FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

BOO HOO HOO Joey

<<

midwesternsmoke

Post Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:30 am

BOO HOO HOO Joey

Logano not happy with Shepherd's driving: #22-Joey Logano was involved in an accident on lap 211 when he made contact with #33-Morgan Shepherd at New Hampshire Motor Speedway, his comment: "I got taken out by the slowest car out there. You would think there would be some courtesy to the leaders. We were in second place. He gets out of the way on the straightaway and then goes into the corner and slides right up into the lane I was in. Whatever. I don't know. We will fix it and go at it again. Daytona is Daytona and everyone else crashed but this week - we were doing a good job after having a left rear flat in practice and we were running second with our backup car. I can't get too mad at ourselves over this. It is just dumb that it happened. I feel like that should be stuff that shouldn't happen at this level of racing."(Ford Racing)(7-14-2014)................

On the flipside.......NASCAR has no problem with Morgan Shepherd: NASCAR vice president of competition defended Shepherd saying the veteran "met all of the requirements" established by the sanctioning body. He qualified the situation by calling it "an accident, that could have happened to anybody" and maintained that the #33 Chevy had no issue dropping "to the minimum speed" required at Loudon, "so there wasn't any issue with that."
"Morgan Shepherd has always been approved," Pemberton said. "He's been approved for decades. Under our situation here, you take a physical at the beginning of the year, you pass your physical, you pass inspection with your car, you qualify for the race and you run the event. He met everything he needed to meet."(Motorsport)(7-14-2014)
Unless you've experienced the Unconditional Love and Loyalty of a good dog, you have yet to live.
"GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS,ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS"[/[color=#FF4000]
color]
<<

ndunn

Post Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:05 am

Re: BOO HOO HOO Joey

I'm glad to see where NASCAR stated the rules which approved Morgan Shepard could race as well Mr. Lagono. He may have felt Morgan was too old to race but it isn't up to him. Someday that young guy (if he is lucky) will be a senior citizen and wouldn't want to be treated in the public like he did Morgan. Joey had a right to be angry but hasn't he done a thing or two to other racers? The best thing about the whole thing is Morgan finished 1 place higher that Logono.
Last edited by ndunn on Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Military Thanks You For Standing Behind Them. If You Can't Do that You Can Always Stand In Front Of Them.....Think About It.....

Thank you to those who took a step forward to save the rest who stand still.
<<

Searchers

Post Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:47 am

Logano is still pretty immature and gets his mouth in gear way too fast.

His Boss The Captain backed Shepherd over Logano .

Winning car owner - and Logano's boss - Roger Penske backed Shepherd as well. The Captain referred to Shepherd "a good friend of everybody in the garage area" and asserted there was no malicious intent involved with the incident.

I imagine Penske would have preferred Logano to have more class.
<<

michaeljohn

Post Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:38 pm

frankly i enjoyed his comments, it does get old having cars out there just to collect money and arent competitive.
<<

14Smokem

Post Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:44 pm

michaeljohn wrote:frankly i enjoyed his comments, it does get old having cars out there just to collect money and arent competitive.

It happens all the time. The heat of the moment causes these kinds of statements.
Although I am NOT a Logano supporter, I understand his "moment".

Morgan is, and has been, one of the best all around good guys in the field.

Remember though.... ALL of these drivers do this from time to time.
They come out many laps down, barely maintaining minimum speed,
to improve their finish for points.
1994 USAC Midget Champion ** 1995 USAC Midget Champion ** 1995 USAC Sprint Car Champion ** 1995 USAC Silver Crown Champion
1997 Indy Car Champion ** 2006 IROC Champion ** 2002 NASCAR Champion ** 2005 NASCAR Champion ** 2011 NASCAR Champion
<<

Rochelle

Post Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:19 am

Here's my 2 cents... He only "qualified" because there were only 43 cars entered and he qualified 43rd. I don't have anything against Morgan but I would have been ticked too. Not that I'm a Joey fan either. And I didn't see it as Roger backing Morgan over Joey. Besides, it's the press making a big deal over this, Joey said he was the slowest car and I don't remember hearing him say anything about his age. If he did, I missed it. Also, most of the time the cars that were wrecked and come back out on the track are trying to make up spots for points.

Sorry but I'm playing devil's advocate here... We all know there'd be a big old stink if he'd have wrecked Tony running 2nd... Just sayin'

Pretty much the only thing that will keep him off the track is a field of 44 cars qualifying...
"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe" - Friedrich Nietzsche
<<

michaeljohn

Post Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:44 am

Rochelle wrote:Here's my 2 cents... He only "qualified" because there were only 43 cars entered and he qualified 43rd. I don't have anything against Morgan but I would have been ticked too. Not that I'm a Joey fan either. And I didn't see it as Roger backing Morgan over Joey. Besides, it's the press making a big deal over this, Joey said he was the slowest car and I don't remember hearing him say anything about his age. If he did, I missed it. Also, most of the time the cars that were wrecked and come back out on the track are trying to make up spots for points.

