Well most would say there is only 4 teams still in the Championship hunt. So lets look at those in points.
1) #2-Brad Keselowski [5 wins], 2250
2) #48-Jimmie Johnson [3 wins], 2243, -7
3) #11-Denny Hamlin [5 wins], 2230, -20
4) #15-Clint Bowyer [3 wins], 2225, -25
That is a pretty tight championship run to the finish. Looks like goal of the chase is accomplished through its fabrication to do so.
But upon further review.
Without the chase screwing up what a true championship run should be crowned. You know whoever did the best that year, not just a good short run.
Points without the Chase of the top 4 in points.
1) #48-Jimmie Johnson(X) [3 wins], 1114
2) #2-Brad Keselowski(X) [5 wins], 1109, -5
3) #16-Greg Biffle(X) [2 wins], 1096, -18
4) #17-Matt Kenseth(X) [3 wins], 1089, -25
Hmm.... imagine that. Top 4 in exact same postion, but the top 3 it would have been an even tighter points race. Also when we have years like this it would have been even more special, when it is real & not corrupted by a yearly rating driven fabrication trying to force a tight points run.
Its kinda like being robbed of a close finish at an end of a race when the 2nd place guy is faster & gaining time on 1st, where we all know it is gonna come down to the wire at the checkers, only to be ruined by a late (debris) yellow so they can assure a close finish to the checkers. Kinda just ruins the race. Which is how I look at these championships. It just ruins what it is meant to be. (to me)