FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

NASCAR will let teams regulate lug nuts in 2015

<<

Searchers

Post Thu Dec 11, 2014 7:16 pm

NASCAR will let teams regulate lug nuts in 2015

Just read this on another board.

2015 should be an interesting year for many reasons. One of the main reasons will be rule changes coming to pit road. The one rule that stands out as a game changer will be the fact that NASCAR is letting teams regulate lug nuts during their stops. Basically, NASCAR won’t penalize or monitor missed lug nuts or lug nuts that get knocked off during a stop.

The new rule…or lack of rule, could be a huge gain for teams that want to gamble. Everyone knows that it doesn’t take all 5 nuts tight to keep a tire on. The tricky part is how many nuts does it take? There are stories floating around pit road of teams that have come into victory lane with 1,2 and 3 nuts on a wheel, and everyone is amazed. I think every situation is different and every situation could have a different outcome, but hitting only 3 or 4 nuts per side could speed up a stop and if teams are willing to gamble on that then it could pay off. In the past, teams had to make sure all 5 nuts were on the studs and if an official were to see a nut get knocked off they would hold the car until the nut was put back on. Changers were very aware of the rules and hit nuts with a speed they could control. Jack men were also aware of the rule and MOST would wait on the left side for all 5 to get hit. Now, all that changes.

The risk: there is always risk with reward and there is plenty of risks associated with taking this rule out. The first and most obvious risk is a loose wheel. Most changers are very concerned with the repercussions of a loose wheel and won’t risk it for a standard stop. I think this rule comes into play when your at a place that eats tires up and you get a caution with 10 laps to go and the whole field comes down to pit. This is when teams will gamble and may only hit 3-4 nuts and let it ride. With only a few laps left in the race, why not! That’s when this rule will become interesting. It should be mentioned that NASCAR will still penalize a team if a tire comes off the car during a run due to a loose wheel. You don’t see that very often but it has and does happen.

www.pittalks.com/2014/12/10/nascar-will ... s-in-2015/
<<

Rochelle

Post Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:09 am

Re: NASCAR will let teams regulate lug nuts in 2015

I just read that on the NASCAR website. Interesting...
"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe" - Friedrich Nietzsche
<<

midwesternsmoke

Post Fri Dec 12, 2014 6:56 am

Sooooo, maybe some teams will think to increase the size of the lug so it WILL take fewer lugnuts to keep the cars stable??....hmmmmmm
Unless you've experienced the Unconditional Love and Loyalty of a good dog, you have yet to live.
"GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS,ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS"[/[color=#FF4000]
color]
<<

TbayFinn

Post Fri Dec 12, 2014 12:33 pm

Well,they better make sure that those lugnuts are tight or there's a big penalty if the tire comes off.
It's considered a P3 which means $50K fine, 15 points and crew chief suspension.

http://mobile.sportingnews.com/article/ ... ugnut-rule
<<

Searchers

Post Sun Dec 14, 2014 1:53 pm

Again from the other message board.

The NASCAR Insiders
12/12/14

There was a meeting this week between NASCAR and the sport’s various pit crew coaches regarding the new pit road rules for 2015. The main story line we’ve seen emphasized this week is the fact that NASCAR is no longer going to enforce a lug nut rule. But that isn’t the only thing to come out of that meeting. There are other new rules and ways of enforcement that could have much more drastic impacts on races.

Before I jump into those other areas, let me first talk briefly about the lugnut situation. In the past, the NASCAR rule said lugnuts had to be “installed” to be legal. What exactly the interpretation of “installed” is, was up to the officials. As long as a lugnut was on the stud, most officials would usually let that ride. Only lugnuts that were on the ground were called. So this notion that every tire changer is only going to try and get three or four nuts tight now is a little over-exaggerated. This was happening before, and while you might see more chances taken with the new enforcement, it won’t be that drastic. You will see more loose wheels, but that is self-policing. Drivers will be forced back to pit road during these situations, and often under green.

Now, as for the rest of what was discussed. The big move for next season is the removal of more officials from pit road. Starting at Daytona, a new video system will monitor pit road, and penalties will be called from a central video-review location. That means far fewer “judgement” calls by officials. Cut and dry video evidence will rule. And the one area that nobody in the media has mentioned that will be affected the most is crews jumping from the wall early.

The rule for when crews can leave the wall goes like this: teams are allowed to be on the ground in their pit stall as soon as their car crosses the back line of the stall directly behind their own. You didn’t see this rule enforced all that often, because it had to be fairly blatant for an official to even notice it. Now, if a crew member is down even a split second early, the penalty will be called. Supposedly once NASCAR started testing this video system late in 2014, they were hundreds of “jumping early” penalties flagged by the system.

What this means, is that you could potentially see a lot of these penalties called early in the season until pit crews figure out what they can and can’t get away with. All coaches are emphasizing this point to their teams this offseason, but it will be an issue in 2015.

Another rule that will be more actively enforced with this video system is the drivers rolling through too many pit boxes before their own on entry. Drivers are only allowed to drive through three (I think) pit boxes before they enter their own. This was also a judgement call in the past, but this new video system will catch more of these in the future.

Other smaller points of emphasis for NASCAR included the elimination of helping your neighbor on pit road gather up his tires by being over the wall (i.e. the 27 &24 pit crews at Kansas). You would often see a member of another pit crew over the wall helping a team corral it’s tires. Now, if a crewman wants to help, they have to stay behind the wall. NASCAR is also going to pay closer attention to tire control by the pit crews. If tires aren’t in control of a crewman at least half way back to the wall, NASCAR will call a penalty. This rule isn’t new, but will be more actively enforced.

A lot of changes are coming to NASCAR for 2015, but these new pit road rules could be sneaky important to the outcomes next season. And even though the lugnut situation will be important, these other areas will be big as well.
<<

jdpirate

Post Sun Dec 14, 2014 5:50 pm

midwesternsmoke wrote:Sooooo, maybe some teams will think to increase the size of the lug so it WILL take fewer lugnuts to keep the cars stable??....hmmmmmm

From my understanding, it has been in the NASCAR rulebook (for years) that there has to be 5 studs on a wheel equaling 5 lug nuts, so not sure what the teams can do, though someone will most likely try something...
I'm Living my life the way I want to..... Tony Stewart
Never Quit..... Marcus Luttrell Lone Survivor
<<

NascarNanaOK

Post Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:42 pm

jdpirate wrote:
midwesternsmoke wrote:Sooooo, maybe some teams will think to increase the size of the lug so it WILL take fewer lugnuts to keep the cars stable??....hmmmmmm

From my understanding, it has been in the NASCAR rulebook (for years) that there has to be 5 studs on a wheel equaling 5 lug nuts, so not sure what the teams can do, though someone will most likely try something...

Did anyone mention Chad Knaus? Is there a pool on how many times next season CK is suspended?
14 to win in '14

He has Risen!

Nascar Nana OK
<<

BlackFlag

Post Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:13 pm

I guess this means Nascar must be laying off some of it's race officials?
My least favorite band in the history of music is called: Dale Earnhardt Jr. Jr.

Return to NASCAR & Racing