Sorry but I'm playing devil's advocate here... We all know there'd be a big old stink if he'd have wrecked Tony running 2nd... Just sayin'

Pretty much the only thing that will keep him off the track is a field of 44 cars qualifying...

ya pretty much covered it, he was asked in the tv interview if he would go to nascar, and he more less said "tell them what?" not those words exactly but close to it...
<<

Schmoopy1000

Post Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:17 am

not to long ago we only had 42 cars start a race.
You want more competitive cars on the track, spread the wealth.
Until then we will always have underfunded slow #### cars on the track.
on a side note. When a damaged car of a higher end team, is running several laps down slow as ####, none of these top team drivers mind that.

However if this happened to Ryan. As a fan I would be pi$$ed, but if you were objective, in racing $h!t happens. So in this case I smile because it couldn't have happened to a better guy :mrgreen:

I don't agree with nascar very often these days, but in this case, Morgan fit all the criteria to be allowed to race.

Also thought it was pretty cool with what Roger said in an article I read. he obviously didn't agree with Joey's comments.
ImageImageImage
<<

michaeljohn

Post Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:58 am

well i never been big on cars just bein there to fit the 43 car field requirement, it cheapens the sport, i cant see how someone just wants to ride around out there knowing the only way they pass cars is if someone drops out, but thats our nascar today, doesnt matter how good you are, if it makes for a good story, people let ya slide...
<<

Jellikit

Post Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:04 pm

If Morgan didn't qualify, some other team would have. They want 43 cars in there, and there is.
Joey did come across pretty whiney, as most drivers would at that point.

But, he didn't need to say "I was taken out by the slowest car on the track" 3 separate times though, in the span of about 1 minute. It gets to the point when you repeat something so much, that it cheapens it's meaning.

The reason he wouldn't say anything to nascar afterwards is that there's nothing to say. Accidents happen. It's not like he was targeted by "the slowest car on the track."

If was really pizzed, he wouldn't have been smiling so much. He knows he took the bad end of a bad deal and was just belly-aching. He does that.
<<

wolfgang

Post Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:47 pm

Well, I guess if Captian Morgan couldn't get noticed any other way aside roller skating-he got some now he hasn't seen in years. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Don't see much of a difference between him or Derrick Cope running in the NW series.
Practice and seat time does a lot for a driver, but sooner or later you have to give it up if you aren't competitive or have a snow ball chance in he!! of doing any better. The drivers side of things, I guess if you love what you're doing and are able, who would I be to tell them no.
Multi-car teams is what killed it for most teams or the sport itself, fault or not-Morgan has just a right as anyone else who is able and can qualify. Morgans stats aren't all impressive-but they are to a degree somewhat better than some of the other underfunded teams with younger drivers. ;)
<<

michaeljohn

Post Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:52 am

wolfgang wrote:Well, I guess if Captian Morgan couldn't get noticed any other way aside roller skating-he got some now he hasn't seen in years. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Don't see much of a difference between him or Derrick Cope running in the NW series.
Practice and seat time does a lot for a driver, but sooner or later you have to give it up if you aren't competitive or have a snow ball chance in he!! of doing any better. The drivers side of things, I guess if you love what you're doing and are able, who would I be to tell them no.
Multi-car teams is what killed it for most teams or the sport itself, fault or not-Morgan has just a right as anyone else who is able and can qualify. Morgans stats aren't all impressive-but they are to a degree somewhat better than some of the other underfunded teams with younger drivers. ;)

i cant believe the 70 car is driven by cope, all he does is run in the back and its embarrassing, lets see Jo Long was in that car last year and maybe she didnt set the world on fire but she did a thousand times better then cope.... i guess the 70 team thought they get something if the hired cope and they did, a filler.....
<<

onerockindoc

Post Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:54 am

While the 70 car is underfunded I miss seeing Johanna Long in the series. I understand she did not have sponsorship. She's cute and young and I personally thought a company like lulu lemon would be a good fit but they probably aren't interested in the sport.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement
<<

Searchers

Post Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:58 am

SR used to call Cope, Derrick Dope.

I always wondered if he meant it was narcotics or lack of IQ.
<<

michaeljohn

Post Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:39 am

onerockindoc wrote:While the 70 car is underfunded I miss seeing Johanna Long in the series. I understand she did not have sponsorship. She's cute and young and I personally thought a company like lulu lemon would be a good fit but they probably aren't interested in the sport.

what is lulu lemon?
Next

Return to NASCAR & Racing