FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Garage Gossip

<<

Schmoopy1000

Post Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:48 pm

Re: Garage Gossip

If Matt Clark is correct in his explanation of what the Penske cars were trying to do. I would have to agree it breaks the spirit of the rule (& I don't side with Nascar to often) If nascar says they don't want the rear ends kicking out & Penske uses all legal parts to make the rear ends kick out to aid in the corners. Then I feel the penalties are just. Now I don't blame the teams for trying some "innovations" but now they are busted so suck it up buttercup :P It is the risk they all take.

As far as who narced off the Penske cars from HMS. Why do people automatically assume it was a CC? HMS has 100's of employees. Unsure how many are at the track but it is a lot! Why wouldn't you assume it was an engineer or a car chief or something. Seems to me the CC has to be pretty busy schedule once at the track to have time to do the spying to figure out what is under other teams cars. Also another thought would be how do we not know it was someone else (like a smaller team) that knew about the Penske cars & told HMS knowing they were big enough to be able to deal with such drama. Could have been Rick himself that whispered in the ear of Nascar.

I'm just trying to be Encyclopedia Brown here. 8-)
ImageImageImage
<<

Annalee

Post Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:11 am

If what I've heard locally is true, this is a very big penalty, fine and suspension...don't think Penske wont be watching.....this could keep Chad on the straight and narrow for a very long time......

PENSKE EYES....................Watching... :lol: :lol: ImageImage

"Fight for Four".......................me

I #Support Smoke
<<

Schmoopy1000

Post Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:29 am

Annalee wrote:If what I've heard locally is true, this is a very big penalty, fine and suspension...don't think Penske wont be watching.....this could keep Chad on the straight and narrow for a very long time......

PENSKE EYES....................Watching... :lol: :lol: ImageImage

creepy! LOL :mrgreen:
ImageImageImage
<<

HTower

Post Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:33 pm

Annalee wrote:If what I've heard locally is true, this is a very big penalty, fine and suspension...don't think Penske wont be watching.....this could keep Chad on the straight and narrow for a very long time......

How long is NASCAR going to wait to make an announcement? It's getting on in the week and the Penske teams deserve to at least know what is going to happen to them this weekend, back up drivers, crew chiefs, etc.
<<

HiddenHollow

Post Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:05 pm

Reported on Jayski's:

NASCAR Penalties announced for three teams: Penalties have been handed down to three NASCAR Sprint Cup Series teams following last Saturday's race at Texas Motor Speedway. The #56 car was found to have violated Sections 12-1 (actions detrimental to stock car racing); 12-4J (any determination by NASCAR officials that the race equipment used in the event does not conform to NASCAR rules); and 20-12.8.1B (the car failed to meet the minimum front car heights during post-race inspection) of the 2013 rule book.
As a result of this violation, crew chief Chad Johnston has been fined $25,000 and placed on NASCAR probation until June 5. The team has also been docked six championship driver (Martin Truex Jr.) and six championship owner (Michael Waltrip) points.
The #2 and #22 cars have also been penalized. Both cars were found to be in violation of Sections 12-1; 12-4J and 20-12 (all suspension systems and components must be approved by NASCAR. Prior to being used in competition, all suspension systems and components must be submitted, in a completed form/assembly, to the office of the NASCAR Competition Administrator for consideration of approval and approved by NASCAR. Each such part may thereafter be used until NASCAR determines that such part is no longer eligible. All suspension fasteners and mounting hardware must be made of solid magnetic steel. All front end and rear end suspension mounts with mounting hardware assembled must have single round mounting holes that are the correct size for the fastener being used. All front end and rear end suspension mounts and mounting hardware must not allow movement or realignment of any suspension component beyond normal rotation or suspension travel.)
As a result of this violation and as it pertains to the #2 car the following penalties have been assessed:
· Crew chief Paul Wolfe has been fined $100,000 and suspended from NASCAR until the completion of the next six NASCAR Sprint Cup Series championship points events (including the non-points Sprint All-Star Race) and placed on probation until Dec. 31.
· Car chief Jerry Kelley, team engineer Brian Wilson and team manager Travis Geisler (serves as team manager for both the #2 and #22 cars) have been suspended from NASCAR until the completion of the next six NASCAR Sprint Cup Series championship points events (including the non-points Sprint All-Star Race) and placed on probation until Dec. 31.
· The loss of 25 championship driver (Brad Keselowski) and 25 championship owner (Roger Penske) points.
As it pertains to the #22 car the following penalties have been assessed:
· Crew chief Todd Gordon has been fined $100,000 and suspended from NASCAR until the completion of the next six NASCAR Sprint Cup Series championship points events (including the non-points Sprint All-Star Race) and placed on probation until Dec. 31.
· Car chief Raymond Fox and team engineer Samuel Stanley have been suspended from NASCAR until the completion of the next six NASCAR Sprint Cup Series championship points events (including the non-points Sprint All-Star Race) and placed on probation until Dec. 31.
· The loss of 25 championship driver (Joey Logano) and 25 championship owner (Walt Czarnecki) points.(NASCAR)
"I'll wreck my mom to win a championship. I'll wreck your mom to win a championship." - Tony Stewart, November 17, 2011

