FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Simona de Silvestro to drive better equipment

<<

Schmoopy1000

Post Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:07 pm

Simona de Silvestro to drive better equipment

Simona de Silvestro may get a chance to find out what she can accomplish in a race car with better equipment.

KV Racing Technology said Tuesday it had signed the 24-year-old Swiss driver and will have a two-car operation with Tony Kanaan It will be the first time de Silvestro will have a teammate in IndyCar, where she has spent the last three seasons driving for single-car team HVM Racing.

"I think it's going to be great having Tony as a teammate," she said. "It's never easy to make a change like this, but I'm confident that it's the right move for me going forward."

She will drive the No. 78 next season with sponsorship from the Nuclear Clean Air Energy campaign, and got her first laps in the car Monday during a test at Barber Motorsports Park in Alabama.

Her move to KV Racing gives de Silvestro a Chevrolet engine next season after she labored through 2012 with an underpowered Lotus driving for Keith Wiggins at HVM. The engine situation handcuffed the team all season, and de Silvestro only completed 45 percent of the laps.

"I do want to thank Keith and HVM Racing for helping me gain a ton of experience these last three years," she said. "Even though we struggled last year with our engine, I learned a lot. Now it's time to move on and look forward to next season."

KV Racing also announced that Imran Safiulla had joined as a team principal. Safiulla has supported de Silvestro's racing since 2006, and joins an ownership group that includes Kevin Kalkhoven and former champion Jimmy Vasser.

"We are delighted to announce Simona to KV," said Vasser. "She has shown a lot of determination and to now be able to work with someone as experienced as Kanaan will be a huge asset for her."

KV expects to test with de Silvestro at Texas and Sebring before the end of the year.

The team is trying to rebound from a disappointing 2012 in which it failed to live up to expectations after signing former Formula One star Rubens Barrichello during the offseason.

Kanaan had three podium finishes all season, although one was a third-place finish in the Indianapolis 500, and Barrichello had a season-high finish of fourth at Sonoma. Neither Barrichello or E.J. Viso are returning to the team next season, and there had been speculation that KV Racing would be a one-car organization in 2013.
from ESPN.com
Not sure I know anything about KV equipment, but I figure if TK is willing to drive it. It has to be decent. Doesnt sound like it is a super team by no means (like Penske or Ganassi) but no matter what has to be better than what she was driving last year.
Congrats Simona!
ImageImageImage
<<

racer1

Post Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:07 pm

Re: Simona de Silvestro to drive better equipment

Ok--I'll bite--but I thought some here were complaining about things not nascar or SHR didnt belong here--but i dont care.

KV is better then HVM, as for sure the chevy engine is certainly a good change for her, but TK hasnt won in yrs with that equip and this yr hasnt been a good yr for him either so i wouldnt be jumping up & down if your a fan of hers. She has shown skills on the twistys but she isnt good on Ovals, course there arent that many anymore, course with the current state of Indycar who knows what the future holds?

I have to say it--- the non fans of Danica, cant wait untill some other female beats her meager records and stats showing they are a real driver--right?? Thats been going on now for yrs and hasnt happened yet or even close. What Danica has achieved besting most all of the records, achievements/stats etc of the other females in auto racing since females were finally allowed to compete, only show us how tough it is or has been for females in auto racing, Guthie, St James etc..

Simona was the one who was going to out perform Danica and in her first rookie yr she was fast on the twisties yet did nothing to beat what Danica had done even on those, as Danica won a pole and got a a podium, top 10's etc on those even not her best tracks. Simona got some top 10's and all of a sudden Yahhh, shes going to be better then Danica--NOT hardly--as a few good finishes now & then dont mean squat, as total stats etc moreso show what a driver has done. Bottom line to be truthfull, most naysayers think what Danica has done is S0-0-0 easy to do and its NOT as they are females in a male dominated world of auto racing. Simona and all the other females regardless of equip or low funded teams, there is always excuses and always will be Iam sure, but next yr will be HER yr to show her talent if she can, as no more excuses?

Someday sooner or later a female will come along and will better what Danica has achieved but she has lots of achievements, "setting the bar" so to speak for females, so it wont be easy. There is an old addage "no matter how good you are, there is always someone better"--very true.
Lots of young females coming up into various auto racing series who will be fun to watch for sure and should be great.

