Post Tue May 24, 2016 10:01 pm

Shirley Muldowney Diagnosed with Cancer

Three-time NHRA Top Fuel legend Shirley Muldowney has been diagnosed with lung cancer and will undergo surgery in Charlotte Wednesday morning to remove her right lung, where a Stage 2 tumor has grown. Renowned thoracic and cardiac surgeon Dr. Harold Howe will lead the team performing the five-hour long procedure.

"I urge everyone to keep up with their health and get chest x-rays as often as possible to make sure they are okay," the 75-year-old Muldowney said. "I'm a fighter, always have been, and I'm going to fight this as best I can with everything I got. Dr. Howe is the No. 1 guy in the business and he's as ready as I am to get this thing out of me.

"I'm ready for the pain to stop. It's been getting worse the last few weeks as they did biopsies and the pre-op stress tests to make sure I was strong enough to have the surgery. Everything is good, so we're getting it done.

"The fans have always been what's kept me going and I'm sure people will be concerned about me now. Well don't be; I'll be fine. There's still a lot of things left I want to do."

Earlier this year, Muldowney created Shirley's Kids, a charity that helps children in need in cities in which drag racing is part of the community. So far this year, the charity says four children have been given cash donations at races in Gainesville, Charlotte, Houston and Atlanta.

Because of her pending surgery and the doctor-recommended recovery and rehabilitation time, Muldowney's agent Rob Geiger announced that previously scheduled appearances at the NHRA national events in Englishtown, New Jersey, and Bristol, Tennessee, will be canceled. Depending on Muldowney's health moving forward, other appearance dates will be announced on ShirleysKids.org.
I miss you Frehley........