"Fight For Four" - Annalee, March 27, 2012

#StandWithSmoke #14in14
<<

HTower

Post Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:28 pm

Ask and ye shall receive. :D Thanks HH!

6 races? Without knowing exactly what they did, I guess we can't say whether it is too steep a penalty.

It was an eye opener to see the rule that suspension components must be submitted to NASCAR in complete assembled form for approval. As fans, is it even possible for us to know what that approval process is like? Is approval transparent to other teams and that is why Penske didn't do it? Trying to get an advantage?
<<

Rochelle

Post Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:41 pm

We've seen this with other parts. Whenever they want to use something new, it has to be submitted to NASCAR for approval but as I believe it states, they can use it till NASCAR says yay or nay. Anyway, on Race Hub they said they believed the penalties would be stiff with the Gen 6 car.

Since this is the 1st such occurrence of the year, they're making a statement. As long as they appeal, the suspended personnel can be at the track until that process is completed. Can't say I'm surprised but I had thought they might have been able to get it reduced through appeal, but with the rules statement I read, I think that would be highly unlikely. Looks to me like they shored up some of that grey area during this past year.

The part I don't understand is that the Penske cars are running well so I don't see why they were taking chances. And they should have known how touchy NASCAR is with this new car...

JMO :D
"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe" - Friedrich Nietzsche
<<

Schmoopy1000

Post Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:04 pm

Rochelle wrote:We've seen this with other parts. Whenever they want to use something new, it has to be submitted to NASCAR for approval but as I believe it states, they can use it till NASCAR says yay or nay. Anyway, on Race Hub they said they believed the penalties would be stiff with the Gen 6 car.

Since this is the 1st such occurrence of the year, they're making a statement. As long as they appeal, the suspended personnel can be at the track until that process is completed. Can't say I'm surprised but I had thought they might have been able to get it reduced through appeal, but with the rules statement I read, I think that would be highly unlikely. Looks to me like they shored up some of that grey area during this past year.

The part I don't understand is that the Penske cars are running well so I don't see why they were taking chances. And they should have known how touchy NASCAR is with this new car...

JMO :D

Maybe they were running well because they were already doing this & just got caught last week.
ImageImageImage
<<

Annalee

Post Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:08 pm

HTower wrote:

How long is NASCAR going to wait to make an announcement? It's getting on in the week and the Penske teams deserve to at least know what is going to happen to them this weekend, back up drivers, crew chiefs, etc.

HT....The reason it wasn't released yesterday is that Penske and Brad were at the White House.....bad PR.

"Fight for Four".......................me

I #Support Smoke
Previous

Return to NASCAR & Racing