FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Kurt Busch flailing after two runs at NHRA Gatornationals

<<

peanut1439

Post Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:27 am

Kurt Busch flailing after two runs at NHRA Gatornationals

GAINESVILLE — Kurt Busch expected a "full dose of humble pie" at his professional drag-racing debut.
He got something way worse.
Busch botched both Pro Stock qualifying passes Friday at the NHRA Gatornationals, leaving him little room for error heading into today's final two runs.
"An interesting day to say the least," he said. "A lot of rookie things that I'm ready to put behind me. We've done this before. I've done testing, I know what to do, I know what to expect."
It sure didn't look that way.
The 2004 NASCAR Sprint Cup champion smoked his tires on the first run, prompting him to shut down his 1,400-horsepower engine, and covered the quarter-mile strip in 18.334 seconds. It was the slowest time among the 21 competitors.
He made even more rookie mistakes on his second try. Busch failed to "stage" his dragster within the 7-second time limit and was essentially black flagged. Officially, he "timed out," and his run did not count.
"This has too much bitter in it because I'm the one making all the mistakes," Busch said. "This is definitely one of those scenarios where things move so fast when you're doing the burnout and staging."
Busch made other mistakes, too.
He ground the gears while backing up after a burnout and nearly caught his car's parachute on a retention wall while turning off the strip.
With 12 cars already locked into the finals, Busch is among nine drivers vying for four spots in Sunday's elimination rounds. Today he gets two more passes to turn things around.
Busch expected to have some issues. After all, he doesn't have much experience in the straight-line sport. He bought a 1970 Dodge Challenger off eBay for $15,000, attended drag-racing school and got his first taste of the sport in Gainesville last year.
But heavy rain washed out much of his Sportsman class, so he decided he would get more opportunities as a pro. Since then he tested for 10 days and made more than 50 runs.
"Hopefully nobody paints my back bumper yellow," Busch said, referring to the rookie designation in NASCAR.
Those who intentionally live off another’s labor will always want more free stuff!
<<

HiddenHollow

Post Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:26 am

Re: Kurt Busch flailing after two runs at NHRA Gatornational

Never having drag raced myself, I guess it isn't as easy as it may appear.

Hope Kurt can get in a couple good runs today.
"I'll wreck my mom to win a championship. I'll wreck your mom to win a championship." - Tony Stewart, November 17, 2011

"Fight For Four" - Annalee, March 27, 2012

#StandWithSmoke #14in14
<<

peanut1439

Post Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:35 am

I understand that Tony wants to try it too. He has an invitation from someone, I just can't remember who.
Those who intentionally live off another’s labor will always want more free stuff!
<<

michaeljohn

Post Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:50 pm

the sarge.......
I will miss you Frehley........
<<

HiddenHollow

Post Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:07 pm

More HERE.
"I'll wreck my mom to win a championship. I'll wreck your mom to win a championship." - Tony Stewart, November 17, 2011

"Fight For Four" - Annalee, March 27, 2012

#StandWithSmoke #14in14
<<

duffygoofy

Post Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:36 pm

I hope he does ok.But i don't want him to win.
Peanut it was Sarge who asked Tony.
ImageImage
<<

michaeljohn

Post Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:18 pm

duffygoofy wrote:I hope he does ok.But i don't want him to win.
Peanut it was Sarge who asked Tony.

i have to ask this, why would you make a statement like that? would it really bother you if kurt won?
just by having a good run and advancing, he already won, im not a kurt fan, but it takes balls to go outside your comfort zone and try something new, for any driver, kinda like jj winning at eldora last year <snicker> :twisted: :mrgreen:
<<

duffygoofy

Post Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:34 pm

Don't like what i said then don't read it.It's a free country can say whatever I want. :roll:
ImageImage
<<

peanut1439

Post Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:37 pm

No worries, you usually do spout off but usually it's about me,, I see I'm not dissapointed.. hahahahahahahaha
<<

duffygoofy

Post Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:56 pm

Guess your not aloud to voice your opinon
ImageImage
<<

peanut1439

Post Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:16 pm

duffygoofy wrote:Guess your not aloud to voice your opinon

Sure you are duffy, just consider the source & laff. I don't care how Kurt does in the drag racing thing (I heard he did better today) But , I agree, I don't want him to win even 1 race in the Cup series..lol ;) Wish they had a bar here, I'd buy you a drink !!!!
<<

peanut1439

Post Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:34 pm

UPDATE

Kurt Busch makes elimination rounds at NHRA event

GAINESVILLE, Fla. — Former NASCAR champion Kurt Busch has advanced to the elimination rounds in his professional drag-racing debut.
The 2004 Sprint Cup champion bounced back from two error-filled qualifying runs Friday with two solid passes Saturday at the NHRA Gatornationals. He covered the quarter-mile strip in 6.532 seconds and reached 211.46 mph in the Pro Stock division.

Busch will face Erica Enders in the first round of the 16-car field Sunday. The winner will advance to the next round, and the loser will go home.

Making the eliminations was exactly what Busch had hoped for after months of preparation for his pro debut. He spent 10 days testing and made more than 50 practice runs before coming to Gainesville, where he raced in the Sportsman class last year.
<<

duffygoofy

Post Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:05 pm

I seen on NHRA site that he did make it in.Thats cool but i still say lose.Greg or Jason will take him out,Hey maybe Erica will in first round.HAHAHAHA! :lol: I will be :D if she does.
ImageImage
<<

duffygoofy

Post Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:44 pm

I give Kurt credit for trying but like i said HaHa Eric beat you.So 8-)
ImageImage
<<

michaeljohn

Post Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:20 pm

you people need to lighten up, all you and peanut do is look for negativity, i was simply asking why you didnt wanna see kurt win, but i forgot, you two lack common sense and dont know how to interact with people, all you know how to do is pick people apart and insult them when they ask a question, unlike peanut who posts fake articles then blames it on people that sends it to him or her, doesnt take the time to see if the story is correct,

TROLLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Next

Return to NASCAR & Racing