FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Hey to the open wheel guru's

<<

Schmoopy1000

Post Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:39 am

Re: Hey to the open wheel guru's

palino_s wrote:Williams didnt deserve to be sued.. Italian idiots deserve to be sued.. Organizers knew circuit was dangerous, but they ignored safety.. No tire barriers, no run out zones, etc.. Especially section from last turn to Tosa was very nice but very dangerous.. That section had two fast straightaways with two fast corners (Tamburello and Villeneuve's turn).. In 1987 and 1989 Nelson Piquet and Gerhard Berger had heavy accident in Tamburello.

1987 Tamburello - Nelson Piquet

1989 Tamburello - Gerhard Berger

1994 Imola Grand Prix was horrible and tragic.. Roland Ratzenberger and Ayrton Senna lost lifes, Rubens Barrichello was in coma (he had heavy accident in Variante Bassa), some Ferrari and Lotus mechanics were injured (Michele Alboreto lost tire in pit lane) and some spectators were injured (starting collison between JJ Lehto and Pedro Lamy - parts of the cars went over the safety fencing designed)..

Wow those are some big names getting injured at that place.
that last you tube though shows how far safety crews has came. That one said it took them 16 seconds. Back in the day in the williamson crash it is said they took 8 minutes. Wasnt aware of Barrichello being in a coma. Is that why he doesnt race F-1 anymore?
1st time I remember knowing about him was as Schmachers teammate, & he was ordered to slow down (practically stop) so Schmacher could win the race. Always thought he would become a big name in F-1.
ImageImageImage
<<

palino_s

Post Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:29 pm

Schmoopy1000 wrote:Wow those are some big names getting injured at that place.
that last you tube though shows how far safety crews has came. That one said it took them 16 seconds. Back in the day in the williamson crash it is said they took 8 minutes. Wasnt aware of Barrichello being in a coma. Is that why he doesnt race F-1 anymore?

Nope, Rubens retired last year. In 2012 he is IndyCar driver..

Track marshalls stood around Senna more than 10 minutes.. They was doing nothing..

Rubens - Imola 1994:

#10 (Danica), #14, #24, #32 (Terry), #39, #42
<<

Schmoopy1000

Post Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:29 pm

Yeah I knew he went to Indy cars. I didnt realize you meant he was injured in the same race that killed Senna in 94'. That was before I knew who he was.
Holy crap that is a death track. one parts failure or mistake & the costs are to high (IMO)

I couldnt believe they just pushed the car over. Did you see his head bounce around when they turned him back over. Good thing he didnt have a neck/spine injury.

Yeah I saw that with Senna. Dont think they were medical personnel. It was sad seeing him just lay in the cockpit. His head did move once, but I figured it was from a convulsion or something, since my understanding was he was knocked out on impact. Still never really answered if it was the piece of metal that went into his helmet or the force hitting the wall that killed him.
The medical guy when they had senna beside his car, said that from his neurological signs that he knew it would become a fatality. They were in different color uniforms that the guys that 1st got there.
ImageImageImage
<<

palino_s

Post Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:58 am

Schmoopy1000 wrote:Yeah I knew he went to Indy cars. I didnt realize you meant he was injured in the same race that killed Senna in 94'. That was before I knew who he was.
Holy crap that is a death track. one parts failure or mistake & the costs are to high (IMO)

I couldnt believe they just pushed the car over. Did you see his head bounce around when they turned him back over. Good thing he didnt have a neck/spine injury.

Yeah I saw that with Senna. Dont think they were medical personnel. It was sad seeing him just lay in the cockpit. His head did move once, but I figured it was from a convulsion or something, since my understanding was he was knocked out on impact. Still never really answered if it was the piece of metal that went into his helmet or the force hitting the wall that killed him.
The medical guy when they had senna beside his car, said that from his neurological signs that he knew it would become a fatality. They were in different color uniforms that the guys that 1st got there.

Medical guy was Sid Watkins.. He dead 3 days ago..

Neglect of safety killed Senna and Ratzenberger.. Tamburello (Senna's crash) and Villeneuve's turn (Ratzenberger's crash) were full-speed corners.. Safety was very poor, no tire barriers, no run out zones in this corners.. Both hits were in full speed (190+ mph), with no braking.. Ouch..

Rubens went over the tire barriers.. WTF?
#10 (Danica), #14, #24, #32 (Terry), #39, #42
Previous

Return to NASCAR & Racing