always Stand In Front Of Them.....Think About It.....

Thank you to those who took a step forward to save the rest who stand still.
<<

Schmoopy1000

Post Wed May 15, 2013 3:21 pm

yeah Sterling Marlin was in the Coors light #40 car when he was leading the points & got his neck injury. Him pulling on his fender at Daytona was just classic, but I am sure Ward Burton appreciated it.
ImageImageImage
<<

Annalee

Post Wed May 15, 2013 6:01 pm

That's the rumor around here......and it has legs........ :lol: They talked about this last nite on RACEHUB..... Just thought I'd throw it out for all of you to think about :mrgreen:

Doc.....you hit the nail on the head with a baseball bat.... It would save him ALOT OF MONEY.. ; ;)

Remember when thinking about this, you have to think like they do......money....got that, a spot in the Chase, not a given!
Image"Fight for Four".......................me

"Take this as your warning: I gave you guys 14 weeks without me. I'll be back and ready at Daytona to kick your #### again," Smoke
<<

kim92164

Post Wed May 15, 2013 7:49 pm

As my dad used to say IF is a big word and IF the dog hadn't stopped to take a crap (he used another word) he would have caught the rabbit. Does any of that make sense? :?
<<

michaeljohn

Post Wed May 15, 2013 9:49 pm

lets take a moment to break all this down.......

nascar will do what is best for the sport, many dont like the chase, but it was made because they were losing viewers to football, be it from a driver having the championship wrapped up, and they hoped the chase mad things closer, last two years were awesome point battles, there is no way they would ever consider this idea, making a non points race basically "the race to win." it would turn this sport into a joke, and from im seeing, it would be a good for a driver like denny who got injured. that would insult every driver that had to end their season to a injury, or maybe it would be great if tony won just that race and made the chase, its never goin to happen,

lets say it did and lets say JJ was the first to benefit from this new rule and he won the championship, i could see the postings on here saying how nascar is out looking for the 48, i can bet my soul on it,

you are awarded a chase bid for bein consistent and running up front and not for putting all your efforts into one race.
<<

onerockindoc

Post Wed May 15, 2013 9:54 pm

In all honesty it would be like giving a bonus of some sort to the guy who wins the points standings prior to the chase.

What do all of you think of that? What should that guy get? Mini trophy? Bonus check? Where does everyone stand on the consistency factor?
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement
<<

dirt93

Post Wed May 15, 2013 9:57 pm

I personally like the NO POINTS format. Its the one race that doesn't matter for points and the drivers can just go out and have some fun.
Here kitty kitty.. come get you some of this!!
<<

Jellikit

Post Wed May 15, 2013 10:46 pm

dirt93 wrote:I personally like the NO POINTS format. Its the one race that doesn't matter for points and the drivers can just go out and have some fun.

Agreed dirt. No all-star game in any sport counts towards a team's success...except the ridiculous baseball home-field advantage for the WS.
It's all about the fun and showcasing the talent for the fans.

Return to NASCAR & Racing