Races, tracks, drivers and all the drama that comes along with it
Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:38 am
· Groundbreaking for California Speedway, as Auto Club Speedway was originally known, took place in November 1995.
· The first race at Auto Club Speedway was a NASCAR K&N Pro Series, West race won by Ken Schrader on June 21, 1997.
· The first NASCAR Sprint Cup race was held on June 22, 1997 and won by Jeff Gordon.
· September 2004 was the first night race at Auto Club Speedway and that also was the first year both the NASCAR Sprint Cup and NASCAR Nationwide Series ran two races in a season there.
· The track name was changed to Auto Club Speedway in February 2008.
· There have been 21 NASCAR Sprint Cup races at Auto Club Speedway since the track opened in 1997.
· Four drivers have competed in all 21 races: Jeff Burton, Jeff Gordon, Bobby Labonte and Joe Nemechek.
· Joe Nemechek won the pole for the inaugural race in 1997.
· There have been 14 different pole winners, led by Kurt Busch (three). Brian Vickers, Jamie McMurray and Jeff Gordon each have two poles.
· Thirteen different drivers have posted victories. Jimmie Johnson leads all drivers with five wins. Jeff Gordon and Matt Kenseth each have won three races.
· Hendrick Motorsports has won nine races, more than any other team.
· Ten of the 21 races were won from starting positions outside the top 10; only one has been won from the pole (Jimmie Johnson in 2008). The most prolific starting position is third, with three victories.
· Matt Kenseth won the 2006 spring race from the 31st starting position, the deepest in the field that a race winner has started.
· Two active drivers have averaged a top-10 finish: Jimmie Johnson (5.3) and Carl Edwards (9.2).
· Kyle Busch won his first NASCAR Sprint Cup pole (2/05) and first race (9/05) at Auto Club Speedway.
· Jimmie Johnson won his first NASCAR Sprint Cup race at ASC on April 28, 2002.(NASCAR)(3-22-2011)
Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:16 pm
thanks MJ, hopefully these stats will help me on this coming weeks picks
Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:10 am
you should checkout the short track stats thread i have in this forum, i was truly surprised with the results.
Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:57 pm
You forgot to mention... this is also the first NASCAR race run... with radiation detectors... or is that deflectors? hee hee hee
Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:37 pm
smokieonefour wrote:You forgot to mention... this is also the first NASCAR race run... with radiation detectors... or is that deflectors? hee hee hee
Won't those upset the balance and aero performance of the car?!?
Send the engineers back to the drawing board...