One point most overlook--regardless of who or when another female bests what Danica has achieved one thing for sure, they will most likely never equall her mainstream popularity factor as there has never been anyone like Danica in that regard, and iam not the only one saying that. 8-)
<<

michaeljohn

Post Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:18 pm

this is what is called "THE NASCAR & RACING THREAD." which means anything motorsport can be posted, i didnt even bother to finish reading what ya wrote til you brought up danica, believe it or not everything revolves around her, the people who may not be fans of danica's dont sit around hoping someone else comes along, race fans wanna see any woman do good, even if it is danica, someday the hype machine will die down on her and her talent will have to get her through a season of nascar, but as long as she has fans like you making up excuses on why she hasnt succeeded in nascar, she will go on forever, and to get a jump on next year, dont get all excited if she wins the ROTY, its not that glamorous of an achievement, last few years start and park drivers have won it.
<<

Rochelle

Post Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:43 pm

I saw a piece on the rookie of the year thing, I think it was last week. They were saying there needs to be changes cause it's become a joke lately. Their idea was to set achievements that have to be met. I like that idea as it would make it mean something again. The way it is now, it tarnishes the records of the drivers who had to earn it. Just my opinion...
"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe" - Friedrich Nietzsche
<<

midwesternsmoke

Post Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:33 pm

News flash.....ROTY next year will be Ricky Stenhouse Jr. DP can't even come close. Trudat!! 8-)
Unless you've experienced the Unconditional Love and Loyalty of a good dog, you have yet to live.
"GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS,ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS"[/[color=#FF4000]
color]
<<

michaeljohn

Post Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:38 pm

i forgot about ricky, keep forgetting he has a full time ride..
<<

racer1

Post Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:08 pm

"---til you brought up danica, believe it or not everything revolves around her, the people who may not be fans of danica's dont sit around hoping someone else comes along--"

You bet they do-- for some of the Danica naysayers hoping some female will out perform her but none have--so far--although the future is uncertain as all things eventually change..

" race fans wanna see any woman do good, even if it is Danica, someday the hype machine will die down on her and her talent will have to get her through a season of nascar"

The Hype maching has been going on for over 10 yrs because she is worth the hype far as an attention getter for her sponsors and the ONLY attention getter when in Indycar and now one of the attention getters as Nascar has several where Indycar did NOT other then her--and still doesnt..

" as long as she has fans like you making up excuses on why she hasnt succeeded in nascar---"

What excuses is that, as iam as critical of her own mistakes as anyone and when I do complain about her lousy setup or pit road mistakes, whats so different from some of you here complainning all the time about Ryans CC and team making mistakes---so give it a rest with your double standard.

I mention Danica regarding other female drivers as she IS the driver that every female driver is and will be compared to including Simona just like Johanna Long and others. They have all tried and failed to achieve anything note worthy other then maybe a good qualifying run or a top 10 finish now & then, that some rant and rave about them beating Danica, but that wont get them change for a nickel far as mainstream attention. Someday a female driver will come along hopefully and set new records etc but untill that time, the focus is on Danica and thats alot of pressure for her to handle-- but so far--so good. Its not easy being a female driver in auto racing as good results for them are tough to achieve but good luck to them all.

Also there were threads about Indycar that someone posted or questioned "did not belong"--so get your head out of your you no what and quit harping on everything I say. This is a Nascar site as said and in case you arent aware that doesnt mean Indycar as the two are very different series, but like I said I dont care either way. If I had posted that Indycar news you'd be all over me for it so give it a rest?? Most of you have double or triple standards around here and you know what you can do with that?? :roll:
<<

Schmoopy1000

Post Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:40 am

not sure how this became a Danica focused thread, or a Danica hating thread or a danica anything thread. So I am just gonna ignore all the danica talk on here.
Racer1 you say KV isnt that great of equipment, & not to jump up & down for her.
That may be true, but for quite awhile now I have hoping Simona got in better equipment to see what she can do. Not to claim she is gonna be great, or the best female driver or make the best female records or anything like that. So even from your own admission this is better equipment than where she was. So dont go treading on us that are happy to see this. You get so bitter & defensive over your favorite female motorsports driver, you try to pick fights & drag her into conversation where no one was even thinking of her. I havent heard to many open wheel fans talk bad about TK (know many that really like him actually) & you went on to bash him for some reason, again unprovoked. Thats fine he hasnt won in that equipment, & Simona may not either, but no matter how you slice it, a step up in equipment is a step in the right direction for her career. I know if we arent praising Danica we dont have a right to be a fan of any other Female drivers, but you really will have to get used to it.
Plenty of Danica fans on her posting everything that goes on with Danica. Not so many threads about the other female drivers. Yet you seem to get offended if we share anything about the other women in motorsports. Is there a rule if your a Danica fan you cant like any other women drivers?
(the cope sister are understandable to not like in the sport) :mrgreen:
If so thats fine too, but there are plenty of race fans that are allowed to hope for other females to do well in motorsports. Not just Danica. They are not even racing in the same discipline of cars & you get your panties in a bunch.

Being Happy to see Simona heading in the right direction, doesnt mean we are hating on Danica. In fact if Danica ever does well in the cup series, I will be happy for here too.

