FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Garage Gossip

<<

Schmoopy1000

Post Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:34 am

Garage Gossip

If garage gossip is to be believed, somebody dropped a dime on NASCAR champion Brad Keselowski and his Penske Racing team at Texas Motor Speedway. The story blowing like wildfire Monday through NASCAR goes like this: Keselowski was parked at Texas next to Jimmie Johnson, while teammate Joey Logano was further down the garage parked next to Jeff Gordon. The assigned spots gave Hendrick Motorsports crews crystal clear views of the Penske cars all weekend As the story goes, there may have been eavesdropping on team chatter over the scanner during practice runs. Did someone from Hendrick ask NASCAR to take a closer look at the Penske cars? On race day, NASCAR inspectors were indeed sniffing around looking for an infraction. What they found in the rear-end housings on the #2 and #22 Fords were confiscated - Logano barely made the start of the race - though NASCAR vice president of competition Robin Pemberton curiously avoided a very important word in explaining the problem with the Penske cars. Pemberton never said the cars were illegal.
When the dust settles, crew chiefs Paul Wolfe and Todd Gordon will likely be sidelined for several weeks while Keselowski and Logano are stripped of critical points in the standings. Remember, it will be for something that hasn't been deemed illegal, at least not yet. It's more likely this is a case of something in development that the Penske crew was trying and NASCAR decided was too close to the edge. And there's the rub in all of this. NASCAR gets to decide when a team has crept too close to a non-existent line in the rule book.
Should the Penske organization get hit with stiff penalties this week, then NASCAR needs to answer the what, why and how to help everyone understand exactly what is and isn't "in the spirit of the rule."(Associated Press)(4-16-2013)

from Jayski
ImageImageImage
<<

michaeljohn

Post Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:05 am

Re: Garage Gossip

if the article is tryin to insinuate someone from HMS turned penske in, all i can say is, turn about is fair play, since brad called HMS out at michigan in the summer and nascar made hendrick stop modifying the back end, careful what ya wish for brad, ya just may get it, and ya did.......
<<

Schmoopy1000

Post Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:24 am

michaeljohn wrote:if the article is tryin to insinuate someone from HMS turned penske in, all i can say is, turn about is fair play, since brad called HMS out at michigan in the summer and nascar made hendrick stop modifying the back end, careful what ya wish for brad, ya just may get it, and ya did.......

Like I said elsewhere. Reap what you sow, good for the goose is good for the gander.

Watched Race Hub & if what Matt Clark explained to what Penske teams were trying to do is true. I see a major penalty coming.
ImageImageImage
<<

michaeljohn

Post Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:47 am

i wonder how many driver points will be taken away? im guessing 25.....
<<

HTower

Post Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:00 am

IF HMS called NASCAR, we can chalk this one up to Karma being a ####.

It is nice to see a team other than HMS pushing the limits though, lets not leave all innovations up to Hendrick.
<<

Jellikit

Post Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:18 am

I don't know if it's Karma, payback, or anything else than the fact that if you see a team gaining an advantage by breaking the rules...you flat call them out on it.
If they gain an advantage and stay in the rules doing so, you copy it. :D
<<

michaeljohn

Post Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:20 am

i guess many teams dont wanna take the chance because of the monetary fine, penske and HMS JGR can afford it if it comes to that, plus they are usually up their in points, so it wont hurt as much.

was that chuck long who go the wrath of nascar and it pretty much ruined his career, because he couldnt pay the fine???
<<

Schmoopy1000

Post Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:16 pm

it was Carl Long. he was fined 200k for his worn out motor LOL. He is still not allowed in the cup garage. he simply cant pay the fine.
I do think it will be a 25 pt penalty which isn't anything for the 2 team since even without those points he will be in the top ten in points come reset time. What to scare teams you take points away from the chase scenario. I think the part the 2 team will be upset with isn't the points but the suspensions I think is coming. Penske will never be hurting for cash so the fine wont mean much either. The only punishment that would mean anything is taking chase points away.
ImageImageImage
<<

Annalee

Post Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:53 pm

Jellikit wrote:I don't know if it's Karma, payback, or anything else than the fact that if you see a team gaining an advantage by breaking the rules...you flat call them out on it.
If they gain an advantage and stay in the rules doing so, you copy it. :D

PERFECT!!! Jellikit..... ;)

The only thing I see as a problem.......Brad and Joey are probably some of the most vocal in the garage and believe me Penske will be watching, just waiting to return the favor to Hendricks...this could be very interesting!! :lol: :lol:
Image"Fight for Four".......................me

"Take this as your warning: I gave you guys 14 weeks without me. I'll be back and ready at Daytona to kick your #### again," Smoke
<<

michaeljohn

Post Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:58 pm

brad squealed like a girl last year on HMS, your the karma woman, so here is an example of it working :lol: :lol: :lol:
<<

azk8ster

Post Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:06 pm

The only thing I have a real isssue with is the fact that, as the article pointed out, what was taken was never said to be illegal. We're going to have to (AGAIN!) deal with the fact that what is questionable/illegal on Wednesday at 3:55 pm might be perfectly fine the following Monday at 7 am!
"Faith is believing in things when common sense tells you not to"
<<

onerockindoc

Post Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:30 pm

Ok let me get this straight. Chad saw something he thought was illegal or in the gray area. He either couldn't copy it or was too afraid so he went and ratted the Penske boys out. Right? Am I right?

Nobody likes a tattler Chad.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement
<<

michaeljohn

Post Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:49 pm

why is this about chad???? there is no proof chad dimed them out, what if it was gordons crew that dropped the dime? but everyone wants to hate on chad because they are jealous and doc brad did the same thing last year cryin at Michigan, " lookin at JJ's rear and it actin funny" but thats ok.............. well its not.
<<

onerockindoc

Post Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:13 pm

Sir, please don't get your ####-hat in a wad. I'm playing Nancy Drew here.

IF it was someone at HMS then let's go with my theory. We all know Kenny Francis can't see too well, Letarte is way too concerned with his and JR's diet and Gustafson is way too jovial to be minding anyone else's business. Which brings us to Chad. The Brain trust over there. Not pointing a finger, rather a whole hand.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement
<<

Rochelle

Post Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:15 pm

Personally I hope it was Chad. What would the big deal be? Not as if they're not under the microscope every week so why shouldn't everyone else be? Seems fair to me. Penske should have followed the rules and submitted the parts to NASCAR for approval 1st. Even dummy me knows they need to do that. Happened to MWR last year. What about the side posts Chad got in trouble for last year? They weren't illegal either, NASCAR just didn't like them.

Get over it Brad, waaaaaaaaaa, cry baby. And yes, I like Brad but don't preach about Penske being squeaky clean anymore. Take your medicine like everyone else has had to.

Don't make me laugh about payback. HMS has eyes on them every second of every day...
"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe" - Friedrich Nietzsche
Next

Return to NASCAR & Racing