FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

NASCAR to Honor Fallen Service Members with Windshield Tribu

<<

michaeljohn

Post Mon May 18, 2015 5:31 pm

NASCAR to Honor Fallen Service Members with Windshield Tribu

When NASCAR drivers start their engines for Sunday's Coca-Cola 600 at Charlotte Motor Speedway, fans will see familiar names like "Harvick," "Kenseth" and "Almirola" replaced on car windshields with "SGT Mracek," "HM3 Layton" and "CPT Argel" - United States Armed Forces members who have fallen in service to their country. All 43 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series drivers will participate in "600 Miles of Remembrance" on Memorial Day Weekend to honor military service members and their families, and commemorate the launch of NASCAR: An American Salute, the industry's collective expression of reverence, respect and gratitude for those who have served and continue to defend our nation today. Fans can follow stories around the seven-week platform and share their personal expressions of thanks to the military using #NASCARSalutes on social media.
"The NASCAR community rallying to honor the U.S. Armed Forces, past and present, has long been part of our sport's heritage," said Brent Dewar, NASCAR chief operating officer. "As part of NASCAR: An American Salute, 600 Miles of Remembrance represents a special moment in time as we pay tribute to service members who have sacrificed dearly for our freedom."
Many of the service members whose names will be displayed on the race cars were chosen by the teams, and some have unique connections to the fallen. Private Dean Van Dyke, who was killed in the Vietnam War, was a relative of #16 Roush Fenway Racing driver Greg Biffle. Army First Lieutenant Daniel Hyde, killed during Operation Iraqi Freedom, served alongside Chris Clayton, tire changer on the #83 BK Racing team. Many of the families of the service members being recognized will be in attendance on Sunday, and will be introduced alongside the drivers during driver introductions. In addition, Charlotte Motor Speedway will host more than 6,000 active military members at the Coca-Cola 600 in honor of Memorial Day.
NASCAR: An American Salute will feature various on- and off-track activities from tracks, teams and partners that show appreciation and support for the troops, and will culminate Independence Day Weekend with the Coke Zero 400 at Daytona International Speedway. This weekend, NASCAR together with Honor and Remember, Inc., will display specially prepared Honor and Remember flags representing those who have died in service to our country from each of the 50 United States throughout the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series garage at Charlotte Motor Speedway. Throughout the campaign, NASCAR will host military families at each NASCAR Sprint Cup Series race as part of NASCAR Troops to the Track" Presented by Bank of America.
Toyota will also honor the names of fallen service members on its pace cars for the Coca-Cola 600 as part of 600 Miles of Remembrance. Later in the program, both Chevrolet and Ford will feature patriotic branding on the pace cars for races at Pocono and Michigan, respectively.

cool idea, hope they do it more....
I miss you Frehley........
<<

beaverpond

Post Mon May 18, 2015 9:36 pm

Re: NASCAR to Honor Fallen Service Members with Windshield T

http://www.nascar.com/en_us/news-media/ ... rance.html

Besides Pocono and Michigan, there are also plans for Daytona as well for the Coke Zero 400. There are also season long activities going on with different sponsors like Goodyear, M&Ms, 3M just to name a few to honor those in the military.

In Honor of my nephew serving our country out of Baumholder Army Base in Germany.
<<

michaeljohn

Post Tue May 19, 2015 7:38 am

just imagine the driver that wins the race and they make the race winner diecast, that will be awesome to have the soldiers name appearing on the diecast..
I miss you Frehley........
<<

beaverpond

Post Tue May 19, 2015 8:19 am

there would be four of them...Michigan, Charlotte, Daytona, and Pocono...what an honor that would be

In Honor of my nephew serving our country out of Baumholder Army Base in Germany.
<<

bowtie_4

Post Tue May 19, 2015 8:31 am

What a cool way for Smoke to start winning. If he could pull off all 4 wins! :-)
<<

jdpirate

Post Tue May 19, 2015 9:18 am

nice gesture to honor the fallen!
I'm Living my life the way I want to..... Tony Stewart
Never Quit..... Marcus Luttrell Lone Survivor
<<

debora

Post Wed May 20, 2015 7:20 am

Great way to honor the fallen and have it personalized to each team
No Expectations No Disappointments.....
<<

beaverpond

Post Wed May 20, 2015 1:13 pm

Marine Master SGT Aaron C. Torian.jpg
Marine Master SGT Aaron C. Torian.jpg (28.7 KiB) Viewed 120 times

Master Sgt. Torian was a highly-decorated Marine who died on Feb. 15, 2014 from injuries sustained during combat training operations in Helmand Province, Afghanistan as part of Operation Enduring Freedom. He was 36. The No. 14 team honored Master Sgt. Torian last year at Kentucky Speedway in Sparta, which is close to Master Sgt. Torian’s hometown of Paducah, Kentucky. In that race, the No. 14 Chevrolet carried a memorial decal that read “Always Beside You”.