BTW I am jumping up & down in joy for Simona getting a better ride! :mrgreen: Image :mrgreen:
Loosen up brother.
ImageImageImage
<<

michaeljohn

Post Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:13 am

when i started to read the danica fan posting that is how i took it as he was getting all worked up or this was a started of a danica hate thread, i think he feels intimidated when other women drivers are brought up such as Simona or the very talented Jo Long. I commend Simona for driving the arca series and leaving her ego at the door, so what she may not have the hype as danica, hype means nothing, because eventually your graded on talent, and i can guarantee that after her 2 year sponsorship with SHR, danica will NEVER have a top ten, unless its a fuel millage race. All we are gonna hear next year is how HMS is sabotaging danica from doing well, just like JRM has sabotaged her in the NW series. now i made my response about danica, and i can take the heat for the things i said, because danica fans never have a comeback except to blame everyone but her, or im just a hater, i dont like tony stewart, but i give the man compliments on what he has done in the sport, so that whole hater thing is a bunch of gibberish.
<<

Rochelle

Post Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:50 am

Wow, why does every female driver conversation end up being about freakin Danica? F freakin Danica, post on her thread and leave us that don't want to hear about her in peace on a non Danica thread.

To me, being a woman, the fact that some rabid male fan felt the need to defend me would make me puke. If she's all you think she's cracked up to be, let her fend for herself like any other woman. Join the 21st century and leave your "gotta defend the little woman" attitude at home. Let her stats speak for her and quit alienating those that might have supported her but for your fanaticism. Quit the comparisons. Unless each female driver was brought up in the same exact way, there are going to be differences, strengths and weaknesses just like the male drivers. I don't hear this same crap when it comes to the men.

I do so hope that she does poorly for the next 2 years so they can delete the Danica thread and give us that don't give a rat's butt about her some peace. Do you see what your ranting has achieved? I surely hope this is what you wanted to happen cause that is what you're left with.

Now you've got your wish, you can officially call me a hater. And please, when you look in the mirror, say thank you.

Oh yeah, don't forget to tell Tony about this when he's got nothing better to do than listen to another whiner, or is that wiener?
"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe" - Friedrich Nietzsche
<<

michaeljohn

Post Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:37 am

the thing i dont get, is why is danica untouchable from scrutiny? However we can pass judgement on any driver, such as tony, ryan, gordon, johnson or even the busch brothers.....

sorry Sch for bringing this into your thread, but it is something we have to deal with when any woman driver is brought up. i dont post in the danica thread no more, because that is for the danica fans and they should have it, even tho things get ugly if someone mentions her driving skills or if another woman is brought up for comparison.
<<

racer1

Post Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:35 pm

One main fact here--NONE of you responded to this thread UNTILL I did. Some of you here just love to post crap regarding turning anything I say into something you can rant about. Those of you and you know who you are, have shown your negative attitude towards Danica since the beginning being signed to SHR, so you arent fooling anyone--give it a rest.

This is a Simona thread and I just brought up Danica as facts that some in Indycar were all saying she was the driver who would show Danica up---Yeh right---as there are those who do just that with any other female driver in the same series. However--- Good luck to Simona and hope she does well as Iam not a fan of her now teammate TK, who couldnt stand it when Danica outperformed HIM as she did often. He used to whine to M Andretti alot that she wouldnt move over or fought him tough and wouldnt or didnt let him pass her ( made me laugh at him) so Simona doing well beating TK-- I will Love it, so I do wish her well. :roll:
<<

Schmoopy1000

Post Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:32 pm

racer1 wrote:One main fact here--NONE of you responded to this thread UNTILL I did. Some of you here just love to post crap regarding turning anything I say into something you can rant about. Those of you and you know who you are, have shown your negative attitude towards Danica since the beginning being signed to SHR, so you arent fooling anyone--give it a rest.

This is a Simona thread and I just brought up Danica as facts that some in Indycar were all saying she was the driver who would show Danica up---Yeh right---as there are those who do just that with any other female driver in the same series. However--- Good luck to Simona and hope she does well as Iam not a fan of her now teammate TK, who couldnt stand it when Danica outperformed HIM as she did often. He used to whine to M Andretti alot that she wouldnt move over or fought him tough and wouldnt or didnt let him pass her ( made me laugh at him) so Simona doing well beating TK-- I will Love it, so I do wish her well. :roll:

well my response in this thread was directly to you, so it makes sense i didnt post anything (except the OP) until you posted.
Atleast this explains to me why you went after TK. That was about your dislike for him & not a simona thing.
About the yeah right comment. Who knows. if they were on the same caliber team what might have happened. Image
My understanding listening to those that talk about Indy cars. Danica had the better potential at Oval tracks, & Simona had better potential at the RC's. think it could have interesting.
ImageImageImage
<<

Schmoopy1000

Post Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:36 pm

michaeljohn wrote:the thing i dont get, is why is danica untouchable from scrutiny? However we can pass judgement on any driver, such as tony, ryan, gordon, johnson or even the busch brothers.....

sorry Sch for bringing this into your thread, but it is something we have to deal with when any woman driver is brought up. i dont post in the danica thread no more, because that is for the danica fans and they should have it, even tho things get ugly if someone mentions her driving skills or if another woman is brought up for comparison.

dont think there is anything to appologize for. There was no comparisons to even get butt hurt over until he dragged the comparison to the thread. I dont think you dragged anything into the thread. Just repied. #### I replied.
ImageImageImage
<<

michaeljohn

Post Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:03 pm

well its just the fact like ya said, it all goes back to one driver whether we like it or not.
Next

Return to NASCAR & Racing