FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Patrick's #10 team using former #78 team crew

<<

Schmoopy1000

Post Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:17 pm

Patrick's #10 team using former #78 team crew

Frontstretches Mike Neff interviews Tony Gibson, crew chief for #10 Danica Patrick, Gibson was asked about the pit crew for the #10 team:
Neff: *One last question. Your pit crew this year that will be pitting Danica Patrick in the #10, is it your old crew from the #39, a whole new crew or a combination of old and new guys?
Gibson: "Actually, it is all guys that were working at Stewart-Haas last year that were pitting the #78 at the end of last year. That whole group of guys has moved over to the #10 team to pit Danica. The reason for that is that at least five of those guys work on the cars in the shop for our team. It makes more sense to take guys who work on the cars every day to be more connected to the cars when they get to the track. A lot of those guys I have worked with since the DEI days in the past. It pretty much just made sense to have those guys on the pit crew

from Jayski.

this is what I thought they would do for this season, before the season ended. But then I heard Ryan had a brand new crew & the 39 guys were going over to Danica. So is it untrue that Ryan got a new crew, or did they just get rid of the old 39 crew. Now I am confused. Maybe Danica said, #### no I dont want that slow A$S crew over here pitting for me :mrgreen:
ImageImageImage
<<

onerockindoc

Post Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:54 pm

Re: Patrick's #10 team using former #78 team crew

I thought I heard Borland say he was working with a whole new crew....bet that makes you happy Schmoopy
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement
<<

Schmoopy1000

Post Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:52 pm

onerockindoc wrote:I thought I heard Borland say he was working with a whole new crew....bet that makes you happy Schmoopy

I remember hearing something similar as well. Which makes me wonder what did they do with the 39 guys? (the old slow ones) hehe
or is the 39 crew just new to Borland?
ImageImageImage
<<

Rochelle

Post Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:15 pm

Well Danica has to be an improvement over the elf... And the Tuna doesn't get excited about anything but food...
"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe" - Friedrich Nietzsche
<<

NascarNanaOK

Post Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:08 pm

I always expected the #78 crew would become the third SHR team. It was my understanding that was why the #78 crew was created.

What I'm curious about this season is, will SHR create a fourth crew. A fourth crew would say to me that a lot of effort is being put into keep Ryan for 2014. If there is no new crew this year, then it adds to the possibility that Harvick will be the third and not the fourth team at SHR.

Its all supposition, but how I see the future. :)
14 to win in '14

He has Risen!

Nascar Nana OK
<<

Annalee

Post Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:39 pm

NascarNanaOK wrote:I always expected the #78 crew would become the third SHR team. It was my understanding that was why the #78 crew was created.

What I'm curious about this season is, will SHR create a fourth crew. A fourth crew would say to me that a lot of effort is being put into keep Ryan for 2014. If there is no new crew this year, then it adds to the possibility that Harvick will be the third and not the fourth team at SHR.

Its all supposition, but how I see the future. :)

I think this is the fourth team getting ready for Harvick.....I really think if Ryan does well and sponsorship stays with Ryan, they will stay at SHR......now I just have to convince Schmoopy..... :)

UPDATED FEB 1, 2013 7:29 PM ET     

Stewart-Haas Racing is developing a new test team.

Veteran crew chief David Hyder will oversee the project.

TRUE INNOVATION
How did NASCAR get from Hudson Hornet to Generation 6 cars? See the transition.
“I’m planning on taking the wheels off of my pit box for a while,” Hyder told FOXSports.com by phone on Friday. “With the new car coming this season, they’d been talking about putting a test team together. I’m not sure what all it will entail yet, but Zippy (Stewart-Haas Racing Director of Competition Greg Zipadelli) told me to plan on going to Daytona.”

In the advent of the Generation 6 car, NASCAR’s top organizations are doing whatever it takes to get up to speed quickly. Although SHR has a research and development group, the test team is the latest response to up the ante. Considering that SHR is expanding its two-car operation of Tony Stewart and Ryan Newman to add rookie Danica Patrick, the timing is perfect.

Hyder started working at SHR on Tuesday. He most recently guided Cale Conley in the NASCAR K&N Pro Series East but missed the competition at the Cup level. Hyder had previously worked as a crew chief for Wood Brothers Racing, Michael Waltrip Racing and Kevin Harvick Inc.

“Going to work for Tony Stewart and Gene Haas was an easy decision,” Hyder said. “I hope to make myself valuable enough to them that they’ll want me to stay for a long time.”

Before Hyder transitioned into a crew chief, the 45-year-old High Point, N.C. native drove to over 100 victories in Late Models across the Southeast.

Tagged: Tony Stewart

MORE STORIES FROM LEE SPENCER

"Fight for Four".......................me

I #Support Smoke
<<

NascarNanaOK

Post Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:10 pm

Annalee:
"I think this is the fourth team getting ready for Harvick.....I really think if Ryan does well and sponsorship stays with Ryan, they will stay at SHR......now I just have to convince Schmoopy..... :)

UPDATED FEB 1, 2013 7:29 PM ET

Stewart-Haas Racing is developing a new test team.

Veteran crew chief David Hyder will oversee the project..."

I read this article and didn't even connect it with the Ryan and Harvick situation. Good job, Annalee. I like the way you think!
14 to win in '14

He has Risen!

Nascar Nana OK
<<

HTower

Post Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:11 pm

can they take the screw ups from Tony's team and dump them somewhere else too? We watched time and time again where things went wrong in the pit box last year. You can't have that stuff happen if you want to win a Championship. EVERYTHING must go right.
<<

awsum14

Post Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:44 am

HTower wrote:
Everything must go right.

Sorry HT, but there is no such thing as a "Perfect World"
If at first you don't succeed, don't give up
Try Harder
<<

HTower

Post Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:20 am

awsum14 wrote:HTower wrote:
Everything must go right.

Sorry HT, but there is no such thing as a "Perfect World"

See the 2011 Chase by Tony Stewart as an example of everything having to go right.

5 wins, 8 out of 10 races in the top 10, and that one slip up at Dover nearly ruining all of it.

Return to NASCAR & Racing