FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

Lowe's to donate $133,000 to Red Cross:

<<

michaeljohn

Post Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:43 am

Lowe's to donate $133,000 to Red Cross:

maybe Lowes isnt so bad................... 23 million dollars since 1999

Lowe's announced it will donate $133,966 to support American Red Cross relief efforts in response to Hurricane Isaac. As part of Lowe's Racing for Relief program, Lowe's matched the earnings of five-time Sprint Cup champion Jimmie Johnson from Sunday's NASCAR race at Atlanta Motor Speedway. Johnson and Hendrick Motorsports together will donate an additional $48,000 to the Red Cross. The donations will help provide food, shelter, emotional support and other assistance to those affected by Hurricane Isaac. In addition, Lowe's stores throughout the United States are accepting donations to the Red Cross at every register. Since partnering with the Red Cross in 1999, Lowe's and its customers have contributed more than $23 million for disaster relief. To date, Racing for Relief has raised more than $750,000. In addition to Racing for Relief and Lowe's customer donation program, Lowe's Heroes will continue to distribute critically needed relief supplies and work alongside The First Response Team of America as it responds to Hurricane Isaac. In June, Lowe's Charitable and Educational Foundation awarded a $250,000 grant to the First Response Team, a nonprofit organization dedicated to working with local agencies to help save lives following natural disasters. To join Lowe's in its disaster relief efforts, make a donation to the American Red Cross at your nearest Lowe's store or at Lowe's American Red Cross Online Donation Site. Donors also can text REDCROSS to 90999 or call 1-800-RED-CROSS (1-800-733-2767).(HMS)(9-5-2012)
<<

HTower

Post Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:52 am

Re: Lowe's to donate $133,000 to Red Cross:

Lowes is a classy organization 8-)
<<

Smokeshow14

Post Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:02 pm

Most of these companies only do charity for two reasons. 1) good publicity. 2) Tax write off. Don't know where Lowes fits into that. But just remember how much money these companies get back after taxes. Sorry I am a bit cynical when it comes to this.
Cup: 14, 1, 29, 88, 99, 11, 17, 39, 15, 5, 2, 16
NW: 7, 31, 3, 11, 60, 88, 12
Trucks: 9, 88, 3, 7, 17, 31
IRL: 10, 11, 12, 26, 3, 38, 27
RIP Dan Wheldon
"Fight for Four"- Annalee
You got to have a big gigantic drum kit.
<<

Rochelle

Post Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:56 pm

Smokeshow14 wrote:Most of these companies only do charity for two reasons. 1) good publicity. 2) Tax write off. Don't know where Lowes fits into that. But just remember how much money these companies get back after taxes. Sorry I am a bit cynical when it comes to this.

It's very cynical to categorize them like that. How about that it's just the right thing to do? Not trying to be mean here, but I hope you never need any assistance due to a natural disaster or for any other reason.

The main thing here is that they're helping a lot of people, regardless of the reason. I think it was on an episode of "Friends", something about there is no totally selfless act. Through all the scenarios, they could not find one. I think the moral here is that it doesn't matter as long as someone that needs help receives it.

I, for one, have helped on a few "Habitat for Humanity" projects in my area. I can't say I didn't receive anything for it, I did get free lunches and all the water I could drink. But the best thing I received was the gratitude of the families we were helping. Bottom line is helping those in need, I don't care what anyone else gets out of it.

Who's next in line for the soap box?
"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe" - Friedrich Nietzsche
<<

HTower

Post Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:27 pm

Smokeshow14 wrote:Most of these companies only do charity for two reasons. 1) good publicity. 2) Tax write off. Don't know where Lowes fits into that. But just remember how much money these companies get back after taxes. Sorry I am a bit cynical when it comes to this.

A bit of a cynic? :shock:
<<

michaeljohn

Post Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:59 pm

im sure if it was a sponsor of tony's or jamie mac, it would be acceptable and their reason would be more legit, so i guess the back pack idea office depot came up with was just a scam for their taxes, and the last thing they wanted to do was to help kids who parent couldnt offord school suplies, even in your comments, you insult them and the hard work they do, this has nothing to do with the racing team, if you read it they only raised 750 grand in 13 years, i guess when katrina happened, first thing on lowes mind was " boy this will look good on our taxes." think what you want, it is your right, but to think there is a hidden agenda behind this, its kinda insulting to those who have helped donate over the years

Return to NASCAR & Racing