Races, tracks, drivers and all the drama that comes along with it
Post a reply

Re: Wow what a wicked wreck!

Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:20 pm

Thanks for the larger pic H... Wow that is really nasty, I'm surprised there weren't even more people injured. I know it looked bad on TV, but wow, that is really terrible. They may have to do something with those gates, this isn't the first time this has happened.

Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:14 am

Horroble wreck may GOD BLESS ALL THAT WERE INJURED

Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:09 am

tonysgirl14 wrote:Horroble wreck may GOD BLESS ALL THAT WERE INJURED
Agreed.

Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:32 am

Please don't take this the wrong way...It was a good race considering the end. I'm getting slightly irritated with people on the news. I feel absolutely awful for those fans. It could have been any one of us yesterday. BUT as a grown adult I know the risks. I was at MIS in 1998 when those fans were killed at the Indy race. Going to races is a risk everyone of us takes. From dodging debris to dodging the drunk driving home, fans know the risks and recognize it for what it is. I'm getting irritated with people blaming NASCAR, blaming DIS, blame, blame...it happened, it sucked and I prayed for those critically hurt last night because again it could have been me! But, NASCAR will investigate and as always from tragedy, they will learn and improve. We would be stupid to ever think it will be 100% safe but they will make it better!!! Prayers to those injured!!! And the best to those at the 500 who watch and participate.

Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:55 am

Here's in stands video
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=4149638589311&set=vb.1534256289&type=2&theater

Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:18 pm

HiddenHollow wrote:Bigger photo:

People will probably complain, but DIS may want to consider moving fans back away from the catch fence. Take a look at what Chicagoland Speedway does:

I'm not saying Chicagoland Speedway would have had no injuries, but even with slower speeds, fans are moved back, away from the fence.

Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:55 am

I was at the race with my sister on Saturday and we were sitting in the first row behind the fence, between Turn 4 and the start/finish. The wreck started right in front of us, but all the mayhem was about 50 to 70 yards down the track.
We walked down there to see what we could see and finally got high enough to see the mess of mangled fencing. The engine and tire were still sitting on the ground right by the fence and another fan that had been sitting nearby when it happened pointed out the tire sitting on the seat about 9 rows up. He also said he saw some fans fainting after the accident. I don't know if some of those people were considered part of the injured crowd or not.
About 15 or 20 minutes after the wreck, all of the security people were yelling for everyone to leave and forcing everyone out of the seats to the track exits. They were even closing gates under the grandstand to keep the fans from backtracking.
I saw one fan being wheeled out on a strecher, but he didn't look too bad and was conscious.
That had to be the wildest finish to a race I've ever seen.
Post a reply