FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

How would a few drivers change the Sprint Cup schedule:

<<

michaeljohn

Post Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:45 pm

How would a few drivers change the Sprint Cup schedule:

#31-Ryan Newman, #41-Kyle Busch met with members of the media at Indianapolis Motor Speedway and discussed what changes they would make to the 2015 schedule. The transcripts in part:
NEWMAN: "If I was NASCAR, how would I change the schedule? My answer to that would be not giving any -- not being partial to any ISC or SMI tracks. I'd turn some of those tracks into Wednesday night races, and the other ones would be Saturday night or sometime Sunday afternoon when it made sense. I'd give us a little bit more off weekends. We can still run 36 or 38 races but we don't need to be at the racetrack, especially for the Daytona and Talladega for three, sometimes four days with the inspection process. So I think just realigning it and giving us the opportunity to be on TV and be our own special event on Wednesday night, especially in football season, would be good for our sport."
"Wednesday night shows and how would I foresee doing that? I think it all depends what that day is like. I mean, obviously, if you go to a place like Pocono and it rains three-quarters of that day, it changes everything and you have obviously Thursday to work with. But I think situations like that, you'd have the crew guys come in on a Tuesday evening, Tuesday afternoon, let the -- tech the cars and whatever window it is, let the guys go back and have a decent dinner with their team, and then come and start practice the next morning, practice, qualifying and race. You've got people in the grandstands for an entire day of activities and they can sell hotdogs and all the other things that way. I'm no businessman, but I know from our scheduling standpoint that there's a lot of credibility to having some weekday races, especially when you consider who we're up against in the football season."(Team Chevy)
BUSCH: "Oh, my. Could I be president for the day and then decide what we're going to do? Wow, there's so many opportunities. I think the first one should be the final race should be bid on like a committee such as the Super Bowl. There's a committee that goes around and it gets filled in with who does the best job with their community to present themselves as the frontrunner to have the Super Bowl. Why not do that with our final stock car race? You know, The Chase, I think Chicago is a great place to start it off. Those Chase races are valuable. And could we mix it up and change some of the races that are in The Chase and not in The Chase? One unique thing is maybe we should take Talladega out of The Chase, put Richmond in The Chase and use Talladega as the cutoff to get into The Chase? Why not? Because we're all driving around, they're very tentative and trying not to get in a wreck at Talladega. But why not make it the final race to get in and throw a huge wild card in to try to make it into The Chase. Because by then you have 15 guys that are pretty much locked in. That means those top 15 guys are going to throw it on the line to try to win. They're not going to be riding in the back to protect their points. To change the schedule, I would change Richmond and Talladega, and it works because NASCAR owns both those tracks."(Team Chevy)
JOHNSON: "I've always felt like we could use an off weekend before The Chase starts just to leave us an opportunity to have a make-up race. I know it's a pretty severe event if it would take place. And the last unfortunate situation that was created was 9/11, but I think that was good to give the teams a break and give everybody a break that deep in the season before The Chase starts. Ultimately, you know, I buy into the philosophy that we have a bit of oversaturation with race distances and how often we compete. I think we could trim that stuff down. I don't know where I would go to first, but I think adopting a little bit of less is more would be beneficial.(Team Chevy)(7-26-2014)
<<

Rochelle

Post Sat Jul 26, 2014 4:24 pm

Re: How would a few drivers change the Sprint Cup schedule:

Interesting, but somewhat impractical for Wednesdays. A lot of fans travel to the races and I think that would put too much of a burden on them. Wouldn't break my heart to see Dega out of the chase races, but put a road course in there instead of Richmond. I'd like to see them ask a few more drivers to see what they'd say...
"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe" - Friedrich Nietzsche
<<

hboyle

Post Sat Jul 26, 2014 4:49 pm

I really like the idea of changing up which tracks are in the Chase. I was saying that when the new Chase format came out because if they keep the same tracks, it tends to favor certain drivers, especially the last race - they should at least change the final race every year.
<<

bowtie_4

Post Sat Jul 26, 2014 5:49 pm

hboyle wrote:I really like the idea of changing up which tracks are in the Chase. I was saying that when the new Chase format came out because if they keep the same tracks, it tends to favor certain drivers, especially the last race - they should at least change the final race every year.

Yep! I feel the same way. I don't see Nascar pulling their tracks (owned by Nascar), but diff. tracks would be cool. Repititiveness breeds boredom, put Bristol In , add a roadcourse, etc.
They could change each year or every few years. I just think we would have some diff. players, awesome racing!
These views are none others but mine.
<<

14Smokem

Post Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:00 pm

Picking from some of the above ideas.
I like the idea of changing the Final race.

AND.... Really like dropping Talladega from the Chase.
The points made on that were well placed.
A Road Course in the Chase would also be welcomed.

Somewhere, I thought it was Newman who suggested all
the Chase Races should be short tracks.......