<<

beaverpond

Post Wed May 20, 2015 3:27 pm

US AMRY Cpl Steven R Koch.jpg
US AMRY Cpl Steven R Koch.jpg (25.62 KiB) Viewed 117 times

Koch, a Milltown, New Jersey native, joined the Army in March 2006. He was assigned to the 82nd Airborne Division, based at Fort Bragg, North Carolina, and deployed with the 508th Infantry Regiment to Afghanistan in January 2007. As he neared the end of a 15-month tour of duty, the 23-year-old soldier died from wounds sustained during combat operations in the Sabari District of Afghanistan.

<<

beaverpond

Post Wed May 20, 2015 7:55 pm

US NAVY PO1 (SEAL) David M Tapper.jpg
US NAVY PO1 (SEAL) David M Tapper.jpg (28.53 KiB) Viewed 107 times

The No. 41 Haas Automation team of SHR is honoring U.S. Navy PO1 (SEAL) David M. Tapper of Atco, New Jersey, who died Aug. 20 in Afghanistan.

Tapper was fatally wounded while serving his third tour of duty in Afghanistan, when he and his SEAL brothers of SEAL TEAM 6 were ambushed from three directions near the Afghanistan-Pakistan border

<<

beaverpond

Post Thu May 21, 2015 8:41 am

US ARMY SGT Cory R Mracek.jpg
US ARMY SGT Cory R Mracek.jpg (28.32 KiB) Viewed 96 times

The No. 4 Budweiser/Jimmy John's team of Stewart-Haas Racing is honoring Army Sgt. Cory R. Mracek who died Jan. 27, 2004 in Iraq.

Sgt. Mracek, a native of Chadron, Nebraska, had a lifelong dream to become a paratrooper and, in November 2003, he realized his dream. He was sent in January 2004 with the 82nd Airborne to Iraq, where was killed by an improvised explosive device (IED). His nickname with the 82nd Airborne was Sgt. Morale Check. He loved to laugh, loved his country and was proud to serve. He left behind his parents Jim and Pat, and sisters Stacy and Heather.

<<

alenigma

Post Thu May 21, 2015 7:31 pm

Thank you, bp. I'm moved by your commentary. God Bless America! My pop retired at the Pentagon. I signed to the Navy, aced the ASVAB,and passed the NFQT. They wouldn't accept me because I had fouled-up a shoulder racing Motocross.
P.S.: My pop is still kicking so is Mom. I live with them to keep them from lifting and climbing ladders.
<<

beaverpond

Post Thu May 21, 2015 8:43 pm

I would love to take the credit, but got the information from the SHR Facebook Page.

I too tried to get into the military many many moons ago and aced the ASVAB as I was trying to get into the Coast Guard, but when I got to the physical they would not take anybody with epilepsy. Then a recruiter who was a friend of mine tried the Navy and no luck there, he also tried the Army and that was strike three. It had nothing to with my scores as I scored quite high, it was the epilepsy every time. It proved they had just reason because just after graduation from high school, I started having grand mal seizures uncontrollably for several months. That would have gotten me discharged during basic for sure.

<<

futura64

Post Fri May 22, 2015 10:03 pm

Being a fan of Danica's, curiosoty got the better of me, so I did a little web searching for Corporal Stephen R. Koch, the name of the fallen soldier to be displayed on Danica's windshield for this weekend's race.

Ironically, long, long ago, I too went through jump school at Ft. Benning, and spent time training at Ft. Bragg. Somewhat of a kindred spirit, I feel.

Have a look: http://thefallen.militarytimes.com/army ... ch/3409054

and here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUFUj6p6rIg
BudmaninTx

Return to NASCAR & Racing