FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

NASCAR Deal w/Fox TV Deal

<<

Rochelle

Post Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:52 pm

NASCAR Deal w/Fox TV Deal

From Jayski...

NASCAR close to TV deal with Fox: UPDATE: NASCAR is close to finalizing a new TV deal with Fox for the first half of the Sprint Cup season, but a deal for the second half will not be wrapped up until next summer at the earliest, according to several sources. Fox started negotiations for its package earlier this spring and has agreed on the broad terms of a new deal to continue in the sport, sources said. An announcement is likely to come in the weeks after the broadcaster's media rights deal with Major League Baseball is announced officially. But the remaining inventory of NASCAR's media package will be in question for the next year. That's because ESPN and Turner Sports executives told NASCAR that they are not willing to start negotiations on their media contracts early. NASCAR approached both networks earlier this summer about new deals, but both chose to wait until their exclusive negotiating windows kick in next summer. Typically, negotiating windows last around a month. Despite declining ratings, particularly in the younger demographics, NASCAR stands to bring in more money from its next media deals. The addition of NBC Sports as a serious new bidder could create a bidding battle that could help push rights fees higher than many expect. ESPN, which carries the NASCAR Chase for the Sprint Cup Championship, is interested in renewing its deal. Turner, which carries six midseason races, is interested in adding more races to its schedule. Sources familiar with NASCAR's plans said the organization hasn't decided whether it will sell its entire package of rights to one partner, two partners or three, as it has in its current deal. That decision won't be finalized until after it's held initial conversations with ESPN and Turner. See more at Sports business Journal.(10-1-2012)
UPDATE: The curveball in a new FOX deal is the impact the network's change of SPEED into Fox Sports One, a new all sports channel that will carry Major League Baseball, college football and basketball and other sports in addition to NASCAR programming. Hoping to keep up with the likes of the ABC/ESPN, NBC/NBC Sports Network as well as CBS/CBS Sports Network pairings, FOX plans to flip the current motorsports and automotive channel into its own general sports cable network. As of now ancillary NASCAR programming such as practice, qualifying and support events like the Camping World Truck Series would be mixed into the revamped channel's content line-up. There is word FOX will also stream NASCAR programming beginning next season, ala the "Watch ESPN" initiative that will allow mobile device access for thousands of viewers. Assuming FOX comes to terms, the remainder of the new NASCAR television package is a bit fuzzier. While it appears ABC/ESPN and TNT will return to the negotiating table, the NBC's interest is a wild card. Desperate for content to help build its fledging sports net, the Peacock folks are eyeballing a return to the business of stock car racing. The Nationwide Series, currently an ABC/ESPN property, could be in play for NBC as well as the Truck Series should FOX decide to back off the amount of NASCAR programming for its cable sports network or the "World Wide Leader" scale back its stock car investment. CBS or perhaps niche outlets like "The History Channel" might also dip their toes into the negotiations.(CBS Sports)(10-3-2012)

Losing Speed to make it a Fox Sports One channel would be a disaster, at least to me. It's the one channel that carries just motorsports. If I wanted to watch all that other crap, there are plenty of other channels. I'm thinking, with all the other programming, that a lot of the NASCAR stuff like practices and qualifying may be delayed broadcasts. That, to me, would be a tragedy. What happens to the website??? Ugh, if they think ratings stink now...
"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe" - Friedrich Nietzsche
<<

racer1

Post Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:15 pm

Re: NASCAR Deal w/Fox TV Deal

Guess Fox trying to expand hasnt paid attention to the terrible low rated NBC Sports network that was created by NBC buying out the Versus network whereby the Indycar races getting less then 300,000 viewers now or hovering around a .2 or so ratings and are hyped at being the highest for that network--seriously who they kidding? Under all conditions those ratings are in the toilet and the shows or the network itself would be cancelled, but if the networks dont care then so be it, as maybe they dont know what to do?

I like the races ON Fox better then the EsPN or TNT networks and the races on Fox being reg Network TV does get better ratings and after the declining ratings for races we are seeing Iam sure Nascar is concerned as are the other networks-- but guess we'll see? :roll:
<<

beaverpond

Post Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:09 pm

I know my parents look forward to when the races are on FOX or ABC because those networks they get. When they changed satallite companies, they had no idea they were losing ESPN and TNT and SPEED. They are on a fixed income so are making due with what they have.

It will be interesting to see how this all plays out. If the History Channel and NBC get anything in the future, my parents would be happy because they have those channels.
Image Image

The Nascar Sprint Cup Champion For 2014 Is...
<<

Rochelle

Post Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:59 am

I don't mind the other channels at all, but I'm worried about what might happen to the live practices and qualifying with the other programming they'll be making available. I won't watch tape delayed sessions for that. I guess we'll just have to wait and see how it plays out.
"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe" - Friedrich Nietzsche
<<

beaverpond

Post Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:09 am

I don't know if you have ever realized that when you are watching the practices and qualifying on SPEED that it is delayed. I follow it on the NASCAR website and by the time everybody is done, they still have at least 10 drivers to show on SPEED.

My guess is that they are trying to make their advertisers happy and the fans happy by showing all of the practice or qualifying even though it is delayed by doing this.

On the day of qualifying, 10 drivers may not seem like much...but you are talking about anywhere from a 30 minute to a 1 hour delay depending on the track.
Image Image

<<

Rochelle

Post Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:28 pm

I have noticed a small delay, but for me with DirecTv, it's usually only 1 driver. What I meant by tape delay was like the other week, when it was televised hours afterward. I forget what race that was. I believe they always have a slight delay for editing purposes in case someone lets an F bomb slip. If it's over by the time they show it, I don't watch it. I don't see any point to it if you already have the starting lineup and I can do without the drivel and biased opinions. I do like to watch it live but can very well live without it. Haha, I'm old and set in my ways... :mrgreen:
<<

DanicaFan

Post Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:35 pm

I just hope thier NASCAR coverage stays as good as it is.
<<

beaverpond

Post Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:40 pm

If I remember correctly, it was the weekend at Chicago. It was the weekend with the Barrett Jackson auction on SPEED if that narrows it down.
Image Image

<<

Rochelle

Post Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:57 pm

Yes, that was it. That's what I'm afraid will happen. I used to watch Versus, but since that became NBC Sports Network, I don't even look to see what's on there anymore. I would hate for that to happen with Speed. But, I wouldn't mind them getting rid of Trackside and that idiot Voda...

Return to NASCAR & Racing