That would ramp up the excitement level a ton.
1994 USAC Midget Champion ** 1995 USAC Midget Champion ** 1995 USAC Sprint Car Champion ** 1995 USAC Silver Crown Champion
1997 Indy Car Champion ** 2006 IROC Champion ** 2002 NASCAR Champion ** 2005 NASCAR Champion ** 2011 NASCAR Champion
<<

jwheels14

Post Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:52 pm

I think Nascar should look at recent attendance at the tracks with two dates and really look at which ones they could drop. Then maybe look at other tracks around the country (Eldora, Iowa, Milwaukee, Road Atlanta etc.)There has to be other tracks out there that could host a cup race, with attendance looking so thin on TV they don't need tracks that can hold over 120,000 anymore (maybe 70,000 now).
Maybe cut the number of races down to 22 or 24 before the chase, but still have 10 in the chase, the rotating last race would be cool but I think that late in November it kind of limits where you could race. I think they could really shake things a lot and that might help attendance and maybe TV ratings. I think the Wednesday thing would only be good for the race teams and not the fans going to the race, might help the TV ratings though. Friday night might be better then Wednesday for the fans at the race but not for the teams, should be better for TV.
The only thing that will truly help the attendance at the races is totally out of Nascar's control and that is the prices of hotels, airfares, food, camping etc. If the price gougers out there would make things more reasonable they might just get more people at the track and make more money. I know that's just a pipe dream.
<<

michaeljohn

Post Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:12 pm

Rochelle wrote:Interesting, but somewhat impractical for Wednesdays. A lot of fans travel to the races and I think that would put too much of a burden on them. Wouldn't break my heart to see Dega out of the chase races, but put a road course in there instead of Richmond. I'd like to see them ask a few more drivers to see what they'd say...

they want my input not your :D
<<

TishR

Post Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:54 pm

Nothing wrong with a Wednesday night race. They need more races on short tracks those are always the best races. Leave the 10 races for the chase open until 4 weeks before the chase field is set. Make it different every year and get rid of some of the 1.5 mile races in the chase and add short tracks and a road course. Also get rid of duplicate races at some of the tracks and add new ones. There are plenty around and it would probably give more people a chance to attend because it might just be closer to home.
Tish
<<

Anyone But Earnhardt

Post Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:54 pm

Road Courses GONE!!!!!

Bring back North Wilksborough and Give Darlington's race back. Put Richmond in the chase and make Talladega the last race in as a wild card. Per KB

IMO Chicago land is the most boring race of the year. Gone! Run another short track. Didn't Dover of Rockingham lose a race. Give that one back to whom ever.
<<

wolfgang

Post Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:34 pm

Watching the Truck race wed. I say go back to Dirt and say goodbye to all asphalt and concrete tracks! :mrgreen:
<<

jdpirate

Post Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:48 pm

Anyone But Earnhardt wrote:Road Courses GONE!!!!!

Bring back North Wilksborough and Give Darlington's race back. Put Richmond in the chase and make Talladega the last race in as a wild card. Per KB

IMO Chicago land is the most boring race of the year. Gone! Run another short track. Didn't Dover of Rockingham lose a race. Give that one back to whom ever.

Unfortunately, I heard that North Wilkesboro is in a sad state--would need LOTS of work before they could even think of having a race there (was listening to Sirius one day when Chocolate and Dave Moody were talking about it).

Rockingham's last a race was February,2004 (up til then they had 2 races per year). Starting in 2005, Rockingham was completely off the schedule.

Dover has never lost a race.... they have had 2 races per season since 1971.

I would love to see a road course race in the chase.
I'm living my life the way I want to.... Tony Stewart
[]Never Quit...... Marcus Luttrell
<<

wolfgang

Post Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:56 pm

jdpirate wrote:
Anyone But Earnhardt wrote:Road Courses GONE!!!!!

Unfortunately, I heard that North Wilkesboro is in a sad state--would need LOTS of work before they could even think of having a race there (was listening to Sirius one day when Chocolate and Dave Moody were talking about it).

Rockingham's last a race was February,2004 (up til then they had 2 races per year). Starting in 2005, Rockingham was completely off the schedule.

Dover has never lost a race.... they have had 2 races per season since 1971.

I would love to see a road course race in the chase.

I agree with the road course-too many dam intermediate tracks as it is! Wilkesboro has been let go for so long it would probly have to be completely redone, but I love that track and still miss it. The Rock I can take it or leave it, they still race there in the lesser divisions again.
<<

Schmoopy1000

Post Sun Jul 27, 2014 1:14 am

I say get rid of the Chase for the Chumpionship altogether. 8-)
ImageImageImage
<<

beaverpond

Post Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:45 am

I have been reading here and other forums and on social media about how some people think we should keep certain tracks and the number of races they have and possibly give them more because of their history and the memories they have created...what happened in the past is not working presently, if it did we would not be seeing so many empty seats today. Granted, Nascar of today is not what it used to be...we need to look forward and some have suggested more advertising I don't think this is the answer. However, spreading into parts of the country where we are not may not be a bad idea...places like the northwest for one. Maybe only visiting tracks once per season is another idea, but visit tracks when it is their good weather season and not their cold wet weather season. Yes, this means doing away with the chase. This makes sense to me.
Image Image

The Nascar Sprint Cup Champion For 2014 Is...

Return to NASCAR & Racing