Races, tracks, drivers and all the drama that comes along with it
Post a reply

Hamlin apologizes for Logano bump

Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:54 pm

#11- Denny Hamlin apologized on Friday for making two mistakes involving former Joe Gibbs Racing teammate #22-Joey Logano last weekend at Bristol Motor Speedway. The first mistake was bumping Logano too hard on lap 349 in retaliation for the way the Penske Racing driver raced him earlier. The bump sent Logano into a spin when he was battling Jeff Gordon for the lead and ruined any chance he had of contending for the victory. The second was for attacking Logano personally after a post-race shoving match between the crews that began when Logano approached Hamlin at his car. On the first mistake, Hamlin said he was trying to send Logano a message with a tap after Logano pinched down on him too hard earlier. "I felt bad, and really if you could watch my in-car camera you could see how frustrated I was to see he had damage to his car,'' Hamlin said before the first practice at Auto Club Speedway. "I banged the steering wheel because I was, 'Man, I didn't mean to do that.' '' Hamlin said that gave the impression he was trying to "bully'' Logano, which he was not. Then came what Hamlin called "the big mistake.''
"At the end of the race I shouldn't have degraded him as a driver,'' he said. "It's not my job to say who's good or bad in our sport. That part probably should have been left out.'' Hamlin and Logano haven't communicated since a battle of words on Twitter Sunday night. Logano indicated the issue that began at the Daytona 500 with Hamlin criticizing his driving wasn't over. "I feel like I've told him everything I can tell him,'' Logano told ESPN.com earlier in the week. "I've got nothing to say.'' Hamlin considers the issue over because they haven't talked.(ESPN)(3-22-2013)

Re: Hamlin apologizes for Logano bump

Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:36 pm

That was a mistake to apologize. He said right after that he didn't mean to wreck him just bump him out of the way. After that he should have dropped it. Whatever happened to rubbing is racing... Just cause Joey couldn't keep control of his car. There's not a driver out there that hasn't had the same thing happen to them on numerous occasions, especially at short tracks. Seriously, it's Bristol for crying out loud... JMO

Re: Hamlin apologizes for Logano bump

Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:48 am

*
Last edited by ndunn on Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Re: Hamlin apologizes for Logano bump

Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:53 am

drivers been knocking each other for years, i think a apology should have been issued by the 11 team for the pushing and shoving on joe by the 11 crew, joe did nothing wrong in going up and expressing his anger, but the 11 crew put their hands on him for no reason, denny was in no danger of bein hurt

Re: Hamlin apologizes for Logano bump

Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:58 pm

michaeljohn wrote:drivers been knocking each other for years, i think a apology should have been issued by the 11 team for the pushing and shoving on joe by the 11 crew, joe did nothing wrong in going up and expressing his anger, but the 11 crew put their hands on him for no reason, denny was in no danger of bein hurt

I would have removed the guy from my drivers window as well if I am a crew member. He could wait til Denny got out of the car. there is no way a crew member should allow that IMO.

Re: Hamlin apologizes for Logano bump

Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:42 pm

Is anyone else sick to death of the coverage of this? Really? Can anyone honestly think Joey is some kind of threat? If he's not getting respect on the track at this point in time, this is not the way to handle it. Yes, he may need to stick up for himself but to me this just makes him a laughing stock. And most of the announcers/reporters are egging him on. I don't know who looks more stupid... Well I do but need I say it? :lol:

Oooo, yeah, Denny is shaking in his boots with the twig in his rear view... As they say in Cali, whatever

Re: Hamlin apologizes for Logano bump

Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:45 pm

well im not backin off anythin i said, 11 tea was inappropriate, joey made no physical attempt at denny, now jelly belly stewart is mad cuz joe blocked him, need i bring up talladega??????

Re: Hamlin apologizes for Logano bump

Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:52 pm

Rochelle wrote:Is anyone else sick to death of the coverage of this?


I was sick of it, and thought it was pretty funny that Kyle, Joey and Denny were all chatting together before driver intros... the media just can't get enough of this stuff.

And now of course after what happened at the end of today's race... we'll be hearing PLENTY more.

Re: Hamlin apologizes for Logano bump

Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:39 pm

Beats the #### out of hearing about Danica! JS :lol:
Jelly Belly! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Re: Hamlin apologizes for Logano bump

Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:34 pm

michaeljohn wrote:now jelly belly stewart is mad cuz joe blocked him, need i bring up talladega??????


Go ahead, it's an apple and an orange. He blocked ONCE. It went bad, but it was one block on the last lap on a restrictor plate track. Logano blocked him from the start finish line all the way to turn one. He's lucky his little #### didn't get turned right there.

Re: Hamlin apologizes for Logano bump

Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:36 pm

michaeljohn wrote:well im not backin off anythin i said, 11 tea was inappropriate, joey made no physical attempt at denny, now jelly belly stewart is mad cuz joe blocked him, need i bring up talladega??????


Talladega however is plate racing, California is not. Big difference. Fact of the matter is Logano is not well liked by many. I would have been #### too. Also what fired up Stewart was Logano throwing a water bottle at him.

Re: Hamlin apologizes for Logano bump

Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:38 pm

I knew that bony piece of garbage would do something in the last laps. Not at all surprised. And after his comments following the race in regards to Hamlin - all the while Denny is on his back on a stretcher in an ambulance and then in a helicopter - cement his status as a piece of #### I have zero respect for. I doubt too many people in the garage do, look at Kasey Kahne's response to Stewart's interview. I have a hard time believing he was the only one.

Re: Hamlin apologizes for Logano bump

Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:41 pm

Smoke14TS wrote:I knew that bony piece of garbage would do something in the last laps. Not at all surprised. And after his comments following the race in regards to Hamlin - all the while Denny is on his back on a stretcher in an ambulance and then in a helicopter - cement his status as a piece of #### I have zero respect for. I doubt too many people in the garage do, look at Kasey Kahne's response to Stewart's interview. I have a hard time believing he was the only one.


I have never heard one driver comment positively about Joey boy. Hamlin should have never apologized. Do not know why he felt bad for stating the truth.

Re: Hamlin apologizes for Logano bump

Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:48 am

everyone knew what was going to happen and it did
Post a reply