FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

RCR considering Kurt Busch

<<

jamo14

Post Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:34 pm

RCR considering Kurt Busch

By David Newton | ESPN.com

RICHMOND, Va. -- The owner of Richard Childress Racing has discussed putting 2004 Sprint Cup champion Kurt Busch in a fourth car next season if sponsorship can be found.

"I have talked to Kurt about running a full season with a fourth team if we had sponsorship,'' Childress told ESPN.com on Friday at Richmond International Raceway. "He's a very, very talented driver.

"I like Kurt. Kurt and I would get along. There's just not a sponsor out there today that can fill a complete car.''

Busch through a team public relations representative said he had nothing to add to Childress' comments.

Childress said he should know his entire driver lineup by mid-October. He plans to field three Sprint Cup teams with drivers Kevin Harvick, Paul Menard and Jeff Burton, as well as three Nationwide teams.

Childress' grandson Austin Dillon will drive one of the full-time Nationwide cars with grandson Ty Dillon driving 8-10 Nationwide races while running a full-time Truck Series schedule.

Nationwide points leader Elliott Sadler and sponsor One Main Financial are leaving after this season, so that seat is open. But Childress said he still has plenty of sponsorship to run three Nationwide teams.

Childress shut down his fourth Cup team after last season when sponsorship could not be secured for Clint Bowyer, who moved to Michael Waltrip Racing. He believes the sometimes controversial Busch -- with a title and 24 career wins -- would be a good fit at RCR.

"He and I would get along, and he would listen to me,'' Childress said of Busch. "One thing he needs is somebody, when he does do wrong, to discuss how to handle it.''

Busch was released from the No. 22 at Penske Racing after the 2011 season finale at Homestead-Miami Speedway where he unleashed a profanity-laced tirade at ESPN's Dr. Jerry Punch. He has spent this season driving for underfunded and primarily unsponsored Phoenix Racing.

He was suspended earlier this year after making threatening comments to a reporter after a Nationwide race at Dover.

Phoenix Racing general manager Steve Barkdoll told ESPN.com recently that owner James Finch would welcome Busch back in 2013 if sponsorship was found.

But Busch's goal has been to return to a top organization such as RCR.

"He's a helluva race driver,'' Childress said. "If the sponsorship was there, we'd race him.''

Asked the likelihood of sponsorship being secured, Childress added, "It's getting late in the year.''
Do something with your life and go get me a beer.

<<

Rochelle

Post Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:03 am

Re: RCR considering Kurt Busch

I'm sorry, I can't stop laughing :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe" - Friedrich Nietzsche
<<

Schmoopy1000

Post Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:31 am

yeah I can see Childress saying. 1st off let me tell you I am sorry for slapping the $hit out of your brother. LOL

I couldnt imagine Kurt & Harvick getting along in the same stable.
ImageImageImage
<<

midwesternsmoke

Post Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:09 am

Childress oughtta #### Menard......he sure as #### hasn't produced much that I'm aware of except of course DADDY's $$$$$$$ :shock: :shock: :shock:
Unless you've experienced the Unconditional Love and Loyalty of a good dog, you have yet to live.
"GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS,ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS"[/[color=#FF4000]
color]
<<

michaeljohn

Post Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:07 am

he won the brickyard, says alot in itself and im sure someone like menard wouldnt was 5 cents sponsoring an egotistical jerk like kurt, and thats what he is,
I will miss you Frehley........
<<

Smoke14TS

Post Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:14 am

michaeljohn wrote:he won the brickyard, says alot in itself and im sure someone like menard wouldnt was 5 cents sponsoring an egotistical jerk like kurt, and thats what he is,

You're giving John Menard a little too much credit.

I can't imagine Busch and Harvick on the same team. They had their issues long before Kyle came along, Kyle's said before the thinks Harvick's animosity towards him both stems from his brother and the incident they had at Dover in a Busch race in 2005. Kevin and Kurt wasn't a heat of the moment deal, like when Bowyer got mad at Waltrip a couple times and then wound up driving for him. There is - or at least was - an intense mutual dislike, same as with Kyle.
"This one's for every one of those fans in the stands that pull for me every week and take all the bull**** from everybody else." - Tony Stewart, July 29, 2007

"My fans have more balls." - Tony Stewart on Jeff Gordon's fans.
<<

michaeljohn

Post Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:34 am

i cant see harvick going along with kurt bein a teammate, kurt rubs most of the drivers the wrong way, for awhile there he was taking credit for ryan winning the 500 race, often times when they show driver intros, who standing alone, kurt, cuz he has burned so many bridges, he is a phoney and cares about one person, himself
I will miss you Frehley........
<<

ndunn

Post Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:45 pm

Schmoopy1000 wrote:yeah I can see Childress saying. 1st off let me tell you I am sorry for slapping the $hit out of your brother. LOL

I couldnt imagine Kurt & Harvick getting along in the same stable.

When pigs fly. I doubt Childish knows how to apologize. But who knows the two might just get along fine and give Richard a chance to let the grandsons do their own thing.
The Military Thanks You For Standing Behind Them. If You Can't Do that You Can Always Stand In Front Of Them.....Think About It.....

Thank you to those who took a step forward to save the rest who stand still.
<<

Smokeshow14

Post Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:52 pm

No way Harvick and Kurt Busch could be teammates. They have had a mutual dislike for each other since 2003. And it would funny if Kurt drove for someone who punched his younger brother lol.

Crazier things have happened though.
Cup: 14, 1, 29, 88, 99, 11, 17, 39, 15, 5, 2, 16
NW: 7, 31, 3, 11, 60, 88, 12
Trucks: 9, 88, 3, 7, 17, 31
IRL: 10, 11, 12, 26, 3, 38, 27
RIP Dan Wheldon
"Fight for Four"- Annalee
You got to have a big gigantic drum kit.
<<

wolfgang

Post Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:57 pm

Still,i can't stop laughing at the thought of Rubberneck and Cupcake on the same teams.lmao!
The other hand,who'd want to sponsor a childress team much longer,they only run good when the contract is ready to expire for either sponsor or driver. ;)
One, two, three and one more Hendrick driver to go!
<<

Smoke14Wins

Post Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:28 pm

I know, for some people, they start to lose their mind when they get older. So RCR's mind is going now.
:roll:
Smoke
"We know that Mother Nature is a woman. If she were a man, there would be no rain on race day."
<<

Schmoopy1000

Post Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:00 pm

wolfgang wrote:Still,i can't stop laughing at the thought of Rubberneck and Cupcake on the same teams.lmao!
The other hand,who'd want to sponsor a childress team much longer,they only run good when the contract is ready to expire for either sponsor or driver. ;)

MMA could sponsor them LOL
Kurt can walk around calling himself the peoples Champion & Harvick can clobber him from behind with a chair. Then look into the camera & thank his sponsor the WWE. :mrgreen:
ImageImageImage
<<

Rochelle

Post Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:04 pm

"He and I would get along, and he would listen to me,'' Childress said of Busch. "One thing he needs is somebody, when he does do wrong, to discuss how to handle it.''

He is delusional. I'll hold his rings while he slaps himself
"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe" - Friedrich Nietzsche
<<

Schmoopy1000

Post Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:09 pm

Rochelle wrote:"He and I would get along, and he would listen to me,'' Childress said of Busch. "One thing he needs is somebody, when he does do wrong, to discuss how to handle it.''

He is delusional. I'll hold his rings while he slaps himself

ImageImageImage

Return to NASCAR & Racing