FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

NASCAR Puts Limits On Hendrick Development

<<

HiddenHollow

Post Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:40 pm

NASCAR Puts Limits On Hendrick Development

By JENNA FRYER (AP Auto Racing Writer) | The Associated Press – 12 minutes ago

RICHMOND, Va. (AP) -- NASCAR on Thursday passed a rule that will curb the ability of teams to set their cars up in a way that gives the driver easier rear steer.

The technical bulletin issued by NASCAR goes into effect next week at Chicago, when the Chase for the Sprint Cup championship begins, and many believe it is aimed directly at powerhouse Hendrick Motorsports.

Drivers have alleged for months that Hendrick made gains in the rear housing this season that gave its cars an aerodynamic advantage. NASCAR has maintained through the complaints that the Hendrick teams weren't breaking any rules, which four-time champion Jeff Gordon reiterated.

''When we presented it to NASCAR for approval, they didn't act like it was something they had never seen before,'' Gordon said. ''I don't even think we were the first ones to do it.''

Gordon also alleged most everyone in the garage is doing the same thing now, which Kyle Busch confirmed - with a caveat.

''We all started working on it once we saw what they were doing,'' Busch said. ''It's follow the leader. You really don't have many secrets here in the garage area very long. We started going to work on those kind of things, too, and trying to manipulate some of the same things they were doing.''

Starting next week, NASCAR is limiting the amount of movement of the bushings located in the rear suspension to a quarter of an inch. The bushings are sleeves made of rubber or other materials located near the rear mounting points. Hendrick teams found a way to make them softer and softer in an effort to let the truck arms move and help steer the rear of the cars in the turns.

Brad Keselowski has been one of the most vocal critics of the development Hendrick has done, but NASCAR could do nothing.

''It's an advantage, but it's a legal advantage,'' Busch said. ''There is nothing illegal with what they were doing.''

But there will be limits starting next week, when Hendrick will have at least two and possibly all four of its drivers racing for the championship. Five-time champion Jimmie Johnson and Dale Earnhardt Jr. are already in the Chase, while Kasey Kahne and Gordon are trying to lock down wild card spots Saturday night at Richmond.

Gordon said the Hendrick cars are doing the same thing as everyone else in the garage.

''When you watch on TV and see the cars skewed, running sideways down the straightaways, it's pretty obvious what everybody is trying to do - everybody is trying to get as much downforce in the car as possible,'' Gordon said. ''And every time NASCAR comes up with a rule, you go OK, 'How do we get around the rule?' I feel like that's what everybody is doing, and our guys have done a lot of work in that area to gain that advantage and I give them all the credit in the world.''
"I'll wreck my mom to win a championship. I'll wreck your mom to win a championship." - Tony Stewart, November 17, 2011

"Fight For Four" - Annalee, March 27, 2012

#StandWithSmoke #14in14
<<

tonysgirl14

Post Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:57 pm

Re: NASCAR Puts Limits On Hendrick Development

about time
<<

wolfgang

Post Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:58 pm

The one who spends the most money wins,doesn't surprise me and it wouldn't in other areas as well. ;) HMS is the Yankees of Nascar,but it doesn't say much for three out of four teams-sooooo,what's their excuse for not running like the #48,driver- c/c or both?
<<

Rochelle

Post Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:43 pm

Oh waaaaaaa people. If it was such an advantage, why isn't HMS winning more? But don't worry, Chad will figure something else out and we can all have something to gripe about then.

HMS has 7 wins with 4 cars
JGR has 6 wins with 3 cars
Rousch has 3 wins with 3 cars
Penske has 3 wins with 2 cars

Or, if you want to count SHR with HMS then it would be 11 wins with 6 cars

I lumped all the wins together regardless of which cars within those teams won.

I just don't see an advantage, but if there was one, then SHR won't be able to use it either.
"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe" - Friedrich Nietzsche
<<

Schmoopy1000

Post Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:18 am

I dont think SHR is privy to HMS secrets.
Also Looks like Brad talking publicly made nascar make a move. Betcha HMS isnt very happy with him right now. Listening to Kyle, JGR might not be to happy with him either.
ImageImageImage
<<

Annalee

Post Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:43 am

tonysgirl14 wrote:about time

THANK YOU TG14......AMEN, TO NO MORE MOVING PARTS.....ALSO SPECIAL SHOUT OUT TO BRAD :lol:
"Fight for Four".......................me

I #Support Smoke
<<

michaeljohn

Post Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:21 am

they still did nothing wrong, unless you call hard work something wrong :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

ya for brad for bein a lil baby squealer, this coming from the horse face who claimed he was going to be gordon's replacement when he drove for Jr, sorry brad, your not even a tenth of driver that gordon is,
<<

michaeljohn

Post Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:29 am

Rochelle wrote:
I just don't see an advantage, but if there was one, then SHR won't be able to use it either.

please rochelle, dont use common sense, it will screw some people up.
<<

Smokeshow14

Post Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:35 am

This means nothing. Hendrick isn't just going to stop being Hendrick. They are still going to win races. NASCAR may try to make the rules tighter. But Hendrick has $ and $= speed.

Chad Knaus brought this on HMS when he told JJ to hit the wall if they won at Talladega last year. That really opened NASCAR's eyes and ever since then they have been watching them closely. Brad talking about it at Michigan didn't hurt either.
Cup: 14, 1, 29, 88, 99, 11, 17, 39, 15, 5, 2, 16
NW: 7, 31, 3, 11, 60, 88, 12
Trucks: 9, 88, 3, 7, 17, 31
IRL: 10, 11, 12, 26, 3, 38, 27
RIP Dan Wheldon
"Fight for Four"- Annalee
You got to have a big gigantic drum kit.
<<

HTower

Post Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:53 am

Inovation led to an advantage but now regulation will limit the extent of the "advantage". I say "advantage" because as noted, everyone is doing it.
<<

jamo14

Post Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:18 pm

Now that all the teams have caught on (and now doing it), NASCAR makes a rule to limit the size of the bushing. Guess everyone will have to wait and see what else they can copy from the best CC in the business....or better yet, study the bloody rulebook and fabricate your own advantages.

Penske and Ganassi are sure as heck smart enough to eventually have rules written because of them...and you know Roush and Gibbs are too...heck Childress used to be the King of controlling the rule book.
Do something with your life and go get me a beer.

<<

Rochelle

Post Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:43 pm

jamo14 wrote:Now that all the teams have caught on (and now doing it), NASCAR makes a rule to limit the size of the bushing. Guess everyone will have to wait and see what else they can copy from the best CC in the business....or better yet, study the bloody rulebook and fabricate your own advantages.

Penske and Ganassi are sure as heck smart enough to eventually have rules written because of them...and you know Roush and Gibbs are too...heck Childress used to be the King of controlling the rule book.

Amen jamo!

It's not a HMS secret or no one else would be doing it. Chad figured it out 1st because he won't settle for mediocre. The sport was made by people like Chad. You may not like it, but I'll bet there's not one team that wouldn't give their right arm to have Chad as their crew chief.

I wish people would have more of an open mind and stop being so critical. There are so many better things to do than bash HMS, like living your life. Maybe take some of that energy you use just waiting for a chance to jump all over HMS and do something positive with it. We all have some things we are very passionate about, but geez, this is getting old.
"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe" - Friedrich Nietzsche
<<

Schmoopy1000

Post Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:12 pm

I wonder how much of these HMS innovations actually come from Chad or if he just gets credit due to his willingness to push the grey area?
Or is it some brainiac HMS leaves in a dark mad lab figuring this stuff out & Chad says sure I'll try it!

What I find interesting right now is the timing.
HMS drivers are now used to driving with this innovation & now going into the chase they will have to get used to a different feeling car. meanwhile Brad & whoever else werent using whatever they are talking about will still be used to the feel of their cars.

I think they should allow Teams to use any shock combos they want. Let the drivers loose with what they can handle.
All these rules have killed driver talent, so everyone can drive virtually the same car. So even the 43rd most talented driver can run lap times close to the most talented driver out there. I hate Nascar over micromanging the teams. Think Mascar should make sure every team has the option of the same equipment, beyond that let the mad scientists do there thing. if the drivers can handle it, so be it. Wish they would make rules to put it back in drivers hands.
I actually wish they just made them put the rear end where it belongs & let the drivers have to steer the corners. Offsetting the rear end is a dirt track thing. BTW I think HMS was the 1st to do that as well years back. They are always innovating. I just wish Nascar would give back the shocks to the teams to play with. Some of these rules are so ridiculous.
ImageImageImage
<<

Rochelle

Post Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:27 pm

haha... It could be Dr. Knaus and Mr. Hyde?

I agree about the rules. There's nothing "stock" about these cars anymore. It's a different NASCAR now and I don't think it's changed for the better. The one thing I don't get though is that starting next week they've designated the size of the bushing, but what HMS did was to use a softer compound. So I'm confused with all this.
<<

Schmoopy1000

Post Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:41 pm

is Brad implying they dont enforce the rules equally?
http://www.nascar.com/video/preview/sou ... index.html
ImageImageImage
Next

Return to NASCAR